How to refute Solipsism?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: How to refute Solipsism?

Post by AshvinP »

dachmidt wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:27 pm I definetely get your point, Eugene, thank you!

@AshvinP can you further elaborate on what exactly you mean by "Once the human soul is defined in that rigid (and inaccurate) way, it is easy see why that sum total can never be the only 'thing' which exists."

How would you define the "I" in your own words?
And why does it need those multiple perspectives (by our alters)?
I will be posting an essay today which discusses the "I" by way of ancient mythology (and some modern philosophy). It is our imagination which will grasp these things much better than our intellect. For now, I don't think it is helpful to think of it in terms of "needing" multiple perspectives. That is simply the way it is now. That being said, we are more enriched when we come to know something from many different perspectives and angles rather than just one.

re: "Once the human soul is defined in that rigid (and inaccurate) way, it is easy see why that sum total can never be the only 'thing' which exists." - for example, BK's MAL imagery will often appear in our mind as it does in this image below (a bunch of personal bubbles of consciousness existing next to each other within MAL):

While, under my view of the essential "I" at the Center, this image is much more helpful (both images sourced from Cleric's essay on going Beyond Flat M@L):

"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
ScottRoberts

Post by ScottRoberts »

If I were a solipsist, I would be very perplexed as to why I was creating pain.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:44 pm
dachmidt wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:27 pm I definetely get your point, Eugene, thank you!

@AshvinP can you further elaborate on what exactly you mean by "Once the human soul is defined in that rigid (and inaccurate) way, it is easy see why that sum total can never be the only 'thing' which exists."

How would you define the "I" in your own words?
And why does it need those multiple perspectives (by our alters)?
I will be posting an essay today which discusses the "I" by way of ancient mythology (and some modern philosophy). It is our imagination which will grasp these things much better than our intellect. For now, I don't think it is helpful to think of it in terms of "needing" multiple perspectives. That is simply the way it is now. That being said, we are more enriched when we come to know something from many different perspectives and angles rather than just one.

FYI this essay is posted now. I will post a section below which is relevant:

Krishna:
"I am the Sacrifice! I am the Prayer!
I am the Funeral-Cake set for the dead!
I am the healing herb! I am the ghee,
The Mantra, and the flame, and that which burns!
I am —of all this boundless Universe —
The Father, Mother, Ancestor, and Guard!
The end of Learning! That which purifies
In lustral water! I am OM! I am
Rig-Veda, Sama-Veda, Yajur-Ved;
The Way, the Fosterer, the Lord, the Judge,
The Witness; the Abode, the Refuge-House,
The Friend, the Fountain and the Sea of Life
Which sends, and swallows up; Treasure of Worlds
And Treasure-Chamber! Seed and Seed-Sower,
Whence endless harvests spring! Sun's heat is mine;
Heaven's rain is mine to grant or to withhold;
Death am I, and Immortal Life I am..."

The verses above will likely sound as pure divine egoism to the modern intellect. Many people may be surprised that such verses can be found in ancient Hindu spiritual tradition and question this English translation. That reaction actually serves a great purpose if it is harnessed properly - it is a dim reflection of the monumental soul-transformation Arjuna himself experienced in this revelation, as the concept of the essential "I" was emerging from the depths of the communal spiritual realm into the fragmented physical one. And if we remember that "Veda" means "Word" in Sanskrit, and the "I AM" is how Divinity revealed itself to Moses in the book of Exodus, we can begin connecting these images together to form a marker which will serve us well in our future mythic explorations. For now, we can simply observe how none of the above connections will be brought to life within us by way of rational intellect alone. They all call upon the intellect to go well beyond itself for their essential meaning, and it is our choice whether we respond to that call or not.

