Essay: Retracing Spiritual Activity (Part V)

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
User avatar
Cleric K
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:40 pm

Re: Essay: Retracing Spiritual Activity (Part V)

Post by Cleric K »

lorenzop wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:59 am By assigning a name 'Earthly existence' to (whatever you're talking about), you are necessarily giving (whatever you're talking about) a boundary - - as compared to Venusly existence, Saturnly existence or anything that is not Earthly existence - - - this is what it means to give a thing a boundary.
If a thing has an identity or specific essence - if there is something that is not it - it has a boundary.
Re bubbles and walls - I'm not following the metaphor as it relates to what I wrote..
Here, I'll try to make this as simple as possible:

Image

This is Bernardo's image so you can't accuse me of inventing stuff. Here we have pointed many times that such a depiction could be misleading because it is too grounded in spatiality (thus naturally leading to the Flat MAL conception), but for our purposes it will suffice.

Let's imagine that Alter n meditates and achieves the so-called Unbounded state. From its inner perspective everything dissolves, there's no self and other, there are no objects of consciousness, there is no up and down, left and right, in and out, there are no boundaries. However, from a broader perspective we can depict this in the following way:

Image

In other words, Alter n's consciousness has simply become blurry, diffused. The 'unboundedness' of this state is simply a synonym for diffuseness and blur. It's not that the boundaries of the alter are actually unbound and consciousness has expanded into the Cosmic, but simply that the small sphere becomes indeterminate, fuzzy. From within Alter n's experience there's no longer any consciousness of otherness, of boundaries, etc. but this is not because the boundaries have been broken through, but only because the whole experience has become blurry. The rest of Cosmic Consciousness is still there, however, it is not sensed within the blurry sphere: out of sight, out of mind.

Now if you still say that you don't understand what we are talking about, I'll have to conclude that you are simply trolling and you are having fun here, testing the nerves of others.

Do you now understand why your 'unboundedness' is simply a synonym for blurriness, while the smeared-out boundary of the alter is still there (thus you are still a fuzzily bounded alter)? Do you understand that there's another , much more literal, kind of unboundedness, which refers to consciousness actually piercing through the veil and expanding from the alter's sphere into the Cosmic and having inner experiences of the inner Cosmic shared processes (they are inner from the perspective of Cosmic consciousness, just like your thinking process is from the perspective of your bounded alter)?
lorenzop
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Essay: Retracing Spiritual Activity (Part V)

Post by lorenzop »

OK I see what you are getting at with 'blurry' - it's a weird word to use here but I get now what is being referred to.
I also don't use the word 'Alter' (BK's word) . . . I prefer 'finite mind' to differentiate is from MAL (another term from BK I don't use).
So, we can use the expression 'Cosmic Consciousness expresses itself as multiple finite minds'. As you stated above, this expression is also likely untrue - but we can continue . . . however, Cosmic Consciousness does not become finite when expressed as finite mind.
A common metaphor used here is the unboundedness of the ocean is not lost, not diminished by waves on it's surface.
When a finite mind 'achieves samadhi' - as in meditation - the finite mind becomes unbounded Cosmic Consciousness (I wouldn't suggest blurry).
When eyes are open - thoughts, feelings, perceptions and sensations resume, the finite mind is 'restored'.
With practice of samadhi, alternating with daily activity, the mind is continually purified and clarified . . . with increasing familiarity of unbounded consciousness, the unboundedness of the ocean of Cosmic Consciousness is maintained along with thoughts, feelings, perceptions and sensations of the finite mind. (I am That)
The above is basic Buddhism\Vedanta, Perennial Philosophy 101, non-Duality . . . expressed in secular terminology. The above is sufficient for liberation - however there is room for additional spiritual development.
-----------------------------------
Now . . .what about the 'rest of the finite world'? our appreciation of other finite minds, trees, bees, etc.
This is when Vedanta and etc. refer to "Thou art That, and All This is nothing but That"
As one gains increasing familiarity with Cosmic Consciousness, CC begins to pervade thinking, perceiving and sensing. Concentration\thinking from CC is more powerful, perception more clear . . .
User avatar
Cleric K
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:40 pm

