On the Gradient of Thinking

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Stranger

Re: On the Gradient of Thinking

Post by Stranger »

lorenzop wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:52 pm Thanks for the clarification - agreed. However I'm inclined to NOT add any burdens or requirements in The Way. I don't believe it's required that we participate in this or that . . . though participation could certainly speed progress!
Incidentally, a few decades ago, I had an 'interaction' with an unknown Master, perhaps Tibetan, who appeared and filled the room at the right time with solid advice. Appeared a few times . . . communicated without words . . . then never appeared again since.
Yes, that's a great example of interacting with higher-order beings who can help us when we need help. And sure, no need to feel obliged. On this path we sometimes do need to take a break from involvements and remain in solitude and introspection for some time as long as it needs to be. There is a good reason behind the path of monastics and renunciates in those ancient traditions.
"You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the ocean in a drop" Rumi
lorenzop

Re: This forum

Post by lorenzop »

AshvinP wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:32 pm
What you are referring to as 'states of consciousness' is CA that has been learned instinctively. The reasoning here is similar to a mathematical virtuoso who can simply do calculations 'in his sleep' saying, "There is no conscious activity here, I don't need to invoke anything, mathematical calculations simply perform themselves in my head while I am aware and present". Of course, this reasoning neglects all of the natural, cultural, and individual history of CA that went into developing the instruments, faculties, knowledge, etc. by which such an effortless skill can be attained. Humanity is in the same situation regarding all such things that are effortlessly accomplished, like 'being aware and present'.
If you wish to refer to being awake, being aware as 'learned instinctively' -OK fine - the only manner in which I could call it learned is perhaps through multiple lifetimes leading up to being human, but this is speculation and I'm not sure what it adds.
I don't believe people have the experience of "I had to reacquaint myself with how to wake up, or I remember the day when I figured out how to be awake."
An infant is awake\aware and has experiences right from the get-go.
I would suggest that being awake\being aware is the natural state of reality - and it doesn't have to be learned. This is the Grace of Idealism.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

lorenzop wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:57 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:32 pm
What you are referring to as 'states of consciousness' is CA that has been learned instinctively. The reasoning here is similar to a mathematical virtuoso who can simply do calculations 'in his sleep' saying, "There is no conscious activity here, I don't need to invoke anything, mathematical calculations simply perform themselves in my head while I am aware and present". Of course, this reasoning neglects all of the natural, cultural, and individual history of CA that went into developing the instruments, faculties, knowledge, etc. by which such an effortless skill can be attained. Humanity is in the same situation regarding all such things that are effortlessly accomplished, like 'being aware and present'.
If you wish to refer to being awake, being aware as 'learned instinctively' -OK fine - the only manner in which I could call it learned is perhaps through multiple lifetimes leading up to being human, but this is speculation and I'm not sure what it adds.
I don't believe people have the experience of "I had to reacquaint myself with how to wake up, or I remember the day when I figured out how to be awake."
An infant is awake\aware and has experiences right from the get-go.
I would suggest that being awake\being aware is the natural state of reality - and it doesn't have to be learned. This is the Grace of Idealism.

Clearly, there are people who are much less awake, present, etc. within the flow of experience than others. All of these things exist on a gradient. It is quite possible that an infant never fully awakens to its life as the coherent center of be-ing that most of us take for granted (so much so that we even philosophize about how there is no coherent center, even though the very act of philosophizing presupposes the coherent center), if it is not given the proper opportunities to exercise its instinctive CA.

Anyway, there's not much point arguing about what to call things or speculating whether they are true or something else 'seems better'. I'm simply pointing attention to new ways of moving our thinking through these intuitions so we can experience the varying modalities of CA for ourselves and how they exist on a gradient from instinctive to fully conscious. It won't help until we learn to renounce the need to metaphysically speculate about which option on the spiritual lunch menu tastes better for us.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

AshvinP wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:31 pm Clearly, there are people who are much less awake, present, etc. within the flow of experience than others. All of these things exist on a gradient. It is quite possible that an infant never fully awakens to its life as the coherent center of be-ing that most of us take for granted (so much so that we even philosophize about how there is no coherent center, even though the very act of philosophizing presupposes the coherent center), if it is not given the proper opportunities to exercise its instinctive CA.

Anyway, there's not much point arguing about what to call things or speculating whether they are true or something else 'seems better'. I'm simply pointing attention to new ways of moving our thinking through these intuitions so we can experience the varying modalities of CA for ourselves and how they exist on a gradient from instinctive to fully conscious. It won't help until we learn to renounce the need to metaphysically speculate about which option on the spiritual lunch menu tastes better for us.
Agreed. Most folks experience more or less awareness day by day, depending on how much sleep we get, are we feeling under the weather, etc.
Yes we can all become more awake, and develop and deepen our intuition.