Well-educated scientists and philosophers of the modern age have the most difficult time responding to this call, because much of their career and self-identity is interwoven with a commitment to remain in the domain of intellect. It is no wonder, then, that Schopenhauer failed to find any redemptive Spirit in mythology; that he felt a good musical composition would provide infinitely more meaning to the human soul than all the content of the world's mythologies combined. For him, the latter simply occupied humanity intellectually while its collective soul withers and dies as assuredly as the tree returns to the ground from which it grows. I too would always prefer experience of music over contemplation of mythology if I failed to perceive how the intellect can overcome itself, but we are not forced to make this conceit of the human spirit. Schopenhauer's contemporaries in German idealist philosophy, Fichte and Hegel, made no such conceit.

They recognized that what we refer to as the "I" of the human soul - also referred to as the "Spirit" - cannot be derived from anything outside of itself. The whole phenomenal world comes into being by way of the "I" recognizing its own spiritual activity, and therefore it is that spiritual activity where we always find the noumenon and phenomenon united. Steiner broadly referred to that activity as "Thinking", which includes reason, imagination, inspiration, and intuition. None of these conclusions must be accepted on Kant's blind faith or by Schopenhauer's blind will, but can be discovered through our imaginative vocation and responsibility as human souls. We can work hard and smart from the phenomenology of physical and mythical imagery, as it presents in our experience, back to the creative Spirit who gives rise to those images within us. Then we can come to the 'frightening conclusion' with Goethe that, "I am the decisive element - it is my personal approach that creates the climate; it is my daily mood that makes the weather."

The ‘I’ posits itself, and it is by virtue of this mere positing of itself; and conversely: The ‘I’ is, and posits its existence, by virtue of its mere existence. It is at the same time the one acting and the product of its action; the active one and what is brought forth by the activity; action and deed are one and the same; and therefore the ‘I am’ is the expression of an active deed.

- Gottlieb Fichte, The Vocation of Man (1799)

The spirit of its gratitude is accordingly tinged with the most deep-seated feelings of abjectness and of indignation. The pure I, seeing itself outside of and dissevered from itself, here finds that all continuity and community with others, everything affirmed as law, as the good, as right, has gone to rack and ruin. All equality has dissolved; for everywhere rampant is the sheerest disparity, the utter insignificance of what’s absolutely vital, the heteronomy of autonomy itself. The pure I has itself come wholly undone...

Yet, as self, consciousness forthwith surmounts the contradiction—being so perfectly elastic that it in turn 'ifies' the self’s being thus 'ified', rejects the self’s being abjectly present to itself as something alien, and manages, while aghast at this way of “acquiring” a self, to be present to itself in the act of acquisition after all.

- Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Phenomenology of the Spirit (1807)
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

dachmidt wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:04 pm I totally agree that Solipsism is spiritual and psychological suicide. That is why I am looking for arguments against it.

But only the fact that it is a philosophy that is not suitable for life, doesn't make it untrue.
This is not exactly the kind of argument you are looking for but its a satisfying answer to me nonetheless.

I think it was in one of Francis Lucille's retreats, he answered to the effect that nobody actually lives as if solipsism is true. Even if you take it as your preferred best explanation of reality, you will find it next to impossible to actually embody and implement. It is counter-intuitive at the deepest level. To resolve the cognitive dissonance you must say: "I know I am the only being in reality, but I will pretend others are real to sustain the fantasy of non-solipsism." In other words, to live authentically as a solipsist means to act as if solipsism isn't real. Because to act as if solipsism is actually real would mean to be a non-empathic sociopath indifferent to love, compassion or ethical restraints of any kind. So even if you cannot logically disprove solipsism, you should be comfortable dismissing it experientially as implausible.
dachmidt

Post by dachmidt »

Lysander wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:17 am
dachmidt wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:04 pm I totally agree that Solipsism is spiritual and psychological suicide. That is why I am looking for arguments against it.

But only the fact that it is a philosophy that is not suitable for life, doesn't make it untrue.
This is not exactly the kind of argument you are looking for but its a satisfying answer to me nonetheless.

