'Eating Light' - A Discussion and Exercise for Imagination (Gurdjieff)

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Federica

Re: 'Eating Light' - A Discussion and Exercise for Imagination (Gurdjieff)

Post by Federica »

mikekatz wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:09 pm First off, lol, would you set Steiner aside for the undoubtedly racist comments he made?
In the lectures, published as a book with the English title The Mission of Individual Souls, he writes ”The Black or Negro race is substantially determined by these childhood characteristics. If we now cross over to Asia, we find a point or center where the formative forces of the Earth impress permanently on man the particular characteristics of later youth or adolescence and determine his racial character... If we continue northward and then turn in a westernly direction towards Europe, a third point or center is reached which permanently impresses upon man the characteristics of his adult life.”
I think motive is the issue here. Gurdjieff was very good at making money. He could have been a multimillionaire and lived a life of luxury. But he chose to try to impart what he had learned instead. This involved having fulltime pupils, sometimes a hundred or so. He was responsible for accommodating, feeding, and moving them around sometimes, even in the middle of wars. It's said that he once became a spy so that he could get papers to allow him to move his entourage between countries during wartime.

Gurdjieff maintained that we are all completely trapped in our ego. We need to be literally shocked out of it, and anything that got you out of the ego was good, even if it looked bad to the outside world. So he lost many people and was heavily criticized during his life and afterwards. Did he sometimes fail as a human being and do things out of personal lust and greed? Maybe, who knows?

There's a Zen story, I forget the details, where a master and his pupil undertake a journey. On the way, the master does some outrageous things. I think he knocks down part of a wall. The pupil is stunned, but the master refuses to explain. On the way back, the pupil sees how the things the master had done had benefitted everyone.

And there's the railway morality question. There are two tracks. On one, there is a person trapped on the track, and on the other there are five people trapped on the track. There is a train coming, and you have a switch to change tracks in front of you. if you don't throw the switch, five people die. If you do, one person dies and you have sent them personally to their death. What do you do?

Gurdjieff gave a talk once about what he called "the money question", and he was unapologetic about ripping people off sometimes. He did it to allow his group to continue existing and learning. There was no personal gain involved. Was he right? Is there such a thing as right when the train is coming?

So would I behave like Gurdjieff? No! Could I behave like him even if I saw the real need for it? I doubt it.

In Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson, Gurdjieff often uses the phrase "conscious labors and intentional suffering" as a necessary activity to evolve. Conscious labours as in the hard work required to be constantly conscious (self aware), and intentional suffering as in doing something completely foreign to your ego, to help you break your false ego. He frequently required pupils and potential pupils to make herculean efforts, and most were not prepared to. He himself accomplished tasks that his pupils deemed impossible to achieve.

Ouspensky's In Search of the Miraculous is an incredibly detailed exposition of Gurdjieff's system, in Gurdjieff's own words. You cannot doubt his knowledge or his sincerity if you read it.

First, Mike, on idealistic forum ground we don’t set anything aside :)

Second, what I don’t feel sympathy for in Gurdjieff is his moral conduct in life, not his ideas. Now you are pointing to something that is (supposedly) part of Steiner’s ideas, not his conduct in life, so it’s two different things.

Third, we can still look at this different question you are pointing to, because we don't set anything aside. But for now I have gained no sense of what makes you speak of “undoubtedly racist comments”. If some of Steiner’s comments really sound undoubtedly racist to you, you don’t seem to have done your very best to convey this sense. Is this an anonymous quote of an anonymous quote? What is the language use of reference we should place ourselves in when considering the idea in question? And what was that idea? The idea is the only thing that counts here, of course.

