What constitutes “observation” (/“measurement”)

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
SanteriSatama

Re: What constitutes “observation” (/“measurement”)

Post by SanteriSatama »

Simon Adams wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:30 pm
SanteriSatama wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 pm But are sun and moon really same from yesterday to tomorrow?
All ‘things’ are always changing, but for a time they are things. They have no being, then they have being, then they have no being.
And is it really "consistent" if some observers observe them primarily as spiritual beings, and others as material objects?
In representation they are not consistent, but in being they are. You may think I’m an idiot, Ashvin may think I’m crazy, but to me I’m always just me (which includes crazy and idiot sometimes!).
I don't think you are an idiot, and who knows, perhaps you are crazy in a good way. I'm trying to learn from you, hence question marks. :)

I still don't know what you mean by 'consistent' and 'being'.
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:13 am What are "archetypal ideas that shape [phenomenal world]" if not living beings? Are they blobs of 'mental stuff' floating around in spiritual dimension?
They are ideas in the divine intellect. They form the universe through being spoken. But you and I have VERY different ideas of the divine, as for me the logos goes into the space within god to create that which is not god. The universe is from god and within god but is not god;
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways My ways,”
declares the LORD.
9“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so My ways are higher than your ways
and My thoughts than your thoughts.
10For just as rain and snow fall from heaven
and do not return without watering the earth,
making it bud and sprout,
and providing seed to sow and food to eat,
11so My word that proceeds from My mouth
will not return to Me empty,
but it will accomplish what I please,
and it will prosper where I send it.
Ashvin wrote: I think you are forgetting the entire reason idealist philosophy is so important in the modern world - it's because the materialist thinks they are gaining insight into the true essence of Reality by learning the dynamics of abstractions in fields such as QM. But that is false! That is entirely a product of the Cartesian-Kantian divides in modernity, where it is simply assumed that are at least two separate realms and the realm of 'matter' is what discloses to us the essential working of the world we see, while the realm of 'mind' is limited to each individual being (and perhaps some transcendent God in another dimension).
By and large I agree with this. What the physicists detect is only ever going to be the surface phenomena, like trying to understand what Balti Chilli Masala tastes like from a photo.
Yes, these 20th century scientific developments can provide us with insights about Reality, but only if they are illuminated by the Spirit (Mind) from within. Otherwise, we are just studying the dynamics of exterior surfaces with no interiority. QM results do not provide any meaning to the question of what happens to two rocks colliding in the absence of any observation... if anything those results make the question even more meaningless than it was before, because they show human participation in the process is critical to what we can say comes out of that process.
Yes it’s stripped of all meaning, but human participation is at most only required for representation. There is no representation without observed and observer, but to say that neither have any essence apart from representation is reasonless speculation. The only reason to reach that conclusion is if you’re a physicalist who can’t accept there is anything other than physical properties.

In trying to avoid the “Kantian divide” at all costs, you are effectively re-introducing physicalism.

