What does the moral code of idealism look like?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lou Gold

Re: What does the moral code of idealism look like?

Post by Lou Gold »

Deepak Chopra thinks A Reality Reset is Coming via Consciousness (Idealism).
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Ed Konderla

Post by Ed Konderla »

I believe a reset is coming and humanity is about to "reap the whirlwind". How much the outcome and the direction it takes has to do with consciousness is beyond me. Let me ask how many here are "converts" to idealism and how much have your daily lives and values changed due to that conversion? In my case I can't think of much. My internal life and dialogue has changed due to the fact I finally got the answer that wedded scientific fact with spirituality. In so many ways idealism brings us back full circle to what much of what the ancients already perceived. To a certain extent people like Bernardo have given us permission to think it again. From a practical matter a reset has to occur. If you were able to graph man's coyote (of road Runner Fame) like charge off of the cliff versus scientific development maybe you could predict if science(ACME) is going to save the coyote. My guess is no way in hell. Does that make idealism ineffective or wrong? Absolutely not. If one is able to fully incorporate the reality that idealism acknowledges, doesn't create, but only acknowledges then an idealist should be able to face the unavoidable reset that is coming with courage which is always better and more effective than fear.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Ed Konderla wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:46 am I believe a reset is coming and humanity is about to "reap the whirlwind". How much the outcome and the direction it takes has to do with consciousness is beyond me. Let me ask how many here are "converts" to idealism and how much have your daily lives and values changed due to that conversion? In my case I can't think of much. My internal life and dialogue has changed due to the fact I finally got the answer that wedded scientific fact with spirituality. In so many ways idealism brings us back full circle to what much of what the ancients already perceived. To a certain extent people like Bernardo have given us permission to think it again. From a practical matter a reset has to occur. If you were able to graph man's coyote (of road Runner Fame) like charge off of the cliff versus scientific development maybe you could predict if science(ACME) is going to save the coyote. My guess is no way in hell. Does that make idealism ineffective or wrong? Absolutely not. If one is able to fully incorporate the reality that idealism acknowledges, doesn't create, but only acknowledges then an idealist should be able to face the unavoidable reset that is coming with courage which is always better and more effective than fear.
Bravo Ed. Well put. The problem, of course, is that we idealists are going to have to deal with a lot of fearful people and the old social roles, from doctors to politicians to generals to black marketers who will play to them. I think the name of the game for idealists will be to reduce the suffering in any practical ways that we can. In a sense, the reset is an initiation into an ancient-future of being human that better incorporates the old wisdom in a modern way.

T.S. Eliot put it well:

With the drawing of this Love and the voice of this Calling

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Through the unknown, unremembered gate
When the last of earth left to discover
Is that which was the beginning;
At the source of the longest river
The voice of the hidden waterfall
And the children in the apple-tree

Not known, because not looked for
But heard, half-heard, in the stillness
Between two waves of the sea.
Quick now, here, now, always--
A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)
And all shall be well and
All manner of thing shall be well
When the tongues of flames are in-folded
Into the crowned knot of fire
And the fire and the rose are one.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

I just keep in heart and mind that the reset is the healing, regardless of how it may otherwise appear through the lens of the old conditioning. But as with any deep healing, say from major surgery, don't expect it to be easy or pretty, as it involves significant pain, discomfort, feverish spells, exhaustion, anxiety, rehab and frustration at the necessary timeline of the process. Yet it takes however long it takes, and there is really nothing to be done that makes it happen, as it is performed by an immanent intelligence far vaster than our human concepts can comprehend, to which one can only surrender and trust, rather than focusing on there being something wrong with the process, or that somehow it should be happening otherwise, for what needs to happen, is precisely what is happening.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Ed Konderla

Post by Ed Konderla »

God I love that and I love your comment! I'm not a follower of poetry as a rule because it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.. I was a profesional artist for about 15 years although I never was comfortable with that title. But if you are going to play in that arena you have to play by their rules. One thing I discovered is that world can be a haven for people that are cracked vessels that cling to that identity with the same desperation a drowning man clings to a life preserver. They are people with no talent or skill but you don't dare question their "art".

Back to your comment. There are way to many people running around out there wanting to be messiahs and everything is about huge fundamental change in humanity. Well good luck with that. I have always been a seeker of the reluctant messiah. I think you are spot on about what idealist can do.
One can't help everyone but one can help someone. And if all a person is doing is getting rich and famous helping the little guy while letting a few crumbs fall off of his plate for the people in need I have no time for them. That actually becomes part of the business model. You have to appear to care. This level of hypocrisy is happening across all challenges right now regardless if it is climate change, equal rights, you name it.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ed Konderla wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:54 pmOne thing I discovered is that world can be a haven for people that are cracked vessels that cling to that identity with the same desperation a drowning man clings to a life preserver.