Waiting for these questions to be clarified, I can share what I know right now about Steiner’s ideas, based on what I have carefully read, which is PoF. It's beyond doubt to me that the ideas expressed there are unequivocally incompatible with racism. Doing my best to convey this sense, my invitation is to recall the definition of racism (here below, first up in google search) then read the following passage from PoF. I think that should be about enough.
Oxford Dictionaries wrote:racism
/ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/
noun
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
Steiner - PoF Ch. XV. The Individual and the Genus - wrote:The view that man is a wholly self-contained, free individuality stands in apparent conflict with the facts, that he appears as a member of a natural whole (race, tribe, nation, family, male or female sex), and that he acts within a whole (state, church, etc.). He exhibits the general characteristics of the community to which he belongs, and gives to his actions a content which is defined by the place which he occupies within a social whole.
This being so, is any individuality left at all? Can we regard man as a whole in himself, in view of the fact that he grows out of a whole and fits as a member into a whole?
The character and function of a member of a whole are defined by the whole. A tribe is a whole, and all members of the tribe exhibit the peculiar characteristics which are conditioned by the nature of the tribe. The character and activity of the individual member are determined by the character of the tribe. Hence the physiognomy and the conduct of the individual have something generic about them. When we ask why this or that is so or so, we are referred from the individual to the genus. The genus explains why something in the individual appears in the forms observed by us.
But man emancipates himself from these generic characteristics. He develops qualities and activities the reason for which we can seek only in himself. The generic factors serve him only as a means to develop his own individual nature. He uses the peculiarities with which nature has endowed him as material, and gives them a form which expresses his own individuality. We seek in vain for the reason for such an expression of a man's individuality in the laws of the genus. We are dealing here with an individual who can be explained only through himself. If a man has reached the point of emancipation from what is generic in him, and we still attempt to explain all his qualities by reference to the character of the genus, then we lack the organ for apprehending what is individual.
It is impossible to understand a human being completely if one makes the concept of the genus the basis of one's judgment.

Back to Gurdjieff and your questions about moral action in the face of necessity and what is right or wrong in extreme situations. I don’t doubt Gurdjieff's sincerity and knowledge. Sure he was convinced his choices were necessary, but does such a conviction give anyone any credit or justification? It is, after all, perceived necessity we all have to deal with. On your railway morality question: yes, there must be a right thing to do in every situation. It doesn’t make any sense to me that right and wrong course of action only apply when life is easy, but when things get tough, then we are not supposed to be responsible anymore and we can be excused by necessity. The posed dilemma in itself does not make sense, because in real life there is no way the situation could present itself to us in such abstract terms. The question challenges us to consider our concrete behaviors, so it should not constrain us in ways that are impossible to materialize in real life. In real life our behavior would depend on our overall understanding of all the specific constraints and possibilities made available in the unique situation we would be facing. One element of that understanding would be how we answer the question whether we can do the math of the value of life the same way we do the math of our current account.
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:49 am Regardless of whether we should 'set aside' teachings due to someone's personal inclinations or actions, which I am also reluctant on, and assume it depends on what exactly we are dealing with and how it relates to the teachings (we can always separate ideas from any individual personality, but not necessarily specific teachings on those ideas), ...
Ashvin, I wonder if you could briefly elaborate.
I am not sure if you are saying it's ok to disregard the person's conduct and appreciate the teachings - but only for certain teachings?
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:57 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:49 am Regardless of whether we should 'set aside' teachings due to someone's personal inclinations or actions, which I am also reluctant on, and assume it depends on what exactly we are dealing with and how it relates to the teachings (we can always separate ideas from any individual personality, but not necessarily specific teachings on those ideas), ...
Ashvin, I wonder if you could briefly elaborate.
I am not sure if you are saying it's ok to disregard the person's conduct and appreciate the teachings - but only for certain teachings?
Federica,

I can imagine situations in which, if for no other reason than lack of time and focus, I would find it reasonable to steer clear of a personality's spiritual teachings due to the 'warning signs' of how they lived their personal lives. I think a person who was obsessed with material wealth and pursuits is a good example of that. I distinguish between ideas and teachings here - let's say the idea is the involution-evolution of humanity's body-soul-spirit through the ages, while the teaching comes in the form of specific details of how this unfolded discerned by the author's [claimed] original spiritual research. I suppose it would be important that I already have the understanding of archetypal soul-forces which would make the personal habits to be a good reflection of what sorts of errors/lies they could manifest along the way and project into their teachings. So it is more of a thoroughly reasoned "disregard". I wouldn't use this as an argument against someone else's arguments in favor of the teachings, though, unless the latter were based around the personality of the teacher.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Here's another interesting post from that FB thread.

Waking Up in Subconsciousness

The Seeker's first attempts at 'being present', or exercising 'self-awareness' in the present moment, tend only to involve the surface of their being. As 'awareness' and 'attention' have not been developed, only the most 'gross' and 'superficial' aspects of their being are available to them when they exercise this form of 'self-awareness'. They may be aware of only the tip of their iceberg.

