Metamorphoses of the Spirit: Incarnating the Christ

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Eugene I

Re: Metamorphoses of the Spirit: Incarnating the Christ

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:29 pm The bold remains merely abstract and unapproachable unless we specify paths by which they can be approached. That is precisely what Anthroposophy does. And it does not rule out meditative-mystical approaches either, but only claims that, by themselves, those approaches are not sufficient.
And this precisely that the so called "meditative-mystical approaches" also do, but interesting enough, they also consider the Anthroposophist path insufficient/incomplete because it is missing and disregarding certain key aspects of reality, and because of that, misinterpret it.

So, because the issue is that they are missing something essential, there is no point of discussing what they are not missing and what was mentioned in the quotes of the essay. The quotes look fine in general.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:42 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:29 pm The bold remains merely abstract and unapproachable unless we specify paths by which they can be approached. That is precisely what Anthroposophy does. And it does not rule out meditative-mystical approaches either, but only claims that, by themselves, those approaches are not sufficient.
And this precisely that the so called "meditative-mystical approaches" also do, but interesting enough, they also consider the Anthroposophist path insufficient/incomplete because it is missing and disregarding certain key aspects of reality, and because of that, misinterpret it.

So, because the issue is that they are missing something essential, there is no point of discussing what they are not missing and what was mentioned in the quotes of the essay. The quotes look fine in general.
So what specifically is the Anthroposophist path missing, according to you and your approach?
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:52 pm So what specifically is the Anthroposophist path missing, according to you and your approach?
see here
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:52 pm So what specifically is the Anthroposophist path missing, according to you and your approach?
Absent such experiential knowledge, the only way the West could close the Kantian gap was to assume that the cognition can actually know all there is to reality, which means that the reality is entirely reducible to ideas comprehendible by cognition.
The experiential knowledge of Mind knowing Itself is an idea. So what you are describing is already contained within the Western idealist tradition of Anthroposophy. It is not missing from that tradition. But that tradition also goes much further to specify more ideal relations (not necessarily "all there is to reality") in addition to the simple fact that Mind exists and can know Itself, which is necessary for there to be any sort of productive spiritual growth.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:41 pm The experiential knowledge of Mind knowing Itself is an idea.
No it's not, that's the key difference. But because the Western philosophers are unfamiliar with such experience, all they know is ideas only and therefore they naturally arrive at the conclusion that such knowledge must be just another kind of idea. And there is indeed such idea- the universal Mind knows itself as an idea "I exist, I am". But in addition to such idea there is a direct experience of it that is not an idea, but the one from which such idea originates (and usually it happens unconsciously without realization of such connection and origination). But such experience is not just the experience of "I am" but experience of itself in every form and every phenomenon. Every form and phenomenon turns out to be reality directly experiencing itself in such phenomenon.
But that tradition also goes much further to specify more ideal relations (not necessarily "all there is to reality") in addition to the simple fact that Mind exists and can know Itself
Right, studying those relations is definitely a good part of the Western contribution. Yet, even that knowledge is slightly distorted because of the lacking component of experience, and based on that, investing to much value and emphasis to the relations and ideas only (because according to its view, knowing ideas is knowing everything to be known about reality). In a way, it's lacking a balance. I'll quote myself here with this analogy again:
It's like you always looked below the horizon paying all your attention only to all the variety of life that happens on the ground and all the mechanics and relations of that, and you thought that the life on the ground is all there is to life and to the world. And suddenly you raised your eyes and for the first time see the luminous and indivisible sky. There may be a temptation to forget the ground and get stoned just looking at the sky, but I don't think it's a good choice either. Instead, it is better to enhance you view and see the whole picture at once all the time - both the sky and the ground, and keep walking on the ground while enjoying the wholeness of the landscape. This is where we can find the perfect balance between being too much lost and focused in the details of what happens on the ground, or being stoned and focused on the sky only.
So the world of ideas and relations in such all-encompassing view becomes only one of the aspects of reality, still an essential one, but not exhaustive or complete in itself.

