This forum

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Federica

Re: This forum

Post by Federica »

Cleric K wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:49 pm That's great, Federica! It's interesting to note that the elements for the ancients were something much more in line of what you describe. From esoteric perspective, although we see fluids with our eyes, the average person of today doesn't really enter into what the ancients called 'water'. With the advent of materialism, we're passing through a period where we really live only in the mineral element, which is really the form of our cognition (a symptom of which is the purely abstract thinking - arrangements of mineral shards).

What you are doing is redeeming back the living experience of the elements. Maybe it is not in the focus of your exercises in exactly this moment but what you're really developing through them is to liberate your spiritual activity from the rigid forms and learn to will its movements in a continuous fluid way. So it's not that much what we imagine but the spiritual gestures that we perform to make that happen. The reason this is important is because gradually these kinds of spiritual gestures become at the same time means of perception. How come? For example, unless we develop the ability to read, letters would be simply visual shapes for us. When we work with letter patterns we learn to experience concepts in them. Our world is full of spiritual gestures which simply pass unregistered through us. When we gain some experience with moving our imagination in this fluid ways, we'll soon begin to notice that we spontaneously encounter similar motions - initially, primarily in our own body. This is really the germinal beginnings of the experience of the etheric body. So you see, seeing these higher members is not a question of simply superimposing additional visual layer on top of our regular sight. The etheric body is weaved not of sensory perception but of living processes and we can become conscious of them only when our spirit learns to move like them. Then through a kind of resonance we can flow with these processes.

Thank you for the help, Cleric! Within the recently evoked bike metaphor, this is like a gentle push in the back so one can gain some speed while still new at biking : ) I didn’t have any particular focus with this try, it was a simple wish of exploring the landscape in a way that doesn’t only add more data points of the same old flat type. I see how this could emancipate the gestures out of triangular and rectangular shapes, so that more can get impressed in the new slots, or even in a newly acquired continuous receptivity, after slots have been smoothed out.

Cleric K wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:49 pm You may find it interesting to make a similar exercise by flowing with your oxygenated blood from the heart towards the periphery and then back. It is especially powerful if you can spread your imagination in all directions and keep simultaneous focus, instead of following a single artery, which is easier.

Similar very effective exercise is following the sap of a plant up and down.

You might be overestimating my ability to easily move around with these exercises. For now, it’s mainly a clumsy attempt, where water nature in particular comes to help, because of the sympathy I feel for the element. But it’s not that I can flow ‘as water’ without interruptions, and if I am not careful I would quickly find myself paddling in a kayak, rather than being water, just to give you an idea : ) It came to mind that maybe a denser fluid, one that would be closer to solid, mineral nature would be an easier start with the exercise, and so I tried the same thing with lava. I had in mind those impressive, hypnotic views from last year, where some spectacular eruptions happened around the world, especially that one where strips of lava slowly reached the sea shore, falling off the cliffs and clashing with water in the sea. One would almost wish, inexplicably and shamefully, that the stream of lava would make it to the edge of the cliff, instead of cooling off and stopping a few meters away from the edge... But that was not a success, I found it agitating and quickly got back to water. I will try the ones you suggest! Thank you!

Cleric K wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:49 pm One important note: we should be fully conscious that we're moving our imagination. By no means we should succumb to phantasm and believe that in this way we're having objective perceptions of the etheric realm. We should be completely clear that we're only training our spiritual activity in this way. Learning to resonate with actual processes requires additional work and as strange as it may sound, this work is primarily in the moral sphere. I'll not go into details but it's useful to reflect on the question why we would like to perceive these processes? To satisfy our curiosity? Or to put that knowledge in use for the whole? It may be helpful to think that anything we perceive from the invisible is like a kind of credit that the higher worlds lend us and it is of great import what we do with it.