Ashvin wrote: You are deep into the Flat MAL paradigm here, Simon (as opposed to Deep MAL; if you remember Cleric's essay I am sure you remember the pictures he used). You are imagining a bunch of 'things' existing in a big space, so one 'thing' can disappear or even an entire set of 'things' (like "humanity" or "all life") and the big space continues existing like it did before. It's actually closer to total materialism-dualism than Flat MAL idealism. There has always been 'something' existing and that something is us and other living beings. We are the 'big space' in our essence.
I don’t consider it flat at all, I’m trying to keep to the ‘closest’ layers of reality that are there for us to observe, rather than the more fundamental layers where my theistic and your panpsychic views are never going to resonate. There are big overlaps with your views and mine, as many of your ideas are what I would call gnostic that drew on neoplatonism, and for me the “deep” reality is something like the neoplatonic emanations coming from god and returning to him, or the Kabbalah. For example Pageau has a good intro here . It’s fundamentally your view of god as ‘not other’ than us which leaves a big uncrossable chasm between us. For example here is an article on Kabbalah that takes a Theosophic / Boheme perspective, so there is definitely overlap with your views, but because it’s not from the pantheistic perspective it resonates perfectly with me.
From the Christian perspective, there is verse after verse after verse speaking of our Unity in Christ. And that was taken seriously for a long time, even if it remained at a low resolution of detail. It was only after the dawn of modernity that it was completely reversed and now the divide in essence between God and man (or Flat MAL and 'alters' from secular view) makes more "common sense" to us. Most of these basic errors within Western idealism come from the failure to grasp the metamorphic process of Spirit. I quoted a bunch of medieval theologians who held to the essential Unity in Christ view in Transfiguring Our Thinking Part II essay and I am posting them again below.
For all of these, the unity in Christ is via the Eucharist. It’s not some default reality. Jesus says that he stands at the door knocking, not that he is just waiting for us to realise his presence. They are not restricting the experience of theosis to the sacramental act, but that is the summit of the process you are describing as the unity of Christ for all of them, as described in the gospels. Dionysius specifically says it is not through thinking and knowing that we experience god. He explains;
Dionysius the Areopagite wrote: …it scarcely ever happens that any Hierarchical initiation is celebrated without the most Divine Eucharist, at the head of the rites celebrated in each, Divinely accomplishing the collecting of the person initiated to the One, and completing his communion with God by the Divinely transmitted gift of the perfecting mysteries.
So all these quotes mean one thing to you and many philosophers post Descartes, but something quite different to myself, the catholic church, the orthodox church, the church fathers, the saints etc. Because you have our thoughts and gods thoughts as the same, theosis becomes a revealing rather than a joining, a knowing rather than a relationship.

In many ways yours seems like the flat view. I’m sure you will have an explanation for these, but the likes of Jacobs ladder, the angels “ascending and descending on the Son of Man”, are completely flattened in your view from my perspective.
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

SanteriSatama wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:19 am
I don't think you are an idiot, and who knows, perhaps you are crazy in a good way. I'm trying to learn from you, hence question marks. :)

I like to keep things as simple as possible, as words are mostly vague pointers. So being is the noun of “to be”, it’s that which makes something something. That which makes something particular. Drop a jug on the floor so it smashes, and the jug no longer has being. Knock a chip out the rim of the jug, it still has being. There is obviously a grey area in the middle, but I don’t see a problem with that. There is something to the unity of something where an aspect of it’s telos is simply “to be”, and that is it’s being. A bit more speculative, but I would also distinguish between absolute being, and relative being. The jug with a chip out of the rim has less true being than the jug without the chip. A human has ‘true’ being when all elements of their psyche are integrated in the ‘true’ human telos (love etc).

And by consistent, I’m just talking about continuity. The exact me may never step in the exact river twice, but there is still a continuity for both me and the river, independent of any particular observation. To me this continuity has an undeniable reality, despite the fact that every observation is unique, and nearly all continuity involves change.
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Simon Adams wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:13 pm
SanteriSatama wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:19 am

I like to keep things as simple as possible, as words are mostly vague pointers. So being is the noun of “to be”, it’s that which makes something something. That which makes something particular. Drop a jug on the floor so it smashes, and the jug no longer has being. Knock a chip out the rim of the jug, it still has being. There is obviously a grey area in the middle, but I don’t see a problem with that. There is something to the unity of something where an aspect of it’s telos is simply “to be”, and that is it’s being. A bit more speculative, but I would also distinguish between absolute being, and relative being. The jug with a chip out of the rim has less true being than the jug without the chip. A human has ‘true’ being when all elements of their psyche are integrated in the ‘true’ human telos (love etc).