Naturally, this exercise of 'self-awareness' may bring a certain state of relative 'calm' or 'ease' to one who has been mired in more negative states. On the other hand, this exercise of self-awarenes may also bring greater 'disturbance' if there is some 'negative' reaction to what is brought into awareness. In either case, the relative peace or disturbance is of this superficial level, concerning the surface of the being only.

If the awareness and attention remain undeveloped, such that they are only able to register the surface activity and manifestations, then the seeker will remain unaware of the deeper currents that influence and move his being. The greater part of his thoughts and feelings will remain outside of his subjective awareness. This not only has a bearing on his possible self-knowledge but also his self-transformation.

If the seeker cannot penetrate to the deeper levels of his being, then he may remain without the means to facilitate significant inner transformation. He may observe certain surface activity and mainfestations of his thoughts and feelings etc, but he may not penetrate directly into their real origin in order to yield direct insight and understanding. Along with remaining ignorant of the true nature of the greater part of his own being, the seeker also misses out on the wealth of experience that lies, and operates, beyond the capacities of his given subjective attention and awareness. The 'subtle' layer and capacities of thought and feeling remain inaccessible to him, and yet it is these capacities that are most vital in order to facilitate his transformation.

The given subjective attention and awareness, that the seeker can exericse, is 'partial' and 'limited' in its nature. It consists of a surface awareness that is facilitated by the automatic interaction of his three centers/brains. A certain 'amount' of 'free' attention is made available to him through the functioning of his organism. It is this that the seeker makes use of in his efforts towards self consciousness and self knowledge. The seeker may use this 'free', available attention in various ways and he may influence his experience and functioning accordingly. If the seekers efforts remain at this level, using the given form of available subjective attention, then all his work and its results will also remain at a certain level.

In order for more significant transformation to be made possible, the seeker needs to directly access the form of attention and consciousness that operates 'within' the centers/brains themselves. This form of attention and consciousness has significantly greater potential when it comes to facilitating self knowledge and self transformation.

In the terms of the work, this corresponds to gaining access to the 'subconciousness';- which Gurdjieff regarded as the 'real consciousness of man'. This form of attention and consciousness is radically different to the given form of attention and consciousness;- which is called the 'waking consciousness' by Gurdjieff and is regarded as the 'fictitious' consciousness when compared to the 'subconsciousness'.

The 'present moment', or 'now', of this subconsciousness is quite different to that of the given waking consciousness. Regardless of the man's subjective efforts at 'prolonging' his given form of 'self-awareness', this form of attention and awareness of the waking consciousness cannot proceed beyond a certain point. Certain things are forever prohibited from entering this form of attention and awareness of the waking consciousness. Regardless of its apparent 'duration' or 'clarity', there is always a certain limit to this attention and awareness of the waking consciousness. The 'present moment', or 'now', of this waking consciousness is of a certain nature, andthis provides the given limits of its potential regarding self knowledge and self transformation.

If a seeker's work is to proceed beyond a certain limit, then it is essential that they establish and develop the form of 'contact' that they have with their own subconsciousness. As mentioned, certain forms of experience and insight and prohibited to the waking consciousness and its kind of 'present moment'. There is a certain form of 'separation' of experience that operates in the waking consciousness. Experiences are separated from each other in a particular way in this given waking consciousness, experience itself is separated in a certain fashion.

A simple and crude pointer to indicate something of this nature of separation can be given by saying that the waking consciousness can only experience, in a 'real' way, what is 'directly present' for it 'now'. Of course, the given waking consciousness has access to a form of memory and reason which give it access to 'past' and 'future', but these are not experienced in the same way as what is regarded as 'now' for the waking consciousness.

This is 'obvious', such that the waking consciousness experiences 'the flow of time' in terms of the 'passage' of experience/s. This is so obvious that it may not even be considered as a point of inquiry. This 'flow of time' that the waking consciousness experiences is intimately tied to the form of 'separation' that operates in regard to its experience/s. The 'present', or 'now', is separated from the 'past' in a certain way in the experience of the waking consciousness.

