Phenomenal self vs. rational subjectivity -BK & alii

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
SanteriSatama

Phenomenal self vs. rational subjectivity -BK & alii

Post by SanteriSatama »

Post-postmodern philosopher and renowned critic of philosophical realism Hilary Lawson, author of the NYT Bestseller '‘Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind’ Annaka Harris, Iranian philosopher and the author of 'Intelligence and Spirit' Reza Negarestani, and computer scientist, researcher, and proponent of "metaphysical idealism" Bernardo Kastrup debate Consciousness and the World. Mary-Jane Rubenstein hosts.
The topic is a rephrase of the reddit topic.

https://iai.tv/video/consciousness-and- ... _auid=2020

Ben Iscatus

Re: Phenomenal self vs. rational subjectivity -BK & alii

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Regarding the video, I really enjoyed it. Reza Negarestani's idea of engineering an entirely new conceptual vocabulary because, he says, the old vocabulary has failed was just horrendous (ever more words and concepts). After Negarestani tried to put down BK, BK's rejoinder was simple and brilliant - how modern philosophers retreat into abstractions. RN looked completely put out at the end of the discussion, particularly as Annaka Harris was tending to BK's view of things. Definitely a BK win!
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

I enjoyed the contribution of the PoMo guy also very much. Holding the world contains also the possibility to drop it?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

There's another thread about this debate as well - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:15 pm There's another thread about this debate as well - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44
It's not the same video.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:22 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:15 pm There's another thread about this debate as well - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44
It's not the same video.
The first link on the other thread is the same video. I don't really care, just saying it might make sense to combine the two discussions.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"