And by consistent, I’m just talking about continuity. The exact me may never step in the exact river twice, but there is still a continuity for both me and the river, independent of any particular observation. To me this continuity has an undeniable reality, despite the fact that every observation is unique, and nearly all continuity involves change.
OK. Your jug example reminds me of Plato's inquiry into Theory of Forms. And Plato was also obsessed with perpetual idea/value of continuity. Have you read Plato's Sophist, which in common interpretation is the culmination of his inquiry of Theory of Forms, as well as synthesis of Heraclitus and Parmenides?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Simon Adams wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:21 am
AshvinP wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:13 am What are "archetypal ideas that shape [phenomenal world]" if not living beings? Are they blobs of 'mental stuff' floating around in spiritual dimension?
They are ideas in the divine intellect. They form the universe through being spoken. But you and I have VERY different ideas of the divine, as for me the logos goes into the space within god to create that which is not god. The universe is from god and within god but is not god;
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways My ways,”
declares the LORD.
9“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so My ways are higher than your ways
and My thoughts than your thoughts.
10For just as rain and snow fall from heaven
and do not return without watering the earth,
making it bud and sprout,
and providing seed to sow and food to eat,
11so My word that proceeds from My mouth
will not return to Me empty,
but it will accomplish what I please,
and it will prosper where I send it.
OK, well, you must at least admit that is dualism of the post-Cartesian sort i.e. a division in essence between God and not God. We have become so familiar with that way of thinking that we assume it is how everyone thought prior to the 15th century. It is only that assumption which allows us to treat "ideas of the Divine intellect" as non-living entities and something more akin to cold intellectual abstractions. Or to treat the Word of God, i.e. God's Breath and Speech, as actually identical to our intellectual concept of "word" rather than its living essence.
Simon wrote:
Ashvin wrote: I think you are forgetting the entire reason idealist philosophy is so important in the modern world - it's because the materialist thinks they are gaining insight into the true essence of Reality by learning the dynamics of abstractions in fields such as QM. But that is false! That is entirely a product of the Cartesian-Kantian divides in modernity, where it is simply assumed that are at least two separate realms and the realm of 'matter' is what discloses to us the essential working of the world we see, while the realm of 'mind' is limited to each individual being (and perhaps some transcendent God in another dimension).
By and large I agree with this. What the physicists detect is only ever going to be the surface phenomena, like trying to understand what Balti Chilli Masala tastes like from a photo.
Simon wrote:
Yes, these 20th century scientific developments can provide us with insights about Reality, but only if they are illuminated by the Spirit (Mind) from within. Otherwise, we are just studying the dynamics of exterior surfaces with no interiority. QM results do not provide any meaning to the question of what happens to two rocks colliding in the absence of any observation... if anything those results make the question even more meaningless than it was before, because they show human participation in the process is critical to what we can say comes out of that process.
Yes it’s stripped of all meaning, but human participation is at most only required for representation. There is no representation without observed and observer, but to say that neither have any essence apart from representation is reasonless speculation. The only reason to reach that conclusion is if you’re a physicalist who can’t accept there is anything other than physical properties.

In trying to avoid the “Kantian divide” at all costs, you are effectively re-introducing physicalism.
Again, it is only the Cartesian dualist divide which allows you to claim "representation" is nothing more than forming a mental image of the "external world" in your own personal bubble of consciousness. You have expunged participatory consciousness from the picture completely. And how you are managing to equate my position, which upholds participatory consciousness, with "physicalism" more than your own is beyond my comprehension. Just think about it for a moment - if there was "mental stuff" existing prior to the existence of all living beings then you must posit a dualism between non-life and life and some sort of mechanism which transforms non-life into life, just as the physicalists do.

Perhaps you posit that God is that mechanism as an 'external entity' who takes non-life and imbues it with life, but then that undermines your entire position because God is certainly a living being under any Western conception. Part of the problem here may be that you are speaking of only your limited ego i.e. your narrow representation of your small "s" self. But because your OP was about essential relations and we are on a forum about those metaphysical essential relations, I am speaking of what actually exists rather than what my limited ego-self is able to represent at any given moment. If we are only speaking of limited ego-self most people currently identify with, then yes of course that is not necessary for the essence of the Cosmos and, in fact, must die and be reborn in the Spirit of higher Self for us to remember our true position at the right hand of God.