This same form of separation does not operate in the subconsciousness. Hence it has a different kind of 'present moment' and also a different kind of experience of 'time' or 'flow of time'. If the seeker ponders on this difference, it may become evident to him why there is a need to establish contact with his subconsciousness. This different kind of 'present moment' or 'now' of the subconsciousness may be seen to have vital importance when it comes to such things as 'self remembering' and 'self observation'. Evidently, these terms will acquire a significantly different reality if they are engaged in, and experienced, from the subconsciousness as the 'center of gravity'. This is in contrast to the seekers given experience of such terms, which proceeds from the waking consciousness as the center of gravity.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:29 pm (...)

You might say it's because of my prejudices (I wouldn't agree) but this exposition is very repetitive. And it contains mistakes:
Of course, the given waking consciousness has access to a form of memory and reason which give it access to 'past' and 'future', but these are not experienced in the same way as what is regarded as 'now' for the waking consciousness.
Regardless, there are two ideas here. "Surface awareness of waking consciousness" and awareness that comes from "access to the subconsciousness" are different (enunciated difference, not delved into) and, the different perception of the flow of time in consciousness vs. subconsciousness (enunciated, not delved into). These two took 12 paragraphs not even to explain, but only to affirm! The guy was not as highly inspired today as he was the other day.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:22 pm

You might say it's because of my prejudices (I wouldn't agree) but this exposition is very repetitive. And it contains mistakes:
Of course, the given waking consciousness has access to a form of memory and reason which give it access to 'past' and 'future', but these are not experienced in the same way as what is regarded as 'now' for the waking consciousness.
Regardless, there are two ideas here. "Surface awareness of waking consciousness" and awareness that comes from "access to the subconsciousness" are different (enunciated difference, not delved into) and, the different perception of the flow of time in consciousness vs. subconsciousness (enunciated, not delved into). These two took 12 paragraphs not even to explain, but only to affirm! The guy was not as highly inspired today as he was the other day.

Actually, I agree with you. When I read it, I was left wanting more elaboration on the points made and less re-hashing of those same one or two points in various formulations. Overall, by itself, it's not very helpful in understanding what we are dealing with, but I felt that there was no harm in sharing it in the context of the previous posts/discussion on this thread. It's also not like we have an overflow of people sharing their 'original' content here, so I drafted this guy and his content into the forum, unbeknownst to him.
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:30 am

Actually, I agree with you. When I read it, I was left wanting more elaboration on the points made and less re-hashing of those same one or two points in various formulations. Overall, by itself, it's not very helpful in understanding what we are dealing with, but I felt that there was no harm in sharing it in the context of the previous posts/discussion on this thread. It's also not like we have an overflow of people sharing their 'original' content here, so I drafted this guy and his content into the forum, unbeknownst to him.

In a sense, we are all sharing our most original content every time we post here. But obviously you are right, and thanks for making the threads interesting, including with posts like this one. I actually suspect the post is written using one of those 'lorem ipsum' type of content creation techniques, or algorithms for how to optimize keywords use, creating blog content that maximizes search engine optimization, or something like that. But even if this is the case, I was still curious to read it, and I would read the next one too, if it comes. So yes - it was still worth the drafting.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:04 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:30 am

In a sense, we are all sharing our most original content every time we post here. But obviously you are right, and thanks for making the threads interesting, including with posts like this one. I actually suspect the post is written using one of those 'lorem ipsum' type of content creation techniques, or algorithms for how to optimize keywords use, creating blog content that maximizes search engine optimization, or something like that. But even if this is the case, I was still curious to read it, and I would read the next one too, if it comes. So yes - it was still worth the drafting.

Here's the next one, which I found a bit more insightful and practical, especially the parts about suffering.

The Will of Man: Suffering, Death, and Re-Birth

All a Man's 'problems' tend to resolve into two basic notions: 'there is something wrong with me' and/or 'there is something wrong with the world'.

The 'wrong' in question could be a whole host of things. The apparent 'wrong' in the Man himself could be to do with physical or mental concerns. The Man may appear to suffer on account of some issue in his mind and/or body. This includes his perception of himself in terms of his apparent possession of 'desirable' or 'undesirable' qualities and attributes. A Man suffers from some perception of 'lack' in himself, such as lack of health, comfort, competence, or goodness etc etc etc.

