A No-brainer,

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lou Gold

A No-brainer,

Post by Lou Gold »

For a challenging counter to the anthropocentric bias of mentalism, here is a no-brainer.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Lou Gold

Re: A No-brainer,

Post by Lou Gold »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:30 am For a challenging counter to the anthropocentric bias of mentalism, here is a no-brainer.
I hope the Idealists here won't get distracted by the likelihood that these scientists must often use the dominant science lingo of materialism ('brains' rather than 'minds'). My point in posting this is to reveal a gaping hole in a model that limits consciousness to the 'brainy ones', which would be the challenging 'anthropocentric bias' vulnerability of Idealism.
Astra052

Post by Astra052 »

Honestly I don't see how idealism is anthropocentric? Maybe I'm alone here but I value animal consciousness and other potential consciousnesses as just important as mine. Most of us probably don't limit consciousness to just the brain. I find it competely plausible that fungi would have consciousness and I don't see how this effects my idealism.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Astra052 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:39 am Honestly I don't see how idealism is anthropocentric? Maybe I'm alone here but I value animal consciousness and other potential consciousnesses as just important as mine. Most of us probably don't limit consciousness to just the brain. I find it competely plausible that fungi would have consciousness and I don't see how this effects my idealism.
Oh, I only described the the 'anthropocentrism' as a 'vulnerability', which is surely not equally present across the spectrum of Idealism, say, perhaps, from Kastrup to Sheldrake. But, yes, this depends on how one defines true or real idealism, just as much depends on how one defines 'mind' or 'God'. To inquire in a mindful way, one might hold differing concepts of a a forest and see which one allows one to experience it must fully.

Back in the days of my wilderness vigils, I used to walk trails through the old-growth forest giving myself permission to think any thoughts I'd fancy. The only instruction was, "don't make the forest vanish." The moment I'd identify too closely with a thought, the whole forest would vanish. This is the trap called 'mentalism' and in a cautionary way I hold it up as a 'vulnerability of Idealism'. Orwell famously said, “To see what is in front of one’s nose needs a constant struggle.”
Astra052

Post by Astra052 »

Lou Gold wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:14 am
Astra052 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:39 am Honestly I don't see how idealism is anthropocentric? Maybe I'm alone here but I value animal consciousness and other potential consciousnesses as just important as mine. Most of us probably don't limit consciousness to just the brain. I find it competely plausible that fungi would have consciousness and I don't see how this effects my idealism.
Oh, I only described the the 'anthropocentrism' as a 'vulnerability', which is surely not equally present across the spectrum of Idealism, say, perhaps, from Kastrup to Sheldrake. But, yes, this depends on how one defines true or real idealism, just as much depends on how one defines 'mind' or 'God'. To inquire in a mindful way, one might hold differing concepts of a a forest and see which one allows one to experience it must fully.

Back in the days of my wilderness vigils, I used to walk trails through the old-growth forest giving myself permission to think any thoughts I'd fancy. The only instruction was, "don't make the forest vanish." The moment I'd identify too closely with a thought, the whole forest would vanish. This is the trap called 'mentalism' and in a cautionary way I hold it up as a 'vulnerability of Idealism'. Orwell famously said, “To see what is in front of one’s nose needs a constant struggle.”
I think I understand what you're saying, in which case I agree.