Why do I want to perceive them? I have to answer, for both the given motives. In a spirit of exploration (that of a 19th century explorer, so to speak) it is true that there’s a curiosity to satisfy (I could also say a thirst for knowledge) and there is the resolution to do the right thing with that knowledge, somewhat like voting, making a small personal contribution in the right direction for the common good. However, I also have a strong sense of not wanting to get anywhere ahead of time, or before I’m ready. Your recent words about approaching meditation with an attitude comparable to the fear of getting hit from above by falling objects, describes well that sense. But when you say that, gradually, the kinds of spiritual gestures one comes to train this way become at the same time means of perception, firstly applicable to our own body, I understand you suggest that these exercises alone actually can lead, after a while, to objective perceptions of the etheric realm, even before the additional moral work is done.

Cleric K wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:49 pm I hope this gives you a hint about what the nature of perceiving the higher members of the human being is. It all boils down to the fact that everything in the dreamscape is moved by some form of spiritual activity. In our materialistic-scientific consciousness we alias everything into mineral shards, we collapse the wavefunction, we might say. But the life and soul processes are not some mechanical collisions of billiard balls (the way we think of the atomic realm). There's actual spiritual will behind everything, which is of thought nature and is responsible for the dynamics of the World Content. To perceive this spiritual activity we need to learn to replicate it through our own forces, we need to integrate that activity into our whole being. This is a very gradual process.

Yes it does! It lets me move from the dry and clean idea that everything around us is moved by spiritual activity to the tridimensional navigation of some pieces of that ‘everything’. The feeling I would like to share here is that executing on this ‘impulse’ seems very accessible. The obstacle is probably having that impulse within oneself, rather than executing on it and starting the navigation.

Cleric K wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:49 pm It's also not that important at our stage that we develop it to the stage where we really begin to perceive the processes and beings. It's much more important to at least understand these things and at least set them as our ideal, as our direction. If we develop understanding now, then in the next incarnation this understanding will metamorphose into perceptions.

This is a bit tough to take in, but I surely understand that it feels tough only for the one who has not yet become acquainted with continually sacrificing the dream character, and continually die for the lower self while still on Earth.
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Martin_ wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:18 am This forum used to be about many things. It is now only about one thing.
One thing which has been repeated ad nauseum. Cleric outlined the central thesis of Structured Idealism very coherently and clearly a long time ago. For some reason we haven't - from a scientific perspective - been able to move further than that. (Granted, the last months, I've merely been skimming the posts. Maybe there's a nugget or two in there that i've missed).

Add to that the "I get it. No you don't!" dynamic, and the fact that any attempt to bring something new to the table, runs a high risk of being accused of dualism. (Which, apparently , has ben proven to be the biggest Sin of All in this forum).

This is my perspective. As an example I've been thinking about posting about the merits of Pirsigs MOQ for a while, but can't be bothered because it feels like it would be pointless to do so.
Martin, I would be very interested in your thoughts about the merits of Pirsigs MOQ. As for the risk of being accused by Steinerians, there is an easy solution to that, which called the "ignore list" ;)
"You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the ocean in a drop" Rumi
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I think there is a lesson to learn from the fact that most people left the forum. We are all travelling along different paths adhering to different paradigms, approaches and views of the landscape of reality, and our descriptions of the landscape are often so different that we often just talk over each other heads when discussing them. Hopefully at some point, be it in our human life or beyond, these paths will start to converge, but until that happens, the only thing we can do to facilitate such convergence is to share our views, ideas and experiences so that people may want to try seeing the reality from different perspectives and explore different approaches. This is often useful and opens to us broader views of the landscapes and to other paths leading to further levels of integration. But it also often happens that we get into confrontational mode rejecting the alternative perspectives and banging each other heads with our own Bibles that we adhere to. But this is rather counterproductive and usually does more harm than good, because people usually go into a defense mode or just leave. Simply speaking, we can't convert other people to our faith by force and confrontation. I think if this happens, it is more useful to analyze our own motivations that force us to be confrontational, which usually points to some kind of unconscious sense of lack or fear or Horney’s neurosis and reveals the spiritual and therapeutical work that we need to do on ourselves (speaking about myself here).
"You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the ocean in a drop" Rumi
Federica