Re: Essay: Retracing Spiritual Activity (Part V)

Post by Cleric K »

lorenzop wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:48 pm Now . . .what about the 'rest of the finite world'? our appreciation of other finite minds, trees, bees, etc.
This is when Vedanta and etc. refer to "Thou art That, and All This is nothing but That"
As one gains increasing familiarity with Cosmic Consciousness, CC begins to pervade thinking, perceiving and sensing. Concentration\thinking from CC is more powerful, perception more clear . . .
And this simply circumvents the question once again ... :roll:

Using your ocean metaphor, when you straighten the waves of your finite mind and become identical to the unbounded ocean, isn't it logical (since you are now the whole infinite ocean) that you should feel all other beings as waves in your totality (just like you - CC - happens to feel Lorenzo's whirlpool)? Why this duality? You are either the infinite ocean, yet experienced in a completely laminar way, as a featureless field of potential, OR you zoom straight back into the whirlpool of Lorenzo's perspective. Why this coupling? If you indeed become the total infinite ocean, why not zoom into any other perspective?

Look, I understand your position, which is effectively that of Schopenhauer, except that the latter has been much more consistent with his wording. He at least called the core subjectivity "the blind will", emphasizing that it is unconscious. Calling that same core subjectivity "Cosmic Consciousness" only breeds confusion because as you implicitly admit, there's no such actual consciousness that can experience the waves of the many - even though they crisscross its very own substance. The core subjectivity is unconscious through and through and only becomes conscious within a finite mind, which, however, comes at the price of feeling as one whirlpool among many.

I'm not trying to walk you out of your philosophy but you can at least use more exact words. Cosmic Consciousness is one such misnomer. You may rather speak of the dark oceanic abyss of proto-consciousness (which, however, at that unbounded level is completely unconscious) that has the potential of becoming conscious within narrow whirlpools. If you claim that CC can be conscious, then it is a strange type of consciousness because you don't grant it the possibility of being aware of the many waves and whirlpools that exist within its own field of awareness. It's like saying "Yes, I'm the ocean of awareness, thoughts exist within me like ripples, but I'm not conscious of those thoughts. I can only become conscious if I zoom into a single thought, then, however, all the rest still remain outside consciousness." So it's a binary reality - either a single finite conscious mind or the infinite ocean, which however knows nothing of the multitude of waves and whirlpools that modulate its own boundless substance.
lorenzop
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Essay: Retracing Spiritual Activity (Part V)

Post by lorenzop »

Cleric K wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:25 pm
lorenzop wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:48 pm Now . . .what about the 'rest of the finite world'? our appreciation of other finite minds, trees, bees, etc.
This is when Vedanta and etc. refer to "Thou art That, and All This is nothing but That"
As one gains increasing familiarity with Cosmic Consciousness, CC begins to pervade thinking, perceiving and sensing. Concentration\thinking from CC is more powerful, perception more clear . . .
And this simply circumvents the question once again ... :roll:

Using your ocean metaphor, when you straighten the waves of your finite mind and become identical to the unbounded ocean, isn't it logical (since you are now the whole infinite ocean) that you should feel all other beings as waves in your totality (just like you - CC - happens to feel Lorenzo's whirlpool)? Why this duality? You are either the infinite ocean, yet experienced in a completely laminar way, as a featureless field of potential, OR you zoom straight back into the whirlpool of Lorenzo's perspective. Why this coupling? If you indeed become the total infinite ocean, why not zoom into any other perspective?

Look, I understand your position, which is effectively that of Schopenhauer, except that the latter has been much more consistent with his wording. He at least called the core subjectivity "the blind will", emphasizing that it is unconscious. Calling that same core subjectivity "Cosmic Consciousness" only breeds confusion because as you implicitly admit, there's no such actual consciousness that can experience the waves of the many - even though they crisscross its very own substance. The core subjectivity is unconscious through and through and only becomes conscious within a finite mind, which, however, comes at the price of feeling as one whirlpool among many.

