Metaphysics - Idealism without woo-woo

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Metaphysics - Idealism without woo-woo

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:49 am Take for example computer AI as an analogy. There is an algorithmic activity and there is also a memory, and there can even be meta-cognition in AI (nowadays meta-cognitive AIs are being developed by some researchers). Yet all of it does not result in the existence of any "subject" of activity or continuity in AI. There is no "self" or "I" to AI.
What are these "meta-cognitive" AIs you reference? Can you provide a link or additional explanation.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Please forgive my view from the edge and ignorance of the technicalities but I'm genuinely curious about why one might want "Idealism without woo-woo"? Is it like wanting Science without Religion or wanting Everything without Something? Please help me understand.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Mandibil

Post by Mandibil »

As I say in my presentation --- it can very quickly get very complicated :-)
“Study hard what interests you the most
in the most undisciplined, irreverent and
original manner possible.”
― Richard Feynmann
Mandibil

Post by Mandibil »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:40 am Please forgive my view from the edge and ignorance of the technicalities but I'm genuinely curious about why one might want "Idealism without woo-woo"? Is it like wanting Science without Religion or wanting Everything without Something? Please help me understand.
With "woo-woo" I basically refer to any attempt at "explaining" what "the things in themselves" are. Be that some kind of transcendental access, a "mind at large" and everything else. My first axiom of metaphysics, experience is all I can base anything on, leaves no room for access to what I cannot experience :-)
― Richard Feynmann
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Mandibil wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:47 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:40 am Please forgive my view from the edge and ignorance of the technicalities but I'm genuinely curious about why one might want "Idealism without woo-woo"? Is it like wanting Science without Religion or wanting Everything without Something? Please help me understand.
With "woo-woo" I basically refer to any attempt at "explaining" what "the things in themselves" are. Be that some kind of transcendental access, a "mind at large" and everything else. My first axiom of metaphysics, experience is all I can base anything on, leaves no room for access to what I cannot experience :-)

Do you have a second axiom that says, "I can experience everything" ?
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

There are experiential modalities that give access to a state of That which one is in essence, if ready to deal with experiencing the utter disappearance of the subject><object-based maya-you ... at least until the ontological imperative inevitably kicks back in.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:09 pm There are experiential modalities that give access to a state of That which one is in essence, if ready to deal with experiencing the utter disappearance of the subject><object-based maya-you ... at least until the ontological imperative inevitably kicks back in.
Seems that the OP kicks back in with the survival habit that attempts to communicate verbally or to find meaning in or to explain the experience.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Maybe, "I can experience everything" is the only axiom that is needed.
Mandibil

Post by Mandibil »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:41 pm
Mandibil wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:47 pm

Do you have a second axiom that says, "I can experience everything" ?
In metaphysics I would not refer to "things" ... check out the last few minutes of the video in the OP. There are the axioms.
― Richard Feynmann
Mandibil

Post by Mandibil »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:21 pm Maybe, "I can experience everything" is the only axiom that is needed.
You need more to get to epistemology ;-)
― Richard Feynmann