Post by Federica »

Stranger wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:42 pm I think there is a lesson to learn from the fact that most people left the forum. We are all travelling along different paths adhering to different paradigms, approaches and views of the landscape of reality, and our descriptions of the landscape are often so different that we often just talk over each other heads when discussing them. Hopefully at some point, be it in our human life or beyond, these paths will start to converge, but until that happens, the only thing we can do to facilitate such convergence is to share our views, ideas and experiences so that people may want to try seeing the reality from different perspectives and explore different approaches. This is often useful and opens to us broader views of the landscapes and to other paths leading to further levels of integration. But it also often happens that we get into confrontational mode rejecting the alternative perspectives and banging each other heads with our own Bibles that we adhere to. But this is rather counterproductive and usually does more harm than good, because people usually go into a defense mode or just leave. Simply speaking, we can't convert other people to our faith by force and confrontation. I think if this happens, it is more useful to analyze our own motivations that force us to be confrontational, which usually points to some kind of unconscious sense of lack or fear or Horney’s neurosis and reveals the spiritual and therapeutical work that we need to do on ourselves (speaking about myself here).

From my perspective the motives that made some leave, and some follow without posting directly, are very individual, and I doubt there is a general lesson to learn from the various occurrences. Besides, nobody is ideologically controlling the forum’s entrance, anyone could start a new thread on analytic idealism, for instance, without ever engaging in the general discussions. Yet it rarely happens.
Of course you can't convert other people to your faith by force and confrontation. At the same time I have not seen this happening here. Spiritual science - if this is the point of contention - is not a faith, it doesn’t call for indoctrination. Like any other view or discipline, it does require a disposition to make some preliminary efforts (some would insist to call it faith) in the perspective of later gaining holistic overview and an ability to articulate movements / language. Such disposition is called forth not by faith, but by logical reasoning and observation, becoming the enabler of those efforts.

That being said, I think anything else is personality, both at the sender’s and the receiver’s end of the ‘forcefully confrontational’ posts. Sometimes, as an external observer, I have been shocked by both the rudeness of certain posts and the astonishing openness of the response. Clearly, those involved were not sharing any of my impressions. In the same way, the fact that you judge some posts confrontational doesn’t indicate that anyone would agree on their confrontational character. By the way, this itself can be an indicator of unconscious preferences or fears, both on your side, where a post sounds confrontational and on mine, where the same post doesn’t, let’s say.

In short, the two assumptions I don't agree with are:

- The one reason people have left is they felt communication was confrontational (in some cases yes, certainly not in all)
- There are forceful, confrontational conversion attempts going on here
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer »

This is basically an intro post, as there doesn't seem to be a thread for self-intros. I briefly visited the original forum several times over the years and also participated in discussions of Kastrup at thephilosophyforum.com (under the same username) where I'm no longer active. I've recently finished Decoding Schopenhaur and started on More than Allegory. I've also read most of the thesis on the main website and taken in a few videos (currently the discussion with Vervaeke.) I myself am an independent reader of philosophy and lifelong adherent of philosophical idealism albeit with no publications or academic standing. I'm at retirement age but still reading and trying to focus on deepening my understanding of philosophical idealism generally, of whom I regard Kastrup as a contemporary exemplar. My nascent Medium page is at https://medium.com/@jonathan.shearman
Federica

Post by Federica »

Wayfarer wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:02 am This is basically an intro post, as there doesn't seem to be a thread for self-intros. I briefly visited the original forum several times over the years and also participated in discussions of Kastrup at thephilosophyforum.com (under the same username) where I'm no longer active. I've recently finished Decoding Schopenhaur and started on More than Allegory. I've also read most of the thesis on the main website and taken in a few videos (currently the discussion with Vervaeke.) I myself am an independent reader of philosophy and lifelong adherent of philosophical idealism albeit with no publications or academic standing. I'm at retirement age but still reading and trying to focus on deepening my understanding of philosophical idealism generally, of whom I regard Kastrup as a contemporary exemplar. My nascent Medium page is at https://medium.com/@jonathan.shearman
Hello Wayfarer,

