Metaphysics - Idealism without woo-woo

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Metaphysics - Idealism without woo-woo

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:42 pm
AshvinP wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:28 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:23 pm

For me -- I emphasize I'm speaking personally -- isness is neither precept or concept. If it is for some a "blooming buzzing confusion" I must accept that for them but not for me. I simply do not fancy that to be. However, I agree that, "Claiming agnosticism towards belief is itself a belief." Compared with faith, it's rather weak. The nice thing about genuine agnosticism is that it holds open the door to faith. To each in her/his time.
So how does being (isness) reveal itself to you without any perception or conception?
Ooops. I read 'precept' and not 'percept' -- my error. However, assigning those words to my experience seems as a separation -- like talking about it. Yeah, I grok that's what philosophy does, it talks about it. :)
Well I erroneously converted your precept back into my percept so no problem :lol:

My general point is that they cannot be separated in experience. Distinguished but not divided. A concept can be thought of as incipient belief, as it connects percepts in a regularized manner. Therefore I do not see the possibility, certainly not the likelihood, of belief-less faith.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

My general point is that they cannot be separated in experience. Distinguished but not divided. A concept can be thought of as incipient belief, as it connects percepts in a regularized manner. Therefore I do not see the possibility, certainly not the likelihood, of belief-less faith.
Yikes. You've turned my 'experienced-based' into 'beliefless'. In the mix of a complex and nuanced world, I heavily prioritize direct experience for faith and hold a sciencelike (trial and error) posture toward belief, which I consider as more a hypothesis or theory, some of which work out rather well.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:48 pm
Yikes. You've turned my 'experienced-based' into 'beliefless'. In the mix of a complex and nuanced world, I heavily prioritize direct experience for faith and hold a sciencelike (trial and error) posture toward belief, which I consider as more a hypothesis or theory, some of which work out rather well.
You stated that your faith is not "belief-based", which seemed close enough to "belief-less" to me. Regardless, you must hold a belief or two before you trust that the scientific method (trial and error) can reveal accurate or effective beliefs, such as the belief that we live in a somewhat ordered and predictable world so that you can extrapolate past results into the future without being dead wrong.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

OK, let's parse words. My faith is not beliefless. It's doubtless as in, "I have faith that the sun will soon set in Hawaii."
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Eugene, I think I understand your dilemma.

As long as we experience the thoughts as floating leaves, blown by the currents of our inner life, I can perfectly resonate with your suspicion if these thoughts can ever tell something about reality.
Eugene I wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:30 pm This is not to limit the unlimited realm of thinking and imagination, but just to say that when thinking starts making beliefs about the nature of reality itself, it's better to ground such beliefs and check their validity against the direct experience.
That's what we are trying to do. I perfectly agree that when thinking begins to build upon itself, it is already losing the soil under its feet. Thinking attaches concepts to perceptions. If I see two colors, red and green, I can attach the appropriate concepts to them - the words themselves do not matter, they are only handles, so that we can experience the concepts in pure verbal thought (word) even in absence of the visual perceptions themselves. I assume you would agree that in this elementary act of cognition we can't speak of thinking overstepping any boundaries?

We can't hope to penetrate into the intimate nature of thinking if we are unable to distinguish thinking from language or in other words concept from thought-perception. Probably the easiest way to make this distinction is by thinking about a concept in different languages. Let's take the word "red" - rojo (Spanish), rouge (French), rot (German), okubomvu (Zulu). We can turn this into a meditative exercise. We can pronounce in our mind these words and observe the meaning, the concept that we experience. We can only claim to make the distinction between the concept and the word (the thought-perception), if nothing changes in the meaning that we experience while switching the words. The words should be carrying the same concept, the same meaning. This may look like a childish exercise but it is tremendously effective. We can never advance in our comprehension of thinking if we can't clearly distinguish concept from percept.

The next step is to observe that the original concept of red was discovered by us (probably in childhood) by experiencing it in relation to the visual perception of red. Only when we have experienced the concept, we can incarnate it in different words, symbols, etc. Then we can say that we have abstracted out the concept. We can now think about the concept of red even in absence of the actual color perception.

What I tried to show in the previous post was that the word "I" emerges in the very same way - thinking attaches a word to direct experience. We must be perfectly clear that the "I", as far as it is something that we think about, is a concept. But this concept originally emerges in relation to a real experience, just as the concept of red emerges in relation to the color experience. Then, just as the word "red" is only a though-perception of the concept, so is the word "I". We can doubt the usage of the word "I" only when we lose sight of the experience which motivated the use of the word in the first place.

For example, when I say "red" I'm thinking about the living, direct experience but someone else might be experiencing the idea of photons with certain frequency. Exactly as your example with the particles, now we are straying into uncertain waters. There are so many layers of abstraction between the concept of photon and the experience of red, that we simply have no justification to speak of any "reality". It is the same with the pronoun "I". In the moment we begin to presuppose different things, like neurons, "I" as some metaphysical thing in itself, we are really entering speculation. We can speak of reality only when thinking connects concepts to actual, direct experiences.