Simon wrote:
Ashvin wrote: You are deep into the Flat MAL paradigm here, Simon (as opposed to Deep MAL; if you remember Cleric's essay I am sure you remember the pictures he used). You are imagining a bunch of 'things' existing in a big space, so one 'thing' can disappear or even an entire set of 'things' (like "humanity" or "all life") and the big space continues existing like it did before. It's actually closer to total materialism-dualism than Flat MAL idealism. There has always been 'something' existing and that something is us and other living beings. We are the 'big space' in our essence.
I don’t consider it flat at all, I’m trying to keep to the ‘closest’ layers of reality that are there for us to observe, rather than the more fundamental layers where my theistic and your panpsychic views are never going to resonate. There are big overlaps with your views and mine, as many of your ideas are what I would call gnostic that drew on neoplatonism, and for me the “deep” reality is something like the neoplatonic emanations coming from god and returning to him, or the Kabbalah. For example Pageau has a good intro here. It’s fundamentally your view of god as ‘not other’ than us which leaves a big uncrossable chasm between us. For example here is an article on Kabbalah that takes a Theosophic / Boheme perspective, so there is definitely overlap with your views, but because it’s not from the pantheistic perspective it resonates perfectly with me.
Ashvin wrote:From the Christian perspective, there is verse after verse after verse speaking of our Unity in Christ. And that was taken seriously for a long time, even if it remained at a low resolution of detail. It was only after the dawn of modernity that it was completely reversed and now the divide in essence between God and man (or Flat MAL and 'alters' from secular view) makes more "common sense" to us. Most of these basic errors within Western idealism come from the failure to grasp the metamorphic process of Spirit. I quoted a bunch of medieval theologians who held to the essential Unity in Christ view in Transfiguring Our Thinking Part II essay and I am posting them again below.
For all of these, the unity in Christ is via the Eucharist. It’s not some default reality. Jesus says that he stands at the door knocking, not that he is just waiting for us to realise his presence. They are not restricting the experience of theosis to the sacramental act, but that is the summit of the process you are describing as the unity of Christ for all of them, as described in the gospels. Dionysius specifically says it is not through thinking and knowing that we experience god. He explains;
Dionysius the Areopagite wrote: …it scarcely ever happens that any Hierarchical initiation is celebrated without the most Divine Eucharist, at the head of the rites celebrated in each, Divinely accomplishing the collecting of the person initiated to the One, and completing his communion with God by the Divinely transmitted gift of the perfecting mysteries.
So all these quotes mean one thing to you and many philosophers post Descartes, but something quite different to myself, the catholic church, the orthodox church, the church fathers, the saints etc. Because you have our thoughts and gods thoughts as the same, theosis becomes a revealing rather than a joining, a knowing rather than a relationship.

In many ways yours seems like the flat view. I’m sure you will have an explanation for these, but the likes of Jacobs ladder, the angels “ascending and descending on the Son of Man”, are completely flattened in your view from my perspective.
Once again, you are imagining human beings as the physicalists do - fixed entities who, at one time, do not have the Spirit and, at another time, get the Spirit into their personal bubble of consciousness. By what thought-action do they receive the Spirit in your view, I have no idea. But, regardless, humans are not static entities. We are living microcosmic processes unfolding in the overall process of the Macrocosm. Everything you referenced and quoted above is exactly in line with my view of the Universe consisting of only living archetypal beings and avoids the irresolvable hard dualism of non-life and life. I once again have no idea how you are referencing Kabbalah and Neoplatonism as support for your modern dualistic view of God and man. Maybe you can point out what specific parts of that article you are relying on.