Thanks for sharing a little of your background, welcome!
I am wondering if you have browsed some of the ongoing threads on the forum, and what your first impression is?
There is actually not much ongoing discussion on BK's philosophy anymore, as you might have noticed, although I am sure some would be happy to engage in such discussions.
Personally I arrived to this forum as a follower of BK, with some doubts about his philosophy (as a beginner, lacking any academic or even self-taught philosophical background, apart from some basics learned in undergraduate school).
One of the questions I had (here below) still hasn't received any satisfactory reply on the side of analytic idealism, as far as I can understand, which is why today I am exploring the meaning of life, the nature of reality - or however else we want to put it - in different, more consistent directions on this forum, with other members as well.
For the records, BK has addressed the questions coming from this forum since, including mine. It's in one of the AMA Youtube sessions, but I couldn't find his answers resolving or clarifying in any way.
I am curious: what drew you to BK's philosophy and to idealism in the first place?

Federica wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:43 pm (...)
Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer »

Federica wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:04 am I am wondering if you have browsed some of the ongoing threads on the forum, and what your first impression is?
There is actually not much ongoing discussion on BK's philosophy anymore, as you might have noticed, although I am sure some would be happy to engage in such discussions.
Personally I arrived to this forum as a follower of BK, with some doubts about his philosophy (as a beginner, lacking any academic or even self-taught philosophical background, apart from some basics learned in undergraduate school).
One of the questions I had (here below) still hasn't received any satisfactory reply on the side of analytic idealism, as far as I can understand, which is why today I am exploring the meaning of life, the nature of reality - or however else we want to put it - in different, more consistent directions on this forum, with other members as well.
For the records, BK has addressed the questions coming from this forum since, including mine. It's in one of the AMA Youtube sessions, but I couldn't find his answers resolving or clarifying in any way.
I am curious: what drew you to BK's philosophy and to idealism in the first place?
I had started reading this thread although haven't finished yet, but so far so good.

I noticed Bernardo's work a long while ago, but can't remember exactly when. But then, I went to the very first Science and Nonduality conference in 2009 so I've been into these kinds of materials a long while. (I've probably spent far too long reading online articles and debating philosophy :( ) Bernardo's work came up on thephilosophyforum.com about five years ago, although the reaction there was pretty dismissive. But then, most folks are presumptively materialist, even if they don't know it, whereas I was always one of the representative idealists on that forum.

What is attracting me to Bernardo's work is the precision and breadth of scope. It is elaborated against a lot of sources and in relation to many themes. There are some elements I don't quite agree with but even that is instructive. And, who else is doing this? BK now has a pretty impressive number of books and online articles, it's becoming a really substantial and comprehensive body of work. It's no longer really feasible just to hand-wave it all away as the musings of some eccentric (which a lot of people would dearly love to do). In other words, it is becoming mainstream, as it should!

What drew me to idealism in the first place was, I'm pretty sure, a past-life memory - not that I have any detailed recollection of time or place, only that I've had some instinctive understanding of it all my life. (Platonists and Buddhists are both allowed to believe that, Christians not so much. ;-) )
Federica

Post by Federica »

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:09 pm I had started reading this thread although haven't finished yet, but so far so good.

Glad you found the TCT, what a perfect first reading on the forum!
Another essay I'm sure you'll find interesting which is directly relatable to BK's theory is this one.