Oh for the day that will come, when everyone's identity is the only identity there truly is.
Ed Konderla

Post by Ed Konderla »

Lou Gold wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:12 pm
Ed Konderla wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:46 am I believe a reset is coming and humanity is about to "reap the whirlwind". How much the outcome and the direction it takes has to do with consciousness is beyond me. Let me ask how many here are "converts" to idealism and how much have your daily lives and values changed due to that conversion? In my case I can't think of much. My internal life and dialogue has changed due to the fact I finally got the answer that wedded scientific fact with spirituality. In so many ways idealism brings us back full circle to what much of what the ancients already perceived. To a certain extent people like Bernardo have given us permission to think it again. From a practical matter a reset has to occur. If you were able to graph man's coyote (of road Runner Fame) like charge off of the cliff versus scientific development maybe you could predict if science(ACME) is going to save the coyote. My guess is no way in hell. Does that make idealism ineffective or wrong? Absolutely not. If one is able to fully incorporate the reality that idealism acknowledges, doesn't create, but only acknowledges then an idealist should be able to face the unavoidable reset that is coming with courage which is always better and more effective than fear.
Bravo Ed. Well put. The problem, of course, is that we idealists are going to have to deal with a lot of fearful people and the old social roles, from doctors to politicians to generals to black marketers who will play to them. I think the name of the game for idealists will be to reduce the suffering in any practical ways that we can. In a sense, the reset is an initiation into an ancient-future of being human that better incorporates the old wisdom in a modern way.

T.S. Eliot put it well:

With the drawing of this Love and the voice of this Calling

We shall not cease from exploration

Lou
I haven't quite figured this system out but farther down I stated I loved your comment. This is the comment I was talking about.
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Through the unknown, unremembered gate
When the last of earth left to discover
Is that which was the beginning;
At the source of the longest river
The voice of the hidden waterfall
And the children in the apple-tree

Not known, because not looked for
But heard, half-heard, in the stillness
Between two waves of the sea.
Quick now, here, now, always--
A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)
And all shall be well and
All manner of thing shall be well
When the tongues of flames are in-folded
Into the crowned knot of fire
And the fire and the rose are one.
Ed Konderla

Post by Ed Konderla »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:40 pm
Ed Konderla wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:54 pmOne thing I discovered is that world can be a haven for people that are cracked vessels that cling to that identity with the same desperation a drowning man clings to a life preserver.

Oh for the day that will come, when everyone's identity is the only identity there truly is.
To me that sounds boring. I remember the first time I met a bunch of oil field workers that loved to get drunk after working hard all day and then beat the living hell out of one another. At first I thought there is no way that can be fun and secondly it was insane. After working around these guys for a number of years I still thought it was insane but did accept they thought it was fun. Right now on Youtube I'm watching these guys ride mountain bikes in these extreme competitions with GoPro cameras on their helmets. Each trip there has to be a 100 ways to die...painfully, but they love it. I wonder if mind at large gets the same thrill vicariously as I do watching these guys.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Ed Konderla wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:13 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:40 pm

To me that sounds boring. I remember the first time I met a bunch of oil field workers that loved to get drunk after working hard all day and then beat the living hell out of one another. At first I thought there is no way that can be fun and secondly it was insane. After working around these guys for a number of years I still thought it was insane but did accept they thought it was fun. Right now on Youtube I'm watching these guys ride mountain bikes in these extreme competitions with GoPro cameras on their helmets. Each trip there has to be a 100 ways to die...painfully, but they love it. I wonder if mind at large gets the same thrill vicariously as I do watching these guys.
Ed, it's not my cup of tea but I grok what you say. There's a performance high that's hard to beat. I have a natural athlete friend who, as a conscientious objector, became an infantry medic in Vietnam carrying out around 80 casualties from his platoon. He didn't like to talk about it and never mentioned the medals he was awarded. One day, in a rare mood, he opened up. I asked, "How was it?" He answered, "It was the best team experience I've ever had."
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ed Konderla wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:13 pmTo me that sounds boring.
Not so here at all, as that source of all I-ness manifests as a seeming infinitude of unique and diverse lifeforms, one of which is the delightful song sparrow that for several days in a row now has been trying to start up a springtime affair with a pseudo-soulmate reflected in the illusory woodland of the basement windowpane, leaving me pondering what its identity might be, apart from that source.