Getting Real

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: Getting Real

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:23 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:53 pmI believe the silent ones are 'winning'.

Or just not interested in your clearly not silent game.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:11 pm It is under "my" view, meaning the view informed by a great number of idealist philosophers. I know many will claim there is nothing within objective idealism which necessitates a spiritual reality, i.e. conscious beings which are influencing us and the world we live in, but I disagree. Anyway, the point was, we can strive for spiritual freedom independent of any external agents while also adhering to societal rules, which should be rather obvious, and therefore Lou's claim that it was "utter nonsense" based on the need for Covid regulations is a terrible counter-point, so terrible that it makes me think he has no interest in metaphysics whatsoever.
Sure, spiritual reality necessitates some sort of idealism. Objective idealism sounds weird to me, at least in the wiki definition:
Objective idealism is an idealistic metaphysics that postulates that there is in an important sense only one perceiver
Perception theories in all forms, ie. something perceiving an objective reality, are subject-object dualism. "Only one perceiver" sounds like another way of saying: solipsism.

Wiki is in bad shape in this regard. "Analytical idealism" (by Ewing, not further explained) takes to article about "Objective idealism", which is short stub. Analytical idealism should have it's own article, with main reference to BK's theory instead of Ewing.

Oh, and no article for BK yet...

Sorry, I was digressing. BK's analytical idealism seems closer to Berkeley's subjective idealism, when we switch Berkeley's 'subject' with alter, and 'god' with M@L, and don't go too deep in theology. For me, the question between asubjective ontology, and ontological subject-object dualism is crucial. Cosmic solipsism maintains S-O dualism, asubjective ontology, where perspectival S-O relations can arise and cease, associates naturally with animistic spiritual reality (at least based on Finnish linguistic evidence) and complex networks of intentionalities (distributed Will). Agentivity could be a matter of degree and contextual perspective.

'Independent' is problematic concept, as in my view it's always a matter of degree, not absolute either-or. There can be various degrees of ontological, ethical, spiritual etc. independence, with complex relations and dependencies between various areas. I like the term 'spiritual anarchy' better, as ethical refusal of becoming a ruler. The story of temptation of Christ, and his refusal to rule over world, is an exemplary story of what spiritual anarchy means. Naturally, the ethical choice of spiritual anarchy presupposes spiritual freedom, otherwise the choice can't be genuine.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:27 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:23 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:53 pmI believe the silent ones are 'winning'.

Or just not interested in your clearly not silent game.
Same thing. :D
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

On the philosophical level, our tendency to define suffering as real is interesting. It reminds me of Schopenhauer's claim that
“Pleasure and well-being is negative and suffering positive, the happiness of a given life is not to be measured according to the joys and pleasures
it contains but according to the absence of the positive element, the absence of suffering.”
Or in the words that a chassidic master put into the mouth of one of his characters:
"For, each and every voice in the world is only about needs, since everybody screams about his deficit, that is, what he hasn't got;
and even all the world's celebrations are all exclusively about deficits, as someone rejoices over what he didn't have whereas now he has what he didn't have"
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Shaibei wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:02 pm On the philosophical level, our tendency to define suffering as real is interesting. It reminds me of Schopenhauer's claim that
“Pleasure and well-being is negative and suffering positive, the happiness of a given life is not to be measured according to the joys and pleasures
it contains but according to the absence of the positive element, the absence of suffering.”
Or in the words that a chassidic master put into the mouth of one of his characters:
"For, each and every voice in the world is only about needs, since everybody screams about his deficit, that is, what he hasn't got;
and even all the world's celebrations are all exclusively about deficits, as someone rejoices over what he didn't have whereas now he has what he didn't have"
Or, perhaps, pain is real but suffering is optional. Of course, as soon as one clings (positively or negatively) the opposite emerges.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:41 pmSame thing. :D

Well, insofar as the heyoka game of the 'trickster' starts to become blatantly transparent, what's the trick?
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:19 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:41 pmSame thing. :D

Well, insofar as the heyoka game of the 'trickster' starts to become blatantly transparent, what's the trick?
The trick is revealed by what you do with it.
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:17 pm
Shaibei wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:02 pm On the philosophical level, our tendency to define suffering as real is interesting. It reminds me of Schopenhauer's claim that
Or, perhaps, pain is real but suffering is optional. Of course, as soon as one clings (positively or negatively) the opposite emerges.
Maybe. Although this is not an easy task. After writing the comment above I looked at it again and understood why "the quiet ones win". They do not need to talk because they win ... (alternatively they keep everything in their stomachs until things explode)
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:21 pmThe trick is revealed by what you do with it.

Which in this case was to reveal its transparency.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Shaibei wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:25 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:17 pm
Maybe. Although this is not an easy task. After writing the comment above I looked at it again and understood why "the quiet ones win". They do not need to talk because they win ... (alternatively they keep everything in their stomachs until things explode)

Exactly!

Martial art Aikido founder Ueshiba said something like, "I have placed myself in harmony with the Universe. The mere thought of attacking me will defeat the attacker. I call this harmony Love." It may be that silence does not work because it wins but because it transcends (lets go of) winning.