I think it was in one of Francis Lucille's retreats, he answered to the effect that nobody actually lives as if solipsism is true. Even if you take it as your preferred best explanation of reality, you will find it next to impossible to actually embody and implement. It is counter-intuitive at the deepest level. To resolve the cognitive dissonance you must say: "I know I am the only being in reality, but I will pretend others are real to sustain the fantasy of non-solipsism." In other words, to live authentically as a solipsist means to act as if solipsism isn't real. Because to act as if solipsism is actually real would mean to be a non-empathic sociopath indifferent to love, compassion or ethical restraints of any kind. So even if you cannot logically disprove solipsism, you should be comfortable dismissing it experientially as implausible.
Thanks for your response, I totally agree.

Thinking it through, it's not only experientially implausible (which is still probably the strongest argument against it) but also logically.

I came up with the following points:
1. Even If Solipsism were true, it doesn't change anything at all when it comes to the big questions like "why am I here?" and "what is live all about?". The only difference would be that instead of looking for God or a higher purpose, I would be God and the higher purpose myself, which sounds very narcisstic.
2. Why is it, that I am so dependent on others when it comes to increasing knowlede and wisdom? Why do I have to make up people who teach me what should already be mine? It's more likely, that knowledge and wisdom is a challenge for us humans as a collective.
3. Why is it that the "outer world" is completely out of my control? Why does it sometimes overwhelm me? And if I change stages of my consciousness/psyche/desires/wishes, why does the world not unfold itself according to those new patterns? Again, it is much more reasonable that the world unfolds itself according to a collective consciousness, where I am only a part of.
4. Why is it that relational feelings and interactions like love, empathy or sexuality seem so natural, whereas I would never have come to the Idea of Solipsism myself, if I haven't read about it? It indicates that Solipsism is nothing more than a mind game, while relationships are an inevitable part of our intuitive self.
5. Why is there even a world of forms and languages, a world of perception, when there is no one to interact with? It's very hard to make any sense of the whole story of life and humans within Solipsism, so why even come up with it in first place?
6. The very fact, that I have much more questions than I have answers when it comes to anything important in life, shows, that I would have to be a clueless genius. It's completely contradictory.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

dachmidt wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:19 pm 6. The very fact, that I have much more questions than I have answers when it comes to anything important in life, shows, that I would have to be a clueless genius. It's completely contradictory.
Ha-ha, exactly: "clueless genius" :lol:
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Sophie268

Post by Sophie268 »

dachmidt wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:19 pm
Lysander wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:17 am

Thanks for your response, I totally agree.

Thinking it through, it's not only experientially implausible (which is still probably the strongest argument against it) but also logically.