Another thing to note is that ideas can definitely reflect the reality, but never entirely accurately and comprehensively, and therefore, because there is no ultimate and most accurate way to reflect it with ideas, there may be a variety of ways to reflect and express it, neither of them any truer than the other. For example, different non-dual traditions (Taoism, Buddhism, Advaita) reflected the reality with different ideas and expressions that may seem to be somewhat different, but still all of them pointing to and reflecting upon the same experiential reality. Therefore, there is definitely a universal reality, but no universal truth as an idea that can comprehensively encompass it.
Last edited by Eugene I on Mon May 03, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

By the way, there was a good conversation with BK involved here, but unfortunately it became unavailable. There Bernardo stated that all the world is "only experiences" (!) (instead of saying "only ideas"). So clearly BK understands that the reality is essentially conscious experience, not just conscious ideas.
Apanthropinist

Post by Apanthropinist »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:59 pm
Eugene I wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:42 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:14 pm There are no spiritual "dictatorships" being referenced here. That is simply your opinion, which you of course are entitled to. Western spirituality is entirely based on the notion of the sovereign individual who must be guaranteed certain basic freedoms by virtue of being made in the image of God. That is not always reflected well by religious sects and political parties, but nevertheless it is a fact which is clear from Biblical scripture.
Don't see much sovereignty in Biblical scriptures (see below), but rather I see a spiritual dictate and lack of personal freedom. In a typical dictatorship everyone of course have freedom of choice, but the choices are limited to either complying with the dictator or being punished for not to be compliant. That is the most common theme in the Old Testament, but also present in the New one. Universal societal "telos" defined by a single authority is another hallmark of a dictatorship. Noone is allowed to follow any other larger-scale telos of a personal choice.

"I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me"
"Anyone who isn’t with me opposes me, and anyone who isn’t working with me is actually working against me"
"But the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
I am getting a bit tired of addressing these completely irrelevant arguments instead of the specific claims made in the essay and elsewhere<. ..................................> So can we just save ourselves the trouble and move on to something that was actually mentioned in the essay?

Happy to oblige:

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:48 pm I did not make an argument for "Deities" or "Theological entities" in the Kant essay or this essay.
Quotes from your "Metamorphoses of the Spirit: Incarnating the Christ"

"Steiner is easily the most prolific and profound commentator on the metamorphoses of Spirit."

"Perhaps a series of events when the sovereign individual consciousness became the most important locus of the Spirit."

"Specifically, they highlight the individual ego becoming responsible for its own progressive reintegration within the Divine."

"Christ in Jesus also speaks of fulfilling the law and the prophets rather than abolishing them."

"As maddening as it may be for militant skeptics, what Christ revealed is not much different from what modern science has also revealed."

"The only difference between sound Christian theology and sound assessment of theoretical physics stems from the latter's refusal to acknowledge that what is standing 'behind' the appearances of the world is psychic in nature."

"What illuminates the shadows dancing in front of us on the cave wall is not more shadowy stuff, but the true Source of Light."

"...therefore, we are striving to become Christ-like in the most real and concrete sense we can possibly imagine for ourselves."

"Here is when the dualist Christian chimes in to say, "it is not only seemingly impossible, but actually impossible, and that is why we remain forever dependent on God's grace". Yet, if our broad overview through the metamorphoses of Spirit has revealed to us anything so far, it is that our cross is only ours to bear right now."

"The third and final part of this essay will explore the reason why our spiritual activity, as it has metamorphosed over the centuries, is connected to the Divine. We will see how anyone reading these words right now can begin exploring these connective relationships of the Spirit at any given time they choose. We all have a choice to make and let us remain honest with ourselves when doing so, because the stakes remain very high. Only then can we begin contemplating how it is that Saint Paul remarked so many centuries ago, "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me."

