Gabor Maté on Jordan Peterson

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Brad Walker

Re: Gabor Maté on Jordan Peterson

Post by Brad Walker »

Soul_of_Shu, I'm in favor of publishing linkable longer works and conversing with short fragments. Much of longer posts are performance or talking past one another.

164 characters
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Brad Walker wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:16 am Much of longer posts are performance or talking past one another.
Yeah well, in this case the performance has nothing to do with the length of your posts.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Brad Walker

Post by Brad Walker »

I've realized it's more efficient to report character counts only when they exceed 280.
Brad Walker

Post by Brad Walker »

By performance, I mean performing for oneself as much as for others.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Brad Walker wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:00 am By performance, I mean performing for oneself as much as for others.
No worries, I'll still read your posts.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:34 pm
Eugene I wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:54 pm I would agree with Gabor. What strikes me about Peterson is not what he is saying, but how he is saying it, his psychological and spiritual/energetic state. He speaks about meaning, faith, love and peace, but the spiritual "wavelength" of this message is so toxic, it's full of rage and anger and that is why I just cannot listen to him. But that's only my personal opinion
Well, this sentiment baffles my mind. It cannot be reasonably inferred from any of his full-length lectures or interviews. Even when he started to 'fly off the handle' a bit in those, he quickly regained composure. And that seems to be the consensus by everyone who speaks with him, such as Dr. Gad Saad (who, for my money, is a much more insightful psychologist than Dr. Mate, but that's a separate issue).
"Repressed anger", storing and channeling energy of cold rage (instead of constantly blowing your fuse in 'outrage culture', which is very toxic especially as mass culture) is very deep and interesting dynamic, deep source of creativity. So I don't take Mate's view on JP as negative and hostile, on the contrary this brings to mind this version of the story of two wolves:

JP has been on a fascinating spiritual journey, with wonderful ability to share some fruits of his journey with millions of people in a positive way.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Santeri ... Interesting kind of Jungian take, in that the shadow-side can't be starved, or just ignored out of existence. One may try, but it will be at one's peril, as its expression will not remain repressed, or denied, or masked by medications, and if not encountered and come to terms with, and integrated in a positive way, but left unattended and locked away in the subconscious, then it will uncontrollably lash out in rage, or depression, or angst, whenever finding a chance to break out, as it always eventually will, as either psychosis or corporeal dis-ease.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:02 pm "Repressed anger", storing and channeling energy of cold rage (instead of constantly blowing your fuse in 'outrage culture', which is very toxic especially as mass culture) is very deep and interesting dynamic, deep source of creativity. So I don't take Mate's view on JP as negative and hostile, on the contrary this brings to mind this version of the story of two wolves:
There are still other not so damaging ways (in addition to repressing or "blowing your fuse in 'outrage culture'"), such as is facing, embracing and healing the shadow by finding other ways to release their energies without damaging actions or "blowing our fuses". For example, non-dual practices of releasing and getting insights into the depths of our shadows while maintaining the state of lucid awareness, or letting them to express themselves in art or creativity, or there may be other ways.
Last edited by Eugene I on Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:02 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:34 pm
Eugene I wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:54 pm I would agree with Gabor. What strikes me about Peterson is not what he is saying, but how he is saying it, his psychological and spiritual/energetic state. He speaks about meaning, faith, love and peace, but the spiritual "wavelength" of this message is so toxic, it's full of rage and anger and that is why I just cannot listen to him. But that's only my personal opinion
Well, this sentiment baffles my mind. It cannot be reasonably inferred from any of his full-length lectures or interviews. Even when he started to 'fly off the handle' a bit in those, he quickly regained composure. And that seems to be the consensus by everyone who speaks with him, such as Dr. Gad Saad (who, for my money, is a much more insightful psychologist than Dr. Mate, but that's a separate issue).
"Repressed anger", storing and channeling energy of cold rage (instead of constantly blowing your fuse in 'outrage culture', which is very toxic especially as mass culture) is very deep and interesting dynamic, deep source of creativity. So I don't take Mate's view on JP as negative and hostile, on the contrary this brings to mind this version of the story of two wolves:
Mate clearly meant it as a criticism, even if you don't. Psychological "repression" is not a positive quality, and neither are double-standards, which is what Mate accuses JP of when it comes to ideology. But JP's latest interview with Pageau makes clear both of those criticisms are way off base - he is literally shedding tears while articulating his philosophical concerns, specifically with dogmatic Christianity, and doing a damn good impression of Jesus on the Cross asking, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?".

I really don't get the need for anyone to pretend otherwise, unless it is related to religion or politics.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Grief will make you stronger ...