And, the quote from "pseudo"-Dionysius you provided is referencing esoteric Christian tradition and the Unification of God and man through the "perfecting mysteries"! That is the tradition you are explicitly rejecting in your standard exoteric theistic conception. Another problem here is that you are downgrading "thinking" and "thought" like all moderns do. Pretty much all of the essays I have been writing lately have been to restore that high and noble understanding of Thinking as the ancient Greeks and Scholastics had. That is why you can claim "knowing" does not involve relationship when, in fact, truly knowing, especially in the Biblical sense, is the highest form of relationship one can imagine.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Jim Cross wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:20 pm Any physicist who thinks there is a mind at large isn't basing that belief on physics but on metaphysics or maybe religious belief. There is no scientific evidence of a mind at large.
If you don't accept e.g. psychadelic experiences, and quantitative-qualitative studies of those, as scientific evidence, you are speaking from dogmatic metahysical scientism, not genuine empirical science.
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

SanteriSatama wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:14 pm
OK. Your jug example reminds me of Plato's inquiry into Theory of Forms. And Plato was also obsessed with perpetual idea/value of continuity. Have you read Plato's Sophist, which in common interpretation is the culmination of his inquiry of Theory of Forms, as well as synthesis of Heraclitus and Parmenides?
Not in full but I know of it, and of his theory of forms. I still think it’s amazing that they had worked out back then that the phenomenal appearance was just an image, or “shadow”, of what is really there. We’ve finally developed QM and despite the early physicists realising that we were rediscovering their insight, many still don’t seem to get it.
St Augustine
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Simon Adams wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:20 pm I still think it’s amazing that they had worked out back then that the phenomenal appearance was just an image, or “shadow”, of what is really there. We’ve finally developed QM and despite the early physicists realising that we were rediscovering their insight, many still don’t seem to get it.
Yep. When I read Sophist the first time, it clicked major way. "Hey, this is the essence of quantum physics!" was my reaction.

But since then I've become also increasingly critical of standard mathematical formulations of QM, and the underlying foundational theory of mathematics. Through David Bohm, Bergson etc., baths in process philosophy, I have also a major dispute with Platonic eternalism. Not continuum/continua, but identification of those with eternalism also and especially in the idealist realm.
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:33 pm
OK, well, you must at least admit that is dualism of the post-Cartesian sort i.e. a division in essence between God and not God.
Yes exactly, god doesn’t see the need to avoid any dualism at all levels, and knows that he is not the same as his creation. Dualism between mind and matter is wrong, dualism between god and creation is true.

Some of the early church fathers called Isaiah “the fifth gospel” because is resonated with the gospels so well, even though it was written 700 years before then.

We have become so familiar with that way of thinking that we assume it is how everyone thought prior to the 15th century.
I don’t think we do? Pantheism has been around for ages, in eastern religions like Brahmanism, and in greek religions like Orphism, which fed into the early gnostic beliefs. It was the Judeo and then Christian scriptures (such as Isaiah) that had god as the ground of being, but also explicitly other from creation.
It is only that assumption which allows us to treat "ideas of the Divine intellect" as non-living entities and something more akin to cold intellectual abstractions. Or to treat the Word of God, i.e. God's Breath and Speech, as actually identical to our intellectual concept of "word" rather than its living essence.
I don’t really follow you here. God’s breath is what gives life, and his word is very much alive and the same as him. I don’t know how far you can get from “cold intellectual abstractions”! Maybe you are referring instead to “ideas in the divine intellect”? If so this is more about the intelligibility of the way the universe was created, and is. At one level they shape the universe. At another we can make sense of things as “universals” because they have a foundation in the the foundational ideas that shape the context of our existence. It’s these original ungraspable templates that we create shadow versions of to understand things**. This is why I say your view seems flat, because in it the shadows we create (as our thoughts and ideas) to resonate with the natural intelligibility of the universe are like the whole story to you, rather than a discovery or uncovering. The best scientists, mathematicians etc usually describe their new understandings as discoveries rather than creations for good reason. It’s our search to make the shadows that are our ideas closer to the true ideas through which all came to be.