I'm not trying to walk you out of your philosophy but you can at least use more exact words. Cosmic Consciousness is one such misnomer. You may rather speak of the dark oceanic abyss of proto-consciousness (which, however, at that unbounded level is completely unconscious) that has the potential of becoming conscious within narrow whirlpools. If you claim that CC can be conscious, then it is a strange type of consciousness because you don't grant it the possibility of being aware of the many waves and whirlpools that exist within its own field of awareness. It's like saying "Yes, I'm the ocean of awareness, thoughts exist within me like ripples, but I'm not conscious of those thoughts. I can only become conscious if I zoom into a single thought, then, however, all the rest still remain outside consciousness." So it's a binary reality - either a single finite conscious mind or the infinite ocean, which however knows nothing of the multitude of waves and whirlpools that modulate its own boundless substance.
Yes, as I wrote above, you are describing is a more 'mature' capability than "I am That" - expressed in 'Thou art That, and all This is That"
Also, as I've mentioned elsewhere, samadhi is not a goal, it is a method of purification. Karma Yoga - alternating samadhi and daily activity.
----
"Thou art That" - perception and appreciation of another being or object as unbounded Self
"All this is That" - perception and appreciation of another being or object (all beings) as Cosmic Consciousness (as CC is used in the diagram above). Colors, shapes, textures perceived as a 'covering' of Cosmic Consciousness which underlies all beings. This is not a belief or philosophy, it is lived as a natural manner of living.
User avatar
Cleric K
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:40 pm

Re: Essay: Retracing Spiritual Activity (Part V)

Post by Cleric K »

lorenzop wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:47 pm Yes, as I wrote above, you are describing is a more 'mature' capability than "I am That" - expressed in 'Thou art That, and all This is That"
Also, as I've mentioned elsewhere, samadhi is not a goal, it is a method of purification. Karma Yoga - alternating samadhi and daily activity.
----
"Thou art That" - perception and appreciation of another being or object as unbounded Self
"All this is That" - perception and appreciation of another being or object (all beings) as Cosmic Consciousness (as CC is used in the diagram above). Colors, shapes, textures perceived as a 'covering' of Cosmic Consciousness which underlies all beings. This is not a belief or philosophy, it is lived as a natural manner of living.
OK. Then let it be clear that through the science of Initiation, the goal is to grow in consciousness precisely in this more mature 'space' that contains the whirlpools. This expansion is not a binary process - either a limited sphere or the infinite one, but rather a gradient going through levels of integration of CC. Previously this has been depicted in this way:

Image

This is practically BK's image but instead of a simple two-tier system (one CC circle and many finite circles) it tries to hint (admittedly in a schematic way) at how the expansion of consciousness into the spheres of CC can be thought of as going through a gradient of contextual fields. Notice how the greater circles increasingly overlap and encompass more and more of the volume. As this expansion continues, it indeed asymptotically approaches the great circle symbolizing the One CC.

I know that this sounds highly abstract, but as you say, these things are not mere beliefs or philosophies but a living transformation of being. Such images are only the artistic forms through which CC tries to convey in human language (which is developed largely in relation to the sensory experiences) what its greater existence feels like.

You often say how it is our job here to know our true Being, which is CC. In the light of our last few posts it should be self-evident that CC which is conscious of its more encompassing spheres of being, knows itself much more fully. This is obvious. It is true that CC experiencing itself as a finite mind (small sphere) makes a decisive step forward by recognizing its identity with its own unbounded aspect. Now CC knows itself much more truly. But it is also obvious that CC which is conscious of its Cosmic dimension, within which the lesser whirlpools are embedded, has even truer self-knowledge.

Now in case you understand this, you may still say "Yeah, but evolving into the Cosmic aspects of CC is so far ahead of where humanity is at present. Before evolving through the contextual spheres of CC we should first purify our own finite sphere. Expanding further is of no use to humanity at this stage."

Here we fully agree that the purification of the personal sphere is indispensable. That's why the golden rule of Initiatic science is: For every one step that you take in the pursuit of higher knowledge, take three steps in the perfection of your own character.