This same sense of 'lack' can also be applied to the outer world and other people, such that the condition of the world and others appears to be 'wrong' or 'not right' for some reason or other. A Man may then want to either 'conquer' or 'fight' the world and its 'wrongness', or he will want to 'save it' from such 'wrongness' etc.

At the end of the day, the only issue that the Man deals with is one of 'Will'.

All a Man's perceived 'problems' are born from the inability to 'reconcile' his Will with reality, or at least reality as it appears to be. If a Man's Will is in 'accord' with the 'Will of reality', which we might also call 'the Will of God', then there can no longer be any perception of 'a problem' or 'wrongness'- either in himself or in the outer world and others.

Typically, it appears that Man is incapable of this 'reconciliation' of his Will, hence his concerns with various perceived issues and problems in himself or in the world and others. In such a position, it can be hard, or perhaps even impossible, for a Man to conceive what this reconciliation would involve or bring about.

The Man may be so used to his given state of apparent 'lack' and 'discontentment' that he could not conceive of himself being without this companion. Indeed, this 'suffering', coming from his un-reconciled Will, appears to be his very 'core' and the central 'dynamo' to his experience and action.
Without this perception and feeling of 'some opposition', whether in himself or in the world and others, the Man may feel that he would be empty and hollow, as his whole 'identity' and 'self knowledge' appears be based upon this foundation and fulcrum of his un-reconciled Will. Without some 'opposition', in terms of some issue or problem etc, who would the Man be, what would he do?

The Man tends to identify this sense of opposition with his supposed faculty of 'clear reason' and 'sound judgement'. Thus the Man of course tends to believe in his given perception of the problems with himself and/or the world and others. The Man may believe that without this present form of 'critique' he would be lost, becoming some deluded fool incapable of exercising sound judgement and reason etc. The Man appears to trust in this sense of 'problem' and 'opposition' above all else.

If there is one belief that appears to be rock solid for the Man, it is this belief that there is something wrong;- whether in himself or the world and others. This 'inner critique' forms the basis of the Man's identity and his picture of the world and reality. The functioning of this inner critique tends to be dependent upon feeling and emotion as its central drive.

The Man's belief in his inner critique is supported by the emotional force that it wields. Without the reconciliation of his Will with that of reality, the Man always experiences some emotional friction, towards himself or the world and others. Of course, he may subjectively label this emotional friction as some virtuous quality, such as 'compassion' or 'hope for a better world' and so on. In any case, as the Man has not reconciled his Will to reality, he experiences this inner friction in regard to his own feelings and thoughts.

Thoughts about the given 'wrongness' with himself, or with the world and others, perpetuate themselves in his mind. These thoughts give further fuel to the corresponding feelings, and these feelings serve as the primary foundation from which such a form of thought can be supported and engaged. Without his Will reconciled to that of reality, the Man necessarily experiences inner division and friction within himself.

As he is un-reconciled in his Will, he experiences 'opposition' in regard to his own functions of thought, feeling, and sensation. It is this un-reconciled Will that gives birth to the inner critique- in terms of that which provides the sense and perception of 'wrongness' in himself or in others and the outer world. Again, as the Man is so used to this situation, he may feel that without this inner critique he would be unable to act. He may feel that he would become stupid, irrational, uncaring, or some other undesired outcome may be imagined. This is because the Man is so used to operating in accordance to opposition, operating in accordance with the perception of wrongness.

If the Man reconciles his Will with that of reality then there can no longer be the sense and perception of wrongness. This does not mean that the Man loses any of his capacities; whether 'rational' or 'moral', quite the opposite. If the Man reconciles his Will to that of reality then he becomes able to act in accordance with such Will.

Again, it must be said that Man finds it hard and almost impossible to reconcile his Will with that of reality due to his identification with his experience of suffering;- whether his own or that of others. Hence the Man may be concerned with 'moral' questions regarding the presence of suffering in himself or others, he may be concerned with apparent 'inequities' and with righting supposed wrongs etc. All these concerns arise from the limited from of perception and understanding that the Man has and can exercise, and this situation is born from his divided Will.