** Of course there are many universals/forms/ideas that we have created ourselves that are truly inventions and not discoveries. However in this we imitate the way the aspects of nature were created. Most of these are trivial in metaphysical terms, say a television or a car, or a mathematical construct that has no correspondence to nature, although some can of course be harmful, such as communism or racism.
Ashvin wrote:
Again, it is only the Cartesian dualist divide which allows you to claim "representation" is nothing more than forming a mental image of the "external world" in your own personal bubble of consciousness. You have expunged participatory consciousness from the picture completely.
Of course I haven’t. When my mind interacts with a mental form through the senses, that interaction produces my experience of a physical form, of physical properties. This “external world” is purely representation, there is nothing more to it than the mental essences. But there is still my essence which has a form, and an essence of that which I am observing. Both of these have a degree of consistency for all observers, of continuity, but the participation is via a representation on the screen of perception. This is purely an interaction between two forms, a relationship, between “a personal bubble of consciousness” and a ‘mental process in M@L’.

When you say “Cartesian”, that usually refers to the way Descartes separated the ‘objective facts’ from subjective experience, where the latter gets written of as somehow an unhelpful and unreliable aspect of reality that can be ignored. I don’t see how you can claim that I am doing that. I am saying that the whole universe is ultimately ‘like mind’, and physical properties are purely surface representations when forms within ‘mind’ interact.

You could call it dual aspect monism I guess, or hylomorphism, but it was the default before Descartes and not after, so calling my ideas cartesian makes no sense at all.

And how you are managing to equate my position, which upholds participatory consciousness, with "physicalism" more than your own is beyond my comprehension. Just think about it for a moment - if there was "mental stuff" existing prior to the existence of all living beings then you must posit a dualism between non-life and life and some sort of mechanism which transforms non-life into life, just as the physicalists do.
Not at all. If the universe is like mind, then there is a way in which it is alive. Plato calls it the world soul, though I’m not sure if calling it a soul makes sense. It seems more like a very habitual organism, given a very particular telos at creation. In fact I do speculatively see the planets and stars as like kind of alters within M@L. Its certainly very fractal-like. Yes biological life has something unique compared to inanimate forms, and humans of course something even more unique. But god is the essence of life, so everything he creates has some degree of life.
Perhaps you posit that God is that mechanism as an 'external entity' who takes non-life and imbues it with life, but then that undermines your entire position because God is certainly a living being under any Western conception.
I think life is something far more fundamental, and god is far more than a being. In the western tradition he is usually referred to as Being, the root of all being, rather than a being. This is why the Trinity is so important, because from our perspective he can be immanent in a personal way, rather than as unknowable transcendent Being.
Part of the problem here may be that you are speaking of only your limited ego i.e. your narrow representation of your small "s" self. But because your OP was about essential relations and we are on a forum about those metaphysical essential relations, I am speaking of what actually exists rather than what my limited ego-self is able to represent at any given moment.
I certainly wouldn’t claim to be fully awakened in the eastern sense, and my brief glimpses of waking states were surely not full. However from when I did meditate more often, I think I experienced enough of the root of conscious experience to have some idea of the realms beyond my personal ego. This seems to be the realm you talk of as what “actually exists”, but I’m not sure I recognise what you see there any more than I do when you speak of god. From my minor experience of that ‘transcendence’, I wouldn’t actually use the word ‘empty’ as the buddhists tend to, but I think it’s a better description than thoughts or “essential relations”. In some ways it’s without any relations at all, it just is, beyond description. Of course some philosophers take the essence of the experience to try and describe reality from it, but to conceptualise “what actually is” based purely on the experience of transcendence seems like a strange thing to me. There is nothing you could ever write on paper to convey that experience to another person. So while it’s a life changing experience, one that changes you and how you see things, the key is understanding correctly where it fits in relation to your other epistemic sources of knowledge, the different ways of knowing.

