Conformal Cyclic Meditation

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Federica

Re: Conformal Cyclic Meditation

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:21 am (...)
Cleric K wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:08 pm (...)
Thank you, Ashvin, Cleric, for your latest explanations. I have been pondering them for a few days now. They are both of great help, and I feel I still haven’t fully extracted everything that is there to realize.

I believe I’ve been lacking a holistic view of things recently, remaining bound to a compartmentalized approach. In some cases/times the approach incorporates mutual causality between levels, in other cases it doesn't, because the intuition of continuous interaction between perceptual and spiritual worlds stops flowing for me when it bumps into some ingrained thinking habits. I thought I would pinpoint how I think the discontinuity happens, in case it speaks to someone else.

For example, when referring to the ‘perceptual world’, I often lapse into thinking of sensory perception only. Yet, I know clearly that there is much more to perception than the impressions our senses can impress/express.
Another example: I know that all spectrums of reality emerge as complex interactions between various hierarchies of beings driven by diverse intentions. Yet, because this is an abstract knowledge - it makes sense, but I don’t have any clear and direct awareness of these beings - I often lapse into thinking of the archetypal and elemental rhythms simplistically, as a sort of BK-style M@L, I am afraid. It’s not that I actively think of it as such, but the presence of the idea standing in the background of whatever else I am reasoning out, can be of the sort of impersonal, blind M@L.
Similarly, in the first example, when I directly address the question of perceiving and conceiving, no problem: I have a grasp of how thinking merges the two. Yet, when the perceptual world is seen ‘out of the corner of the eye’, as background for some other reasoning, it surreptitiously morphs back to standard mode, which in this case is perception=senses. It’s an imperfect plasticity of thought. As soon as it can, it will default back to the previously ingrained modes.

So there are shortcuts that have not been erased. As in the common experience of driving to a known place in complete ‘unconsciousness’, absorbed in thoughts that have nothing to do with the driving directions, I might embark on these familiar thinking tracks sometimes, without realizing it. Then I might reemerge above the surface of unconsciousness, somewhere down the road, maybe prompted by a comment. As a consequence, I would typically try to sew together elements of the old and new thinking paths, to bridge the discontinuity with a half logic, half stubborn sewing thread. Obviously the result cannot be smooth and flawless.

The lesson I’m learning from that experience is that just because something has been understood, grasped, or intuited once, including in a living way, it doesn't mean it's now acquired knowledge, reliably available to be leveraged for further progression. It's rather like a daily live performance we need to make happen, when we have to wholeheartedly invest ourselves and play out the whole piece every single time (living thinking). It's not possible to record it bit by bit and then patch together the best snips in post-production (dead intellectual thinking). Therefore, a number of rehearsals might be needed.

I should add that the Demiurge thread and its thinking rehearsals are instructive for me in this instance, as I think Eugene and I share some of the mind traps.
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:10 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:21 am (...)
Cleric K wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:08 pm (...)
Thank you, Ashvin, Cleric, for your latest explanations. I have been pondering them for a few days now. They are both of great help, and I feel I still haven’t fully extracted everything that is there to realize.

I believe I’ve been lacking a holistic view of things recently, remaining bound to a compartmentalized approach. In some cases/times the approach incorporates mutual causality between levels, in other cases it doesn't, because the intuition of continuous interaction between perceptual and spiritual worlds stops flowing for me when it bumps into some ingrained thinking habits. I thought I would pinpoint how I think the discontinuity happens, in case it speaks to someone else.

For example, when referring to the ‘perceptual world’, I often lapse into thinking of sensory perception only. Yet, I know clearly that there is much more to perception than the impressions our senses can impress/express.
Another example: I know that all spectrums of reality emerge as complex interactions between various hierarchies of beings driven by diverse intentions. Yet, because this is an abstract knowledge - it makes sense, but I don’t have any clear and direct awareness of these beings - I often lapse into thinking of the archetypal and elemental rhythms simplistically, as a sort of BK-style M@L, I am afraid. It’s not that I actively think of it as such, but the presence of the idea standing in the background of whatever else I am reasoning out, can be of the sort of impersonal, blind M@L.
Similarly, in the first example, when I directly address the question of perceiving and conceiving, no problem: I have a grasp of how thinking merges the two. Yet, when the perceptual world is seen ‘out of the corner of the eye’, as background for some other reasoning, it surreptitiously morphs back to standard mode, which in this case is perception=senses. It’s an imperfect plasticity of thought. As soon as it can, it will default back to the previously ingrained modes.