In religious terms, this reconciliation of Man's Will is spoken of in regard to the unification of the Will of Man and God. '"Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven'" may be seen to refer to this unification and reconciliation. This doesn't refer to some future action in time- the coming of the Kingdom and the doing of God's Will on Earth as in Heaven. This refers to the direct reconciliation and unification of the Will of the Man. Only in this reconciliation and unification can the Will of God be seen to be done Now on Earth as it is in Heaven. To see this the Man has to be it, and to be it he has to do it. To do it does not refer to an outer action, but to the 'act' of Will itself that is involved in this reconciliation and unification.

It is only the Will of the Man himself that can 'choose' as to whether to engage in this 'act' of reconciliation and unification. In religious language, this is usually spoken of in terms of some kind of 'surrender' or 'sacrifice', such that the Will of the Man 'submits' to the Will of God in order to come to be able to 'obey' His Will. The 'surrender', 'sacrifice', and 'submission' all refer to the Man's own Will in terms of dealing with the present form of division that operates therein.

This is the 'sacrifice' of the given form of 'opposition' that the Man experiences through his divided Will. This action is also often associated with suffering, in the sense that it is seen to involve suffering. In reality, this action concerns the 'sacrifice' of all of a Man's suffering as related to the action of his inner critique. The given form and experience of suffering is sacrificed in this reconciliation of the Man's Will.

In order to do this, the Man must 'take on the Sins of the world', which is to say that he must address the totality of the apparent 'causes' of suffering in his experience, he must address the totality of the inner critique and its action. This action of sacrifice is also often related to a 'death' and 're-birth'. The given sense of identity and its picture of the world dies;- as it is only the product of the divided Will. This then enables the 're-birth' in terms of the arising of a whole and singular Will that may operate in accordance with the Will of God.

It appears that some significant stimulus is required in order to enable a Man to come to this point of 'self sacrifice' in regard to his present inner critique. This may come through the given experience of suffering, which may lead a Man to the 'desperation' that facilitates this sacrifice of his suffering. This sacrifice may also come through some perception of the reality of 'God's Will'- or some equivalent perception- which may serve to give the 'belief' or 'courage' that is needed in order to engage in this sacrificial act.

It has long been noted that is it usually only 'desperation or inspiration' that has the 'potency' that is needed in order to facilitate a Man's potential for total action;- action at the level of his totality as related to his Will and its unification.

Gurdjieff summed up this situation by saying that a Man will sacrifice anything but his suffering;- which is his most prized possession and addiction, as it is the central foundation to his given sense, and valuation, of his 'I'. Of course, it seems insane to suggest that a Man would not want to renounce his suffering, but this is only to the view that doesn't see what value a Man puts on his suffering, what he gets out of his suffering, what uses he puts it to etc.

Man in general is unable to renounce his suffering as it has become more automatic and necessary to him than his breathing. Evidently, suffering appears to come in many forms, but essentially the are all based on this primary inner division of a Man's Will, which prohibits the mentioned reconciliation and unification. As the Man is divided within himself, his suffering serves as a substitute for a united Will. Suffering appears more desirable to a Man than the imagined 'void' or 'identity-death' that would result if he were to renounce and sacrifice his given suffering.
The real sacrifice of suffering doesn't consist in merely 'suffering on purpose' or 'suffering intentionally for a purpose'. To really sacrifice one's suffering, one must get to the root of it and address it at this level. 'Intentional suffering' may potentially serve as something of a crutch towards getting a grasp of the essential root of suffering, but in itself, it is only a further action of a Will divided within itself, a Will still subject to apparent 'opposition' and 'partiality' etc.

Suffering has to be understood in its essential nature, and this has to be seen in its relation to the given divided Will. If the nature of suffering and the divided Will is really seen in oneself, then this can give the means and impetus for the reconciliation and unification of the Will in terms of the mentioned 'death and re-birth'.
Federica

Post by Federica »

mikekatz wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:09 pm First off, lol, would you set Steiner aside for the undoubtedly racist comments he made?
In the lectures, published as a book with the English title The Mission of Individual Souls, he writes ”The Black or Negro race is substantially determined by these childhood characteristics. If we now cross over to Asia, we find a point or center where the formative forces of the Earth impress permanently on man the particular characteristics of later youth or adolescence and determine his racial character... If we continue northward and then turn in a westernly direction towards Europe, a third point or center is reached which permanently impresses upon man the characteristics of his adult life.”
Mike,
I am reading Knowledge of the higher worlds, and I want to report another excerpt that could hardly be more clarifying of Steiner's attitude to race:

Steiner wrote:Other qualities which, like anger and vexation, have to be combated, are timidity, superstition, prejudice, vanity and ambition, curiosity, the mania for imparting information, and the tendency to make distinctions in human beings according to the outward characteristics of rank, sex, race, and so forth. In our time it is difficult for people to understand how the combating of such qualities can have anything to do with the heightening of the faculty of cognition. But every spiritual scientist knows that much more depends upon such matters than upon the increase of intelligence and employment of artificial exercises.

