Nietzsche and Christianity - Metaphysical Idealist Critique

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Nietzsche and Christianity - Metaphysical Idealist Critique

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:39 pm
AshvinP wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:23 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:00 pm In theistic fundamentalism, the material/natural realm becomes so tainted by sin that any values connected to it must be shunned and it must be escaped from in one manner or another.

Makes me feel, "Perhaps you are offering a sinless (forgiving because there is nothing to forgive) Christianity, "but that would be a very unusual form of Christianity."
Not at all, the sinful nature of humanity is undeniable. I am suggesting the sinner is not other than the redeemer of sin. What naturally evolved into humanity will also be naturally redeemed by humanity, as opposed to some supernatural force which we can never really relate to or comprehend.
Redeemed by a natural (not supernatural) force of which humanity is part but not top dog. Nature bats last! It's very relatable if one is willing to relate rather than be diverted by notions of Nirvana or Heaven. However, I agree that when viewed through an ecological lens, "the sinful nature of humanity is undeniable."
Ecological disaster is downstream of metaphysical split, i.e. the 'original sin' was human self-consciousness. And therefore 'sin' is not all "evil" - we are going beyond good and evil here. But our self-conscious imagination must now be used to restore unity and integrate with individuality, rather than push the metaphysical divides even further. Another such divide is human culture-nature, manifested in radical environmental activist movements and anti-natalist philosophy. Such worldviews are not immune from the metaphysical divide and are especially dangerous because they are completely unaware of how the divide informs their views. The slogan "nature bats last" serves as proof of that inability to imagine humanity and nature united again.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

The slogan "nature bats last" serves as proof of that inability to imagine humanity and nature united again.

NONSENSE! The slogan means that humanity is not separate from nature. The uniting will occur through events from which no entity is separate. Aho Mitakuye Oyasin
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:53 pm Another such divide is human culture-nature, manifested in radical environmental activist movements and anti-natalist philosophy.
Only in those? In more holistic view, animism is fairly conservative, and so is post-structuralist "relationism" or perspectivism, as philosophically it share's a lot of common with animism.

https://ecologicalcitizen.net/pdfs/v03n1-13.pdf

Sure, in holistic view also quantitative technocracy, which objectifies and reifies nature into resources, is part of nature, not outside the whole. That does not mean that the cultural projection of "nature" by technocratic scientism is true, or that it's relation is healthy. Environmental philosophy, which seeks to heal our unhealthy relation, has struggled with the concept pair culture-nature, not finding a coherent and satisfying way to speak the division away. The contribution of new animism - perspectival multinaturalism - offers a good solution to this conundrum.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:03 pm The slogan "nature bats last" serves as proof of that inability to imagine humanity and nature united again.

NONSENSE! The slogan means that humanity is not separate from nature. The uniting will occur through events from which no entity is separate. Aho Mitakuye Oyasin
No, it doesn't mean that. It means something like, "you silly humans... just wait until nature takes her revenge on all that you have done to her". Maybe you mean something completely different, but then you should pay more attention to the slogans you employ.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:08 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:03 pm The slogan "nature bats last" serves as proof of that inability to imagine humanity and nature united again.

No, it doesn't mean that. It means something like, "you silly humans... just wait until nature takes her revenge on all that you have done to her". Maybe you mean something completely different, but then you should pay more attention to the slogans you employ.
I stand firm with the notion that "nature bats last" means "no separation" and "no free lunch" and rest my case.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:25 pm...and rest my case.

Not sure if Ashvin is the prosecutor or defence council, but are we ready to take this to the jury?
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:39 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:25 pm...and rest my case.

Not sure if Ashvin is the prosecutor or defence council, but are we ready to take this to the jury?
I'm moving for summary judgment as a matter of law, so no jury needed, only the Judge. In the absence of BK, I think that's either you or Simon...
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Don't know about Simon, but I'm suggesting we take a recess 🧐
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:03 pm Don't know about Simon, but I'm suggesting we take a recess 🧐
LOL - sounds like a wise decision and I’m happy to support. I try not to play a judicial role, as my views are sometimes controversial, and I’d like people to feel free to say I’m talking crap in a way that wouldn’t be fitting to a judge :)
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:44 pm
AshvinP wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:53 pm Another such divide is human culture-nature, manifested in radical environmental activist movements and anti-natalist philosophy.
Only in those? In more holistic view, animism is fairly conservative, and so is post-structuralist "relationism" or perspectivism, as philosophically it share's a lot of common with animism.

https://ecologicalcitizen.net/pdfs/v03n1-13.pdf

Sure, in holistic view also quantitative technocracy, which objectifies and reifies nature into resources, is part of nature, not outside the whole. That does not mean that the cultural projection of "nature" by technocratic scientism is true, or that it's relation is healthy. Environmental philosophy, which seeks to heal our unhealthy relation, has struggled with the concept pair culture-nature, not finding a coherent and satisfying way to speak the division away. The contribution of new animism - perspectival multinaturalism - offers a good solution to this conundrum.
Definitely not only in those. Pretty much in every somewhat popular worldview, one pole or the other is neglected to an alarming degree which only leads to totalitarianism and or nihilism. Which is why Nietsche had a healthy dose of incisive criticism for just about everyone, past, present and future.

I know you provided a link, which I may check out later, but can also provide a synopsis of "new animism" tenets? TiA!
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."