In this sense, it is perfectly possible to trace the direct experience to which thinking attaches the word "I". Then, as long as any mention of "I" summons the actual experience, and not some abstract idea, we are on firm ground. For example, if I know only black and white, and someone speaks to me about red, this is only a floating concept for me. I have nothing to connect it to. I'll feel similarly if I understand the pronoun "I" as something floating, that has no corresponding experience - which, it looks to me, is your concern.

But the experience is there - for anyone who wants to point his attention to it. And this is the key moment - this something belongs to the most intimate area of experience. No foreign being can trespass there. These things can only be observed in complete freedom. And we shouldn't think that people don't have their reasons to avoid such observations.

Let's see how this observation can be made with another simple exercise. We can form a thought, for example - a fiery ball. It's not about visualization, it's not needed to have any inner imagery. The most important thing is to have the clear concept, the understanding that we're holding a fireball in our focus, even if we don't see anything visually. And that's all. We simply concentrate our activity on this single thought for as long as possible. We are doing it willfully - that is, we do not dissociate from the thought and say "this fiery ball is there on its own, there's no one imagining it". On the contrary, we aim to experience as clearly as possible how we, through our own effort, make the ball shine. To make the exercise even more intense, we can try to make the ball brighter and brighter, as if by willing more and more strongly.

Note that, even though we speak above as "we will", there's absolutely no need to form any picture of an "I" whatsoever. It is a pure experience, there's only one thought - the fiery ball, we don't think about ourselves, we think the fireball.

Gradually we can distinguish, even without thinking about it, the experience of the will and the experience of the thought-perception. We experience how we are willing the thought. These are two things. It's not something that we fantasize, they are clearly distinguishable qualities of the experience.

Let's now meta-observe what we are doing. If expressed as a thought it can sound as "I think the fireball". And here's the most crucial observation that we can make. Only in the above way it is possible to experience the meaning "I think the fireball" and at the same time keep willing the firewall . It is very important that one gets a living experience of this. If we are able to experience it the right way, we can feel that our meta meaning in no way interferes with the willing experience of the fireball. It only adds denser meaning to it. In a similar way, when I observe red color and think "red", this in no way diminishes or deviates me from the perceptual experience - it only makes it meaningful, without degrading it in anyway.

Contrast this with a meta-meaning like "the fireball thinks itself" or "the Great Mysteriousness thinks the fireball". If we are really able to experience in meditative calmness this, we'll feel the unmistakable perception of "switching places". The experience changes! When we try to see the experience in this way, we are no longer able to feel as if we're willing the fireball thought. We have quickly become dissociated from the experience. The fireball now seems external to us. Now we will the thought "the Great Mysteriousness thinks the fireball" but this is rarely consciously registered. This switch of places is very sneaky and we have to be very vigilant if we are not to be fooled by ourselves. In somewhat humorous way, we can compare this to the following: a child plays with a toy that it is not supposed to. Then someone enters the room, the child drops the toy and exclaims "the toy was playing with itself!"

This exercise can be further extended by replacing the word "I" with its corresponding in different languages: Ich, je, yo, and so on. In this way we can further purify the concept of "I" from its verbal vessel. In all cases we should feel the "I think the fireball" as somethin transparent. It should in no way modify the experience of the self-willed fireball thought. This could be used as a test if we really experience the concept of "I" in the correct way. If we feel that by saying "I think" we're presupposing something in the word "I", this simply means that we avoid to take the concept of "I" from the experience itself and instead we're putting something abstract, that we have ourselves created. In this elementary exercise, nothing is presupposed, postulated, axiomatized, in the word "I". We don't know what "I" is. But it signifies a direct experience.

We can do another exercise. We can name the objects in front of us - display, keyboard, desk - and then we suddenly add the word "I". If "I" is clear of any preconceived notions, we feel unmistakable reversal of attention. While we were naming the objects, our attention is directed towards their perceptions. In the moment we say "I", attention is reversed and instantly we become conscious of our willful activity. In this way we can see that the concept of "I" truly corresponds to a real experience.

The reasons that such elementary observations are avoided, actually go very deep. Way deeper than the surface of consciousness. We should be under no illusion about this. One of the greatest secrets of evolution is concealed in the fierce avoidance of these simple observations.

It is very interesting to contrast this experience with the Buddhist-type meditation. Before posting my previous post I did quite some time of it (haven't done it for a long time). One can learn a lot if alternates between the two. For example, when we reach a tranquil state, we experience the contents of our consciousness, gently sparkling, moving as if on their own - there's no doer. Then if we summon the thought, we feel how our will gathers from all corners of our consciousness and focuses on the thought. We find out that the will is always there but it is somehow spread out and merged quietly in the background. Or in other words - we are merged with the background. Note that the will experience is direct experience. It is not an illusion. No experience is an illusion. The idea that something is an illusion can only come when we think that it is an illusion. There's no such direct experience that in itself says "by the way, I'm not real". We can come to such conclusions only consequently, through thinking. We gain nothing if we declare something to be an illusion, if we can't explain its existence in any other way.