As I know you know, becoming aware of unequivocable advice like this should prompt us to humbly reconsider, firstly by unbiased inquiry and sincere attempt to understand, any reported statements and vague judgments we might have adopted and entertained, being ready to admit their possible quality of prejudice, and to let them go. I am certainly due to apply the same consideration and suspension of judgment to everything, for that matter, including Gurdjieff, for example.

The excerpt continues:
Steiner wrote:Especially can misunderstanding arise if we believe that we must become foolhardy in order to be fearless; that we must close our eyes to the differences between human beings, because we must combat the prejudices of rank, race, and so forth. Rather is it true that a correct estimate of all things is to be attained only when we are no longer entangled in prejudice. Even in the ordinary sense it is true that the fear of some phenomenon prevents us from estimating it rightly; that a racial prejudice prevents us from seeing into a man's soul. It is this ordinary sense that the student must develop in all its delicacy and subtlety.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:51 am
Mike,
I am reading Knowledge of the higher worlds, and I want to report another excerpt that could hardly be more clarifying of Steiner's attitude to race:

Steiner wrote:Other qualities which, like anger and vexation, have to be combated, are timidity, superstition, prejudice, vanity and ambition, curiosity, the mania for imparting information, and the tendency to make distinctions in human beings according to the outward characteristics of rank, sex, race, and so forth. In our time it is difficult for people to understand how the combating of such qualities can have anything to do with the heightening of the faculty of cognition. But every spiritual scientist knows that much more depends upon such matters than upon the increase of intelligence and employment of artificial exercises.

As I know you know, becoming aware of unequivocable advice like this should prompt us to humbly reconsider, firstly by unbiased inquiry and sincere attempt to understand, any reported statements and vague judgments we might have adopted and entertained, being ready to admit their possible quality of prejudice, and to let them go. I am certainly due to apply the same consideration and suspension of judgment to everything, for that matter, including Gurdjieff, for example.

The excerpt continues:
Steiner wrote:Especially can misunderstanding arise if we believe that we must become foolhardy in order to be fearless; that we must close our eyes to the differences between human beings, because we must combat the prejudices of rank, race, and so forth. Rather is it true that a correct estimate of all things is to be attained only when we are no longer entangled in prejudice. Even in the ordinary sense it is true that the fear of some phenomenon prevents us from estimating it rightly; that a racial prejudice prevents us from seeing into a man's soul. It is this ordinary sense that the student must develop in all its delicacy and subtlety.

These are very pressing issues for people to confront today. Especially the conflation of willfully suppressing thoughtful, dispassionate, penetrating inquiries into psycho-physical differentiations, for some sort of 'anti-racist' or similar virtue. It would be quite absurd to suggest we should avoid such inquiries in the realm of nature's differentiations, but when it comes to the human individual and culture, it becomes a sign of a 'progressive' attitude, when in fact nothing could be more retrogressive. This is, of course, rooted in the modern tendency to isolate the thinking individual and its cultural institutions from the evolving World Process. That, in turn, is rooted in a latent egoism which gives rise to antipathies, fears, anxieties, etc. concerning the depths of the human soul and what archetypal shadowy tendencies it harbors. It is the "I"-being's subordination to the impulses, passions, and thoughts of the lower desire body. This isn't virtue but a veiled, intellectualized animalism - one which fails to differentiate the psycho-physical organization from the eternal soul-spirit, of which the former is merely the instrument. This idolatrous tendency then gets projected into 'reality itself' and serves as the basis for outrage when precise inquiries are made into the differentiated streams of psycho-physical development, since the latter is practically equated with the sum total of what it means to be a human being. As usual, this inverting tendency is exactly what will prevent humanity from lucidly and productively addressing the inequalities and injustices which it only dreams of being concerned about.