But with the second part (that this expansion is of no use today) we have to disagree. We can only insist that we need to first fully purify our personal sphere (that is, seek Oneness not in its Cosmic dimension but only as far as our finite mind finds its local identity with CC) and only then consider the higher regions of CC, if we believe that these higher regions have nothing to do with our existence here in the Earthly state. To put that in a very simple metaphor, we can imagine the finite minds as TV screens that have bad reception with lots of static. The first position would say "We first need to get rid of the static on our personal screens and only then we can consider the higher spheres." This, however, rests on the assumption that the picture on the screen has nothing to do with the greater world (where for example the EM waves propagate). The two are considered as completely separate floors of existence. However, to fix the static we need to understand the greater world. We can learn to close our eyes and ignore the static, or simply love it for what it is, but to really improve the image (i.e. to know our inner being in greater reality) we need to understand how to tune our antennas, how to orient them in the proper polarization plane, how to consider the various factors that block the signal, cause reflections and so on. All of these are factors that extend in the greater world. It is the same in the spiritual context. CC cannot become perfect in its limited Earthly state and only then proceed to know its Cosmic aspects. On the contrary, perfection is attained by CC becoming more and more in-phase with its Cosmic aspects. Evil exists not simply as an attribute of the finite sphere but also in the spaces between them. That's why, in order to evolve we need to seek the Cosmic dimension of CC even today. Otherwise, we're like people trying to get rid of the static without wanting to know anything about antennas and EM propagation.
lorenzop
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Essay: Retracing Spiritual Activity (Part V)

Post by lorenzop »

If I grasp what you suggesting: 1) Reality is structured in layers, from a more gross and crude layer (Earthly existence?) to increasing celestial and sublime layers. Perhaps Reality isn't literally structured in layers or levels - but it has a certain explanatory benefit to think of Reality this way. I agree with this.
The second point you're making is that the 2) the path to Cosmic Consciousness, fully living and understanding Reality, is using intuition\will, to understand and appreciate the increasingly sublime and Divine layers, ultimately inclusive of Cosmic Consciousness Itself.
Using your diagram, (I think) you are proposing an ever increasing circle of appreciation and influence, encompassing all finite alters and sublime regions - until Cosmic Consciousness Itself is known.
Teachers such as Rupert Spira, Buddha, Jesus Christ, Ramana Maharishi take a different approach than you 2)
Cosmic Consciousness is to be appreciated, known and lived FIRST, then continuing subtle and finer aspects of Reality as it suits one's personality and interests. In the spirit of that old saying: Capture the fort and the territories will follow.
There multiple reasons for this direct approach. One, the layers\segments of Reality are non ending . . . there will always be another layer of celestial awesomeness, always be more 'stuff'.
Secondly, Cosmic Consciousness FIRST is easier because it's our nature . . . it's who we are. There is nothing to be understood, learned or acquired.
User avatar
Cleric K
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:40 pm

Re: Essay: Retracing Spiritual Activity (Part V)

Post by Cleric K »

lorenzop wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:25 am If I grasp what you suggesting: 1) Reality is structured in layers, from a more gross and crude layer (Earthly existence?) to increasing celestial and sublime layers. Perhaps Reality isn't literally structured in layers or levels - but it has a certain explanatory benefit to think of Reality this way. I agree with this.
The second point you're making is that the 2) the path to Cosmic Consciousness, fully living and understanding Reality, is using intuition\will, to understand and appreciate the increasingly sublime and Divine layers, ultimately inclusive of Cosmic Consciousness Itself.
Using your diagram, (I think) you are proposing an ever increasing circle of appreciation and influence, encompassing all finite alters and sublime regions - until Cosmic Consciousness Itself is known.
Teachers such as Rupert Spira, Buddha, Jesus Christ, Ramana Maharishi take a different approach than you 2)
Cosmic Consciousness is to be appreciated, known and lived FIRST, then continuing subtle and finer aspects of Reality as it suits one's personality and interests. In the spirit of that old saying: Capture the fort and the territories will follow.
There multiple reasons for this direct approach. One, the layers\segments of Reality are non ending . . . there will always be another layer of celestial awesomeness, always be more 'stuff'.
Secondly, Cosmic Consciousness FIRST is easier because it's our nature . . . it's who we are. There is nothing to be understood, learned or acquired.
OK, Lorenzo. Even your choice of words ("appreciation") shows that you look upon the sublime layers of CC as something extraneous and quite optional. One may appreciate these layers but may also not - it doesn't matter, nothing will change for the limited perspective of CC that does or doesn't appreciate its own higher nature.