Ashvin wrote:
Once again, you are imagining human beings as the physicalists do - fixed entities who, at one time, do not have the Spirit and, at another time, get the Spirit into their personal bubble of consciousness.
We are spirit! But our spirit is not innately entwined with gods spirit, other than in sustaining our being. That only happens through relationship, through turning your heart and mind to him;
John wrote: If you love Me, you will keepe My commandments. 16And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocatef to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you do know Him, for He abides with you and will be in you.
[…]

23Jesus replied, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. 24Whoever does not love Me does not keep My words. The word that you hear is not My own, but it is from the Father who sent Me.
All through scripture there are sheep and goats. To be a sheep is to enter a personal relationship, through prayer, through proper humility before him etc.
Matthew wrote: 21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me’
By what thought-action do they receive the Spirit in your view, I have no idea.
Through the eucharist, through prayer, through loving god, through trying to treat others as you would like to be treated, through silent contemplation, through being thankful, through ‘feeding the hungry’, ‘clothing the naked’, ‘comforting the stranger’ etc. It’s nothing new, the same as it’s always been.
But, regardless, humans are not static entities. We are living microcosmic processes unfolding in the overall process of the Macrocosm. Everything you referenced and quoted above is exactly in line with my view of the Universe consisting of only living archetypal beings and avoids the irresolvable hard dualism of non-life and life. I once again have no idea how you are referencing Kabbalah and Neoplatonism as support for your modern dualistic view of God and man. Maybe you can point out what specific parts of that article you are relying on.
I see the Kabbalah as like the tree in the garden of paradise that Pageau described in the video. And with neoplatonism there are obviously different versions, with the ‘pagan’ versions sometimes being more like pantheism. Nonetheless “the one” is usually seen as at least in some sense completely ‘other’ than the emanations, and certainly is in the christian flavours of it.
And, the quote from "pseudo"-Dionysius you provided is referencing esoteric Christian tradition and the Unification of God and man through the "perfecting mysteries"! That is the tradition you are explicitly rejecting in your standard exoteric theistic conception.
Of course it’s not. You don’t seem to have ever gone to a catholic mass? The “Divine Eucharist” / “the perfecting mysteries” are a core part of every sunday for over a billion catholics, and have been since the early church, just as they would have been for Dionysius.
Another problem here is that you are downgrading "thinking" and "thought" like all moderns do. Pretty much all of the essays I have been writing lately have been to restore that high and noble understanding of Thinking as the ancient Greeks and Scholastics had. That is why you can claim "knowing" does not involve relationship when, in fact, truly knowing, especially in the Biblical sense, is the highest form of relationship one can imagine.
I’m just saying that our thoughts are not the same as god’s thoughts. The scholastics were driven to try to “know the mind of god”. It was this yearning to uncover this higher, deeper truth that drove them. This is very different from ‘co-creating’ the thoughts of god.
St Augustine
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

SanteriSatama wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:50 pm
Yep. When I read Sophist the first time, it clicked major way. "Hey, this is the essence of quantum physics!" was my reaction.

But since then I've become also increasingly critical of standard mathematical formulations of QM, and the underlying foundational theory of mathematics. Through David Bohm, Bergson etc., baths in process philosophy, I have also a major dispute with Platonic eternalism. Not continuum/continua, but identification of those with eternalism also and especially in the idealist realm.
Yes I also have problems with Plato and time. His idea that we recognise universals because we experienced them before we were born is one example where he is just wrong in my opinion, even though the dialogues mean you never quite know what his opinion is on anything, or even what is Socrates view versus his own.

Still, even the greatest geniuses are wrong sometimes!
St Augustine