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:09 pm I noticed Bernardo's work a long while ago, but can't remember exactly when. But then, I went to the very first Science and Nonduality conference in 2009 so I've been into these kinds of materials a long while. (I've probably spent far too long reading online articles and debating philosophy :( ) Bernardo's work came up on thephilosophyforum.com about five years ago, although the reaction there was pretty dismissive. But then, most folks are presumptively materialist, even if they don't know it, whereas I was always one of the representative idealists on that forum.

Yes, unassumed materialism and/or de facto dualism are interesting stances...

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:09 pm What is attracting me to Bernardo's work is the precision and breadth of scope. It is elaborated against a lot of sources and in relation to many themes. There are some elements I don't quite agree with but even that is instructive. And, who else is doing this? BK now has a pretty impressive number of books and online articles, it's becoming a really substantial and comprehensive body of work. It's no longer really feasible just to hand-wave it all away as the musings of some eccentric (which a lot of people would dearly love to do). In other words, it is becoming mainstream, as it should!

I agree that this character of unrelenting, super hard-working, paradigm-breaking academic with diverse background is admirable, but are you more interested in the figure, and his academic affirmation from odd outsider to mainstream, than you are in his philosophy?

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:09 pm What drew me to idealism in the first place was, I'm pretty sure, a past-life memory - not that I have any detailed recollection of time or place, only that I've had some instinctive understanding of it all my life. (Platonists and Buddhists are both allowed to believe that, Christians not so much. ;-) )

I know very little about Christianity, unfortunately, but I suspect your last statement would be challenged here :)
Güney27

Post by Güney27 »

Wayfarer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:09 pm
Federica wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:04 am I am wondering if you have browsed some of the ongoing threads on the forum, and what your first impression is?
I had started reading this thread although haven't finished yet, but so far so good.

I noticed Bernardo's work a long while ago, but can't remember exactly when. But then, I went to the very first Science and Nonduality conference in 2009 so I've been into these kinds of materials a long while. (I've probably spent far too long reading online articles and debating philosophy :( ) Bernardo's work came up on thephilosophyforum.com about five years ago, although the reaction there was pretty dismissive. But then, most folks are presumptively materialist, even if they don't know it, whereas I was always one of the representative idealists on that forum.

What is attracting me to Bernardo's work is the precision and breadth of scope. It is elaborated against a lot of sources and in relation to many themes. There are some elements I don't quite agree with but even that is instructive. And, who else is doing this? BK now has a pretty impressive number of books and online articles, it's becoming a really substantial and comprehensive body of work. It's no longer really feasible just to hand-wave it all away as the musings of some eccentric (which a lot of people would dearly love to do). In other words, it is becoming mainstream, as it should!

What drew me to idealism in the first place was, I'm pretty sure, a past-life memory - not that I have any detailed recollection of time or place, only that I've had some instinctive understanding of it all my life. (Platonists and Buddhists are both allowed to believe that, Christians not so much. ;-) )

hey wayfarers,

I don't really know anything about Christianity either.
But Steiner's christology is an esoteric form of the religion.
Religious scriptures are all to be interpreted, given coded truths which the initiated can decipher.
Rudolf Steiner left us the occult science with which we can intelligently interpret religious texts in their esoteric context.

Kind regards
~Only true love can heal broken hearts~
Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer »

Federica wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:49 pm I agree that this character of unrelenting, super hard-working, paradigm-breaking academic with diverse background is admirable, but are you more interested in the figure, and his academic affirmation from odd outsider to mainstream, than you are in his philosophy?
No, I'm interested in the substance of his work, but the big increase in published works over the last 5-6 years is important. I notice more references to Kastrup in various essays and debates, which signifies at least consideration of analytical idealism. In my view, idealism is the mainstream of the Western philosophical tradition, it's last significant figure being Schopenhauer - so in some ways BK is bringing that back into view. It is very different from the sterile and often meaningless academic jargonese which nowadays is called philosophy.
Güney27 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:02 pm
Religious scriptures are all to be interpreted, given coded truths which the initiated can decipher.
The early Church Fathers said that in about 150 AD! It's since been well and truly forgotten.