So there are shortcuts that have not been erased. As in the common experience of driving to a known place in complete ‘unconsciousness’, absorbed in thoughts that have nothing to do with the driving directions, I might embark on these familiar thinking tracks sometimes, without realizing it. Then I might reemerge above the surface of unconsciousness, somewhere down the road, maybe prompted by a comment. As a consequence, I would typically try to sew together elements of the old and new thinking paths, to bridge the discontinuity with a half logic, half stubborn sewing thread. Obviously the result cannot be smooth and flawless.

The lesson I’m learning from that experience is that just because something has been understood, grasped, or intuited once, including in a living way, it doesn't mean it's now acquired knowledge, reliably available to be leveraged for further progression. It's rather like a daily live performance we need to make happen, when we have to wholeheartedly invest ourselves and play out the whole piece every single time (living thinking). It's not possible to record it bit by bit and then patch together the best snips in post-production (dead intellectual thinking). Therefore, a number of rehearsals might be needed.

I should add that the Demiurge thread and its thinking rehearsals are instructive for me in this instance, as I think Eugene and I share some of the mind traps.

Federica,

It is my view that you are doing yourself a huge favor by expressing your ideas on these issues courageously and with good will to learn from the dialogue. You are clearly sacrificing a certain amount of ego and pleasure/comfort by opening yourself up to the constructive criticism and the uncomfortable feedback, not to mention the unfamiliar ideas. Unfortunately, as we see on the Demiurge thread, once we get somewhat deep into a spiritual path, perhaps even through years of meditation, if we haven't confronted the lower self squarely with courage and a redemptive disposition, we fall prey to the most egoic temptations. We could easily use our spiritual knowledge to avoid responsibility and sacrificial effort at all costs. These things are much better dealt with early on.

We can already sense how we only exist and experience by virtue of all these nested domains of activity - in the words of secular culture, we may say that we are 'products of our evolutionary past' and we are goal-directed beings, always striving towards our 'future potential'. That we are 'made of stardust', subject to the 'laws of nature', evolved from the kingdoms of nature, part of a symbiotic living ecosystem, woven into a 'collective intelligence' through modern civilization, and so forth.

As an example of the above, I just came across a documentary on Netflix which is remarkable and inspiring (if we can tune out the occassional materialistic commentary). I have only watched the first episode. If you have a subscription, I would highly recommend it. Most of us cannot help but intuit the Cosmic and Earthly creation is 'very good' when presented with such archetypal narratives, and the source of our suffering resides in our own minds and hearts. A person lost in the conspiratorial machinations of the sensuous and abstract intellect, however, will probably discard that intuition and project the cause for all their troubles onto 'materialism', 'religion', 'Western civilization', 'Satan', 'Demiurge' and so on.

"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:34 am I just came across a documentary on Netflix which is remarkable and inspiring (if we can tune out the occassional materialistic commentary). I have only watched the first episode. If you have a subscription, I would highly recommend it. Most of us cannot help but intuit the Cosmic and Earthly creation is 'very good' when presented with such archetypal narratives, and the source of our suffering resides in our own minds and hearts. A person lost in the conspiratorial machinations of the sensuous and abstract intellect, however, will probably discard that intuition and project the cause for all their troubles onto 'materialism', 'religion', 'Western civilization', 'Satan', 'Demiurge' and so on.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ashvin!
Hopefully it can inspire others, but personally I don't have a Netflix subscription, it wouldn't make any sense in my case :)
To give you an idea how often I watch TV, the rare times the idea crosses my mind, there will always be an issue. The batteries in the remote are exhausted, the TV requires a software update, the box needs a reboot, or similar :D
I'm not completely uncivilized I do watch TV-like content from time to time, but not on TV.
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.