Meditation where will and thought are experienced clearly, lead to very different results compared to that of putting the will to sleep. I'm planning to write something about the nature of these results, some of the following days.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

I'm thinking since infinite Mind goes through all this time and struggle to dream up becoming a finite someOne getting lost in a labyrinth of abstractions then who am 'I' to preclude it :?:
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

There's no such direct experience that in itself says "by the way, I'm not real". We can come to such conclusions only consequently, through thinking.
Of course there is. The direct experiential percept of "I'm not real" is it not being there. One learns what is not the same way one learns what is.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:45 pm
There's no such direct experience that in itself says "by the way, I'm not real". We can come to such conclusions only consequently, through thinking.
Of course there is. The direct experiential percept of "I'm not real" is it not being there. One learns what is not the same way one learns what is.
Have you ever seen someone, perhaps yourself, get so excited about something they perceive outside that they run smack into a glass screen door? That's a painfully learned case of confusing perceptions that are transparent to us with those which are "not real". To push Cleric's fireball example a little further, try putting additional "I think" in front of "I think the fireball". No matter how many "I think" we add to the front, the thought-experience does not change into a qualitatively different thought-experience. Because the "I" is transparent to us, yet it is still very real.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Lou Gold wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:45 pm Of course there is. The direct experiential percept of "I'm not real" is it not being there. One learns what is not the same way one learns what is.
Lou, I think that it has been discussed here many times already and I don't think there are many people here who consider the incarnate self-image as the "ultimate reality".
The fact that you have transcended your incarnate self and experienced yourself from a higher standpoint, does not show that your ordinary self is an illusion, it only shows that it exists embedded within a higher perspective.

It strikes how abused these notions of illusion and non-real have become nowadays. Materialists of course are among their greatest admirers. I would accept the illusion in the following sense: Here's a wall, it's an illusion, you can walk right through it. I try and it turns out to be true. Then this is real, useful knowledge. But to insist that a wall is an illusion, while keep breaking my head in it, only shows that I should really reconsider things.

Now I'll be opposed by "But that's exactly the case! When we realize the illusion of the ego we become free of its illusionary obstacles - greed, fear, thirst for power, etc.". But here one must simply have clear consciousness of things. We free ourselves from these obstacles not because they have been fake walls all along but because we have found a higher ideal that inspired us and gave us the moral force to overcome them. I don't need to believe my shortcomings are illusions in order to work on rectifying them. Not only that these obstacles are pretty real but they can also come back at any time, no matter how fervently we believe that they are just figments of imagination. This also does not explain why, while we've overcome some flaws, keep struggling with others, even if we're pretty convinced they aren't real. Tell an addict that his habit is only an illusion and see if he can simply walk through it.

Here we must come clean with ourselves. We overcome the weaknesses and flaws of character not because they were fake but because we have found a source of inspiration to do so. Just as healthy happy life can become a source of inspiration for an addict to overcome his habit. Even after he quits, the habit is still there, hidden and pretty real, and can perform its surprise attack anytime.

So let's be more reasonable with "it's just an illusion, it's mere dream, I'm not real" statements.

If "you were not there", there would also be no way you can remember having the higher experience. How can you remember something happening to you if you were not there? Clearly, there's some very tight relation between the ordinary state and the higher. It is exactly this relation that should be investigated, how it can be bridged, such that the higher can more and more express itself through the lower. The lower becomes an instrument of the higher.

And here lies the criticality of our times. How to find the proper relation between the lower and the higher?

So far the dominant opinion is that one simply merges with the ocean. The small "I" dissolves back into the dream.

But this is not the only path. Can we consider that the higher Mind finds its limited reflection within the intellect and becomes lost between the dual mirror of the head? Thought life between the mirrors is not an illusion - it simply has not yet found its relation to the higher life. Thus the Higher mind, lost and experiencing itself as lower mind, like the prodigal son, wanders around. Then, one day he decides that he had enough and wants to put an end of this. He then starts repeating "this isn't real, this isn't real..." and... falls asleep. Then the Higher Mind says "What are you doing?! You were supposed to make the paths straight! You were supposed to awaken in me, not to fall asleep and dream of me!"

These are the questions at the gates of every soul.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:10 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:45 pm
Have you ever seen someone, perhaps yourself, get so excited about something they perceive outside that they run smack into a glass screen door? That's a painfully learned case of confusing perceptions that are transparent to us with those which are "not real". To push Cleric's fireball example a little further, try putting additional "I think" in front of "I think the fireball". No matter how many "I think" we add to the front, the thought-experience does not change into a qualitatively different thought-experience. Because the "I" is transparent to us, yet it is still very real.
Location, location, location. When I perceive it 'not there' it means 'not where I'm placing my attention'. If the search is important to me, I then look somewhere else until I find (or not), the arbiter in process always being experience. That concept separates is easily established in meditation. If you want to calm a difficult thought, start naming it -- this is fear, this is what fear is like, I am experiencing fear, etc, The concept (naming) reduces the identification by separating from it. Getting excited about something distracts because it over-identifies. This is why 'counting sheep' can help you fall asleep. It reduces the identification with the thought 'I can't sleep' or other distractions. When the distractions are distanced from, you begin to feel the body's tiredness and fall asleep.