I came up with the following points:
1. Even If Solipsism were true, it doesn't change anything at all when it comes to the big questions like "why am I here?" and "what is live all about?". The only difference would be that instead of looking for God or a higher purpose, I would be God and the higher purpose myself, which sounds very narcisstic.
2. Why is it, that I am so dependent on others when it comes to increasing knowlede and wisdom? Why do I have to make up people who teach me what should already be mine? It's more likely, that knowledge and wisdom is a challenge for us humans as a collective.
3. Why is it that the "outer world" is completely out of my control? Why does it sometimes overwhelm me? And if I change stages of my consciousness/psyche/desires/wishes, why does the world not unfold itself according to those new patterns? Again, it is much more reasonable that the world unfolds itself according to a collective consciousness, where I am only a part of.
4. Why is it that relational feelings and interactions like love, empathy or sexuality seem so natural, whereas I would never have come to the Idea of Solipsism myself, if I haven't read about it? It indicates that Solipsism is nothing more than a mind game, while relationships are an inevitable part of our intuitive self.
5. Why is there even a world of forms and languages, a world of perception, when there is no one to interact with? It's very hard to make any sense of the whole story of life and humans within Solipsism, so why even come up with it in first place?
6. The very fact, that I have much more questions than I have answers when it comes to anything important in life, shows, that I would have to be a clueless genius. It's completely contradictory.
I would say that with point number 4, this wasn't necessarily the case for me. Without having read about Solipsism, it came about "naturally" for me during times of extreme and rather constant synchronicities, while in the midst of spiritual breakthroughs (or shall I say breakdowns :lol: ). The feeling that the external world was swirling around me, and me alone, came about through these "breaks" in what seemed previously plausible to me, ie my previously held beliefs of materialism. I would say that it wasn't exactly true Solipsism, but more along the lines that God and I were the only ones in existence and that the world, and those in it, were only there to bring me to new places of understanding. I did not enjoy this feeling, as even with that feeling of God present, it still felt incredibly lonely, terrifying, and yes, narcissistic. The feeling was there all the same, but it was through thinking about some of the other points you've listed that I was able to combat this feeling and ease myself away from the cliff. I am wondering if this solipsism feeling is part of the process when those walls of previously strongly held belief on the nature of reality start to crumble. I will say that these experiences were the reason I went searching for answers and found this forum, for which I am very grateful.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Sophie268 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:57 pm
I would say that with point number 4, this wasn't necessarily the case for me. Without having read about Solipsism, it came about "naturally" for me during times of extreme and rather constant synchronicities, while in the midst of spiritual breakthroughs (or shall I say breakdowns :lol: ). The feeling that the external world was swirling around me, and me alone, came about through these "breaks" in what seemed previously plausible to me, ie my previously held beliefs of materialism. I would say that it wasn't exactly true Solipsism, but more along the lines that God and I were the only ones in existence and that the world, and those in it, were only there to bring me to new places of understanding. I did not enjoy this feeling, as even with that feeling of God present, it still felt incredibly lonely, terrifying, and yes, narcissistic. The feeling was there all the same, but it was through thinking about some of the other points you've listed that I was able to combat this feeling and ease myself away from the cliff. I am wondering if this solipsism feeling is part of the process when those walls of previously strongly held belief on the nature of reality start to crumble. I will say that these experiences were the reason I went searching for answers and found this forum, for which I am very grateful.
I actually had very similar experience in my youth (at that time I was a materialist raised in a communist country). It happened after I read the works of Hume and Berkley, and at some moment I had a powerful experience of mind-shift and break-through/down when I actually experienced the world form the solipsist perspective. It was rather terrifying, but I remember it very well. It did not stay for long and waned away, but the result was a fall-apart of my materialistic belief system. I clearly realized that materialism, or any other philosophical paradigm or worldview for that matter, is simply a system of unverifiable beliefs. The bottom-line is: solipsism, being an unsustainable as a philosophical position for practical life, nevertheless can be a powerful "philosophical weapon" for breaking through our unconscious belief systems.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Hedge90

Post by Hedge90 »

I had similar feelings during my last shroom trip, but it wasn't a bad thing, just a change of perspective. One part of my trip saw me fall back into the deepest abyss of my mind, with the outside world and any kind of dynamic experience ceasing. There was nothing and I was nothing, but an empty awareness, and through that awareness I "saw" myself, and thereby was able to infer that "I" am not that person, "I" am the awareness. There was no time there and I thought it possible that I'll be in that nothing forever, but I wasn't scared, because any feelings I had stayed with the ego. I was totally neutral about the whole situation.
And I think, that "I" is MAL. And indeed, that's the only consciousness in existence. We each share it. But it is not lonely, because loneliness is a feeling humans developed as a result of that it was very dangerous in our evolution to be separated from the pack / tribe. MAL cannot be lonely because nothing threatens it. The feeling of the need for companionship stems from our separation from being One. If you felt a negative emotion in that state, like fear or loneliness, I'd say that were the flickers of your ego.
So, in conclusion, there's one consciousness, but everything that makes you a person stems from the self-referential loop of experiences that is entirely yours. It doesn't matter that it is the same consciousness that experiences all the other alters and the universe itself - in fact, it couldn't be any other way. Consciousness is a (or rather, THE) fundamental ontological element of reality; having more than one would be like having more than one gravity or more than one space or more than one time.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:52 pm
I actually had very similar experience in my youth (at that time I was a materialist raised in a communist country). It happened after I read the works of Hume and Berkley, and at some moment I had a powerful experience of mind-shift and break-through/down when I actually experienced the world form the solipsist perspective. It was rather terrifying, but I remember it very well. It did not stay for long and waned away, but the result was a fall-apart of my materialistic belief system. I clearly realized that materialism, or any other philosophical paradigm or worldview for that matter, is simply a system of unverifiable beliefs. The bottom-line is: solipsism, being an unsustainable as a philosophical position for practical life, nevertheless can be a powerful "philosophical weapon" for breaking through our unconscious belief systems.