It's all so simple. Imagine this vividly. Coming to know our Self feels as if we have been so far enmeshed in a web of entanglement. Our attention has been drawn by the thousand things. Desires ruled the direction of our existential movie. From your experience you very well know that we can differentiate our Self from this elastic web and know ourselves at a more fundamental and freer level. For a moniker let's use the term enlightened self for this state.

All this you understand very well. But then something very peculiar happens. We speak of even deeper layers of enmeshment and now suddenly you see these as already externalized - even though there's no consciousness of them. You see yourself already at the core of existence and basically say "Even if some day consciousness of the deeper layers develops, it won't in any way change the way I feel about who I am. Whether I know these layers or not is irrelevant. Once I have found this sense of what I am, it will remain the same forever and ever. All else can simply embellish the state with external details."

But this is absurd! It would be the same as if the ordinary unenlightened ego (which is still a perspective of CC, however, very constrained and unfree) was to say "I hear that you speak of some enlightened state but that's quite optional. In my chaotic, tossed-by-desires egoic state I am already a viewpoint of CC, so I am already what I am. Even if I approach the enlightened state that you talk about, this will simply reveal some additional layers of awesomeness but my life will remain completely untouched by this. I'll still be tossed by my desires, my mind will still jump erratically. This is my true self and I like it."

From your perspective you should clearly see the fallacy of this argument. It simply makes no sense. To approach the enlightened state is precisely the liberation of the inner being from the enmeshment of desires and chaotic mental forces. It is a misunderstanding to say "Yeah, I see the layers of the enlightened state, I appreciate them, but I'm still tossed by desires." It's obvious that this ego doesn't see what you are talking about. These layers are seen only when we become liberated from them, when we feel them as sheaths of our inner core.

By using this simple analogy we can very well understand how things stand regarding the even deeper Cosmic layers of the Self. We only need the humility to realize that even though our enlightened self is somewhat purified and elevated, it is still enmeshed in a mystery. To claim that in this state we already know our true nature, who we are, is the exact same fallacy, as the ordinary ego claiming it knows its true nature.

In both cases, the canary in the coal mine is the fact that there's resistance for change. This is the hallmark of a stagnated state of CC. CC squeezed in the state of an ordinary ego feels attached to its situation. Maybe not because it likes it so much but because it is crushed in that position. However, the resistance for change becomes glaringly obvious when that egoic state of CC declares that it already knows itself and there's nothing else to know or learn. The deeper enlightened layers may exist but they are expected as some additional perceptions, sensations, etc. It is implicitly maintained that existence will always feel like it feels in the egoic state - as a flow of perceptions, being thrown around by desires, and flooded by chaotic thoughts.

By analogy, we have the same situation for the CC that now considers itself enlightened. The resistance for change is still there. CC's perspective has simply moved a notch deeper but now acts in precisely the same stubborn way as in the unenlightened state. It once again believes that it already knows itself in full. It believes that even if perceptions of the Cosmic layers pop up in consciousness, this will in no way change how CC feels itself, how it experiences existence, and so on.

The solution to this stagnation is obvious. We should simply realize that no matter how enlightened we are, our present state is enmeshed in still deeper layers. This leads to the idea of the Higher Self. We continually become that Self by sacrificing our enmeshments. At any stage there's more to dismantle and thus the Self can resurrect at a higher stage. And this resurrection is not simply embellishing with more awesomeness our forever immutable sense of who we are but the sense of who we are changes - we change, our understanding of what we are and what existence is changes. Now the Self knows itself at an even truer level. Thus it is a sign of stagnation when CC claims that there's nothing more to know than what it already knows in its limited situation (even if enlightened). We understand that our evolutionary journey consists of knowing the Self at ever truer and deeper levels, transcending the merely personal.
lorenzop
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Essay: Retracing Spiritual Activity (Part V)

Post by lorenzop »

You don't like my use of the word 'appreciation', but I'm not sure what word or phrase you might prefer to use.

