Gramsci and idealism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lou Gold

Re: Gramsci and idealism

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:58 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:15 pmPerhaps past is not prologue as with previous paradigm shifts? Maybe a singularity?

Well, not surprisingly, we've been down this road before, have we not? And as I've said before, having no crystal ball, I can only offer a story, about which you would likely find something to argue over, given your contrarian nature. Anyway, you're the story-teller, so perhaps best to go with what resonates well with you. Who am I to argue with it? :D
Boys do have their fun. We're mostly on the same page Shu. Here I get to enjoy the joust. Generally, I enjoy more a stroll by the sea where there's nothing to be contrarian about.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:13 pm
For another take on the masculine quest, see this one.
We must invest time and passion in specific goals and at the same time acknowledge that these are mutable. The circumstances of women’s lives now and in the past provide examples for new ways of thinking about the lives of both men and women. What are the possible transfers of learning when life is a collage of different tasks? How does creativity flourish on distraction? What insights arise from the experience of multiplicity and ambiguity? And at what point does desperate improvisation become significant achievement? These are important questions in a world in which we are all increasingly strangers and sojourners. The knight errant, who finds his challenges along the way, may be a better model for our times than the knight who is questing for the Grail.
Why distract with another thread? :)

A favorite poet of mine, Pentti Saarikoski, did write that "A poet needs to be distracted." But poetry is neither masculine nor feminine, as well as both and.

Learning and perfecting a craft still needs dedication and focused concentration, in some moderation some peace from the attention seeking distractions by the feminine art of multitasking.

So, no. She is not in the position to one-sidedly and greedily define all lives from women's lives only. The chalice, the Grail, is already in the hands of Mother Pandora, has always been. And Matriarchy would be boring as hell with blind obedience by males to every distraction from having fun and playing. "Our times", she says, as if she knows and owns the mystery and forms of time.

In the words of another poet (ie. yours truly):

River has only one one shore.
I am Prometheus, from my hands
grow dandelions,
telescope suns.

Your chalice is over flowing, Pandora,
pouring down the street.
I am Epimetheus, I sit
so long that the river is not the same,

a boat of bark in the brook.
I made a sail from a paper,
put a coin for a cargo.
I can't remember what I have forgotten,

how with fire in my hands,
I put my hands in the stream,
from the clay of the stream
the chalice in your hand.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Zizek on Poetry and Soul:
Monstrous killers are not the ones without a ‘soul’, because it takes a ‘soul’, a rich inner life, to produce fantasies which somehow justify their terrible acts – fantasies like their enemies having no ‘soul’, or their enemies’ ‘soul’ being somehow wrong. Behind every big political crime there is a poet or a religious myth. For example, there is no ethnic cleansing without poetry. Why? Because we live in an era which perceives itself as post-ideological. Since great public causes no longer have the force to mobilize people for mass violence, a larger sacred Cause is needed, which makes petty individual concerns about killing seem trivial. Religion, ethnic belonging or quality of the ‘soul’ fit this role perfectly. Of course, there are cases of pathological atheists who are able to commit mass murder just for pleasure, but they are rare exceptions – the majority needs to be anaesthetized against their elementary sensitivity to the other’s suffering, and for this, a sacred Cause is needed. Religious ideologists usually claim that, true or not, religion makes some otherwise bad people to do some good things; from today’s experience, one should rather stick to Steve Weinberg’s claim that while, without religion, good people would have been doing good things and bad people bad things, only religion can make good people do bad things.
https://www.rt.com/op-ed/519507-slavoj- ... den-putin/
Zizek is to the point by emphasizing that no poetry can ever claim innocence and be true. The question of soul - ability to feel and be felt - is much more complex. No apology for religions, but denying soul in the sense just said, ie. empathy barrier of materialism, can be the worst religion of all.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou,

You keep on asking about praxis of idealism. Idealism enables animism, materialism denies it.

A good praxis is the craft of crying. Professional crying has been traditionally a female career and craft. A lot of poetry and philosophy was involved in trapping myself to opening the door of humanism also to the other spirit kin, but now the art is not about writing laments.

To heal ourselves, our relations, we need to start from somewhere, from something small. The mice kin has been asking for attention for quite a while now in this local life. Our communication with an emuu, the Mother of Mice, started from the usual, trying to negotiate a way of a house that would not involve too much mess and mouse-traps. When she reminded me of the much bigger issue of what is done to her children in the laboratories, the flood gates of tears opened. At the end of the discussion, behind the bittersweet tears of a man, a father, there was a feel of compassion and friendship.