This is what I referred to as "methodological solipsism" on another thread. It is, in the last few epochs of spiritual evolution, the only path to true knowledge, which, in turn, is the only path to spiritual freedom and a genuine moral imagination and ethical order. We see this orientation develop clearly in the evolution of world mythology, as the human soul is increasingly isolated from the spiritual realm and thrown back upon itself for knowledge of the world. Passive image-consciousness revealed 'externally' is increasingly replaced by active inner thought within the soul. As expressed in my recent essay on the Gita mythology:

Ashvin wrote:The Western soul will only perform its spiritual duty as Arjuna performed his when it travels through, in the most literal sense, his experiences of utter anxiety, fear, loneliness, and despair; when the soul feels stranded on a desert island with no rescue ships in sight; when it doubts absolutely everything about itself and its place in the vast expanse of the Cosmos. That is when Wisdom, the eternal charioteer of the human soul, gives birth to an impulse that raises us up from the abyss into which we have been gazing. Then we will beg our Father for this cup to pass, and we will begin to understand that our soul's existence is not dependent on the transient world around us. We remember that our soul's life rays forth from higher spiritual realms which have not passed, do not pass, and will never pass

It is through that "dark night of the soul" that we actively derive for ourselves what was passively revealed to our ancient spiritual ancestors. The transition is most clearly seen in the mythology-philosophy-theology, with the help of Imaginative thinking, in the fourth Greco-Roman epoch, which I will post on soon. Modern man frequently confuses emancipation by way of deep Self-knowledge for "selfishness" or "narcissism". As with many perspectives on spiritual issues in the modern age, it is actually the opposite - it is only through that Self-knowledge that we find a firm and lasting foundation for our ethical relationships with others. That is how macrocosmic Nature finds its free ethical expression in the microcosmic human soul who redeems it.

Steiner wrote:The Philistine who looks upon the state as embodied morality is sure to look upon the free spirit as a danger to the state. But that is only because his view is narrowly focused on a limited period of time. If he were able to look beyond, he would soon find that it is but on rare occasions that the free spirit needs to go beyond the laws of his state, and that it never needs to confront them with any real contradiction. For the laws of the state, one and all, have had their origin in the intuitions of free spirits, just like all other objective laws of morality. The conventional laws of morality are first of all established by particular men, and the laws of the state are always born in the brain of a statesman. These free spirits have set up laws over the rest of mankind, and only he is unfree who forgets this origin and makes them either divine commands, or objective moral duties, or the authoritative voice of his own conscience.

He, on the other hand, who does not forget the origin of laws, but looks for it in man, will respect them as belonging to the same world of ideas which is the source also of his own moral intuitions.

Man does not exist in order to found a moral order of the world. Anyone who maintains that he does, stands in his theory of man still at that same point, at which natural science stood when it believed that a bull has horns in order that it may butt. Scientists, happily, have cast the concept of objective purposes in nature into the limbo of dead theories. For Ethics, it is more difficult to achieve the same emancipation. But just as horns do not exist for the sake of butting, but butting because of horns, so man does not exist for the sake of morality, but morality exists through man. The free man acts because he has a moral idea, he does not act in order to be moral. Human individuals are the presupposition of a moral world order.
Last edited by AshvinP on Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.