Then can we also begin taking seriously what Jesus prayed to his disciples at the Last Supper:

"You, Father, are in me, and I am in you. May they also be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. I have given them the glory You gave Me, so that they may be one as We are one - I in them and You in me - that they may be perfectly united..."
- John 17:21-23
."
AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:48 pm Maybe I am just too dull to follow your logic, or maybe you are not, in fact, talking about anything of substance. Until you provide more clarity, I am happy to leave this as it is.
I doubt anyone, dull or smart, could support the logic of your assertion that you are not making an argument for Theological entities/Divinity (as I quoted from your essay above)...or maybe you are not, in fact, talking about anything of analytical idealism. Until you cease being disingenuous, I am happy to continue.
'Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel''
Socrates
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Apanthropinist wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:43 pm
Eugene I wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:42 pm
Don't see much sovereignty in Biblical scriptures (see below), but rather I see a spiritual dictate and lack of personal freedom. In a typical dictatorship everyone of course have freedom of choice, but the choices are limited to either complying with the dictator or being punished for not to be compliant. That is the most common theme in the Old Testament, but also present in the New one. Universal societal "telos" defined by a single authority is another hallmark of a dictatorship. Noone is allowed to follow any other larger-scale telos of a personal choice.

"I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me"
"Anyone who isn’t with me opposes me, and anyone who isn’t working with me is actually working against me"
"But the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
I am getting a bit tired of addressing these completely irrelevant arguments instead of the specific claims made in the essay and elsewhere<. ..................................> So can we just save ourselves the trouble and move on to something that was actually mentioned in the essay?

Happy to oblige:

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:48 pm I did not make an argument for "Deities" or "Theological entities" in the Kant essay or this essay.

"Steiner is easily the most prolific and profound commentator on the metamorphoses of Spirit."

"Perhaps a series of events when the sovereign individual consciousness became the most important locus of the Spirit."

"Specifically, they highlight the individual ego becoming responsible for its own progressive reintegration within the Divine."

"Christ in Jesus also speaks of fulfilling the law and the prophets rather than abolishing them."

"As maddening as it may be for militant skeptics, what Christ revealed is not much different from what modern science has also revealed."

"The only difference between sound Christian theology and sound assessment of theoretical physics stems from the latter's refusal to acknowledge that what is standing 'behind' the appearances of the world is psychic in nature."

"What illuminates the shadows dancing in front of us on the cave wall is not more shadowy stuff, but the true Source of Light."

"...therefore, we are striving to become Christ-like in the most real and concrete sense we can possibly imagine for ourselves."

"Here is when the dualist Christian chimes in to say, "it is not only seemingly impossible, but actually impossible, and that is why we remain forever dependent on God's grace". Yet, if our broad overview through the metamorphoses of Spirit has revealed to us anything so far, it is that our cross is only ours to bear right now."

"The third and final part of this essay will explore the reason why our spiritual activity, as it has metamorphosed over the centuries, is connected to the Divine. We will see how anyone reading these words right now can begin exploring these connective relationships of the Spirit at any given time they choose. We all have a choice to make and let us remain honest with ourselves when doing so, because the stakes remain very high. Only then can we begin contemplating how it is that Saint Paul remarked so many centuries ago, "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me."

Then can we also begin taking seriously what Jesus prayed to his disciples at the Last Supper:

"You, Father, are in me, and I am in you. May they also be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. I have given them the glory You gave Me, so that they may be one as We are one - I in them and You in me - that they may be perfectly united..."
."
AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:48 pm Maybe I am just too dull to follow your logic, or maybe you are not, in fact, talking about anything of substance. Until you provide more clarity, I am happy to leave this as it is.
I doubt anyone, dull or smart, could support the logic of your assertion that you are not making an argument for Theological entities/Divinity (as I quoted from your essay above)...or maybe you are not, in fact, talking about anything of analytical idealism. Until you cease being disingenuous, I am happy to continue.
See response in the essay thread where I actually made that comment.
Apanthropinist

Post by Apanthropinist »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:32 pm
Apanthropinist wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:43 pm

Happy to oblige:

."
See response in the essay thread where I actually made that comment.
I suspect it may be better placed here seeing as though it references the title of your essay "Metamorphoses of the Spirit: Incarnating the Christ"
'Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel''
Socrates
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Apanthropinist wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:16 pm I suspect it may be better placed here seeing as though it references the title of your essay "Metamorphoses of the Spirit: Incarnating the Christ"
You placed it here disingenuously to call me "disingenuous". Have we debated before on Thinkspot? Because your childish tactics remind me of a few people on that forum.