Teaching men to cry, learning to cry again, is not a distraction. It is a long craft and a rough journey not without its traps of bitter resentment and blame gaming. I don't know how to stop the laboratory business of animal sacrifice and torture. I don't know how to tell that to a human mothers worry for her children and quest for Western medicine.

This praxis of idealism, giving tears of a father and a man to our spirit kin, is not about political change and law making. This praxis is simply just opening and maintaining our compassion with our spirit kin, our relation. As such, it means something, adding our tears to the Grail that She is holding.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

SanteriSatama wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 pm Lou,

You keep on asking about praxis of idealism. Idealism enables animism, materialism denies it.

A good praxis is the craft of crying. Professional crying has been traditionally a female career and craft. A lot of poetry and philosophy was involved in trapping myself to opening the door of humanism also to the other spirit kin, but now the art is not about writing laments.

To heal ourselves, our relations, we need to start from somewhere, from something small. The mice kin has been asking for attention for quite a while now in this local life. Our communication with an emuu, the Mother of Mice, started from the usual, trying to negotiate a way of a house that would not involve too much mess and mouse-traps. When she reminded me of the much bigger issue of what is done to her children in the laboratories, the flood gates of tears opened. At the end of the discussion, behind the bittersweet tears of a man, a father, there was a feel of compassion and friendship.

Teaching men to cry, learning to cry again, is not a distraction. It is a long craft and a rough journey not without its traps of bitter resentment and blame gaming. I don't know how to stop the laboratory business of animal sacrifice and torture. I don't know how to tell that to a human mothers worry for her children and quest for Western medicine.

This praxis of idealism, giving tears of a father and a man to our spirit kin, is not about political change and law making. This praxis is simply just opening and maintaining our compassion with our spirit kin, our relation. As such, it means something, adding our tears to the Grail that She is holding.
Santeri, I agree with your drift about men and animism and tears but find it playing out differently. Yes, one committed to metaphysical materialism does as you suggest but I know lots of men who are simple (non-philosophical) materialists who are darn good with letting the tears flow.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:01 am Santeri, I agree with your drift about men and animism and tears but find it playing out differently. Yes, one committed to metaphysical materialism does as you suggest but I know lots of men who are simple (non-philosophical) materialists who are darn good with letting the tears flow.
What do you mean by "it" and how should it play out?

Motherhood is a multiplicity. "Hi mom, sorry for the mom." Regardless of what is between the legs, you have to be man enough to become an open interval between motherhoods. In the between men can comprehend that in their worry and sorrow for their children and urge to procreate, eat and feed, all motherhoods of various kins are equal.

In the spirit, there can be only matriarchy, has ever been. Whether the matriarchy is a war or a peace or what mixture of those, men can't decide. For how matriarchy decides, we can only give the seed of our tears that come from our compassion with all motherhoods. As for how we relate with human mothers of flesh and blood and emotion, should we keep our tears to ourselves, or talk them more in the open?
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:28 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:01 am Santeri, I agree with your drift about men and animism and tears but find it playing out differently. Yes, one committed to metaphysical materialism does as you suggest but I know lots of men who are simple (non-philosophical) materialists who are darn good with letting the tears flow.
What do you mean by "it" and how should it play out?

Motherhood is a multiplicity. "Hi mom, sorry for the mom." Regardless of what is between the legs, you have to be man enough to become an open interval between motherhoods. In the between men can comprehend that in their worry and sorrow for their children and urge to procreate, eat and feed, all motherhoods of various kins are equal.

In the spirit, there can be only matriarchy, has ever been. Whether the matriarchy is a war or a peace or what mixture of those, men can't decide. For how matriarchy decides, we can only give the seed of our tears that come from our compassion with all motherhoods. As for how we relate with human mothers of flesh and blood and emotion, should we keep our tears to ourselves, or talk them more in the open?

To appreciate her as sovereign and yourself as divine, both within and with other, arches toward beauty.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:55 pm arches toward beauty.
Oh yes. The mathematical beauty of arches of exponential growth and extremely slow growth around linear growth; and how natural logarithm, other transcendentals etc. all relate here.

SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

And as she said, our theories can't hold water, they leak. Pee, tears etc.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm And as she said, our theories can't hold water, they leak. Pee, tears etc.
Mitakuye Oyasin -- All Our Relations.