I'm sure you don't mean to peer into the contents of other finite minds (alters) without permission, this I think would be immoral.
I don't think you mean to have a relationship with all finite minds . . . this would be like listening to all the radio stations on earth at once.
I don't think you mean one has to visit, or 'conquer' all alters and celestial realms in the universe in order to know the Self - this would be an impossible burden.

So I'm not sure what you mean by intuiting\feeling one's way through all the finer and celestial realms.

If I were to use an analogy . . . imagine an unbounded infinite space, an unlimited space with presence and awareness. Imagine that there are finite minds (alters) in this space. The existence of finite minds do not diminish nor expand the infinite unbounded nature of the space.
Now, having realized I am That infinite unbounded space, and all beings and all things are unbounded space . . . liberation and freedom result. This is the direct path . . .
Now . . . one can 'appreciate' finite minds and realms of interest . . . family, friends neighbors, art, music, nature . . . according to one's interests and inclinations. And if one is interested in the Occult;, angels, devils, planets, etc.

Are you suggesting one has to taste\become acquainted with every finite mind and celestial realm before one can know the Self?
You could be granted a 1000 lifetimes, and accumulate countless cattle, many sons and daughters, visit\conquer 1001 celestial spheres . . . and still that 1002nd sphere will beckon and bellow your name.
User avatar
Cleric K
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:40 pm

Re: Essay: Retracing Spiritual Activity (Part V)

Post by Cleric K »

lorenzop wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:29 am I'm sure you don't mean to peer into the contents of other finite minds (alters) without permission, this I think would be immoral.
Let's look at it in the following way. Let's assume materialism for a moment since it's easier to grasp for most. If we assume that the conscious states of human beings correspond to (are one and the same with) the unique configurations of particles and fields in the bounds of our skin, then our conscious states are an objective part of the totality of the physical universe. Just like the crystal lattice of a stone is part of the unbounded field of the Cosmos, so are the conscious states of human beings (which are the configurations of physicality).

Of course, in physicalism, 'knowing' as a conscious experience exists only within the bounds of the human skin. Even though all conscious states are public parts of the objective structure of the universe, this total structure does not correspond to any conscious experience.

In idealism, however, the total structure of the Cosmos is the inner experience of CC. Now we have circled back to the first question: do you think that such a state can be consciously known/experienced? I'm not speaking about alters eavesdropping on each other but about higher stages of CC that encompass greater volumes of the unbounded inner space and thus encompass the conscious vibrations of whatever finite islands could be contained there. We can put aside the question of how such a conscious state would feel like. We are only interested in whether there could be such consciousness. Or, just like in materialism, clear knowing consciousness exists only in the finite whirlpools, while the totality is only vaguely felt as unbounded space (but the greater volumes of that space don't correspond to any conscious experience).

Let's put it bluntly: Can CC=God have some kind of conscious experience of the alter's vibrations that are undoubtedly embedded in its volume? We know from the scriptures that this should be the case. God sees through our inner space. "O LORD, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.", "... for your Father knows what you need, before you ask Him".

So with this in mind, can it be said that it is immoral for God to know our inner states? Can he even help but not do this? As a limited analogy, can it be said that we violate the privacy of our limbs by being conscious of them?

You see, the idea that we have our inner life fully private is an illusion. This might be the case with respect to other human beings, who interpret our inner life by whatever our sensory countenance betrays of it, but for the Higher Self, there are no such boundaries. Our inner life is contained in the greater volume of the inner life of the Cosmic Self.

We need to realize that our belief in the complete opaqueness of our inner life is the result of our fallen state "And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil." It is very simple. We support our belief in opaqueness because we feel more comfortable thinking that our inner life doesn't matter, that it doesn't ray and reverberate outwards into the unbounded space. Yet it is said: "For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known."

So can you confirm your position: do you think that knowing consciousness is only possible within the finite alters, who only asymptotically feel the unbounded space they are part of, but this greater volume of inner space doesn't correspond to any experience (it's like the unconscious blind will). Or you admit it should be possible for higher orders of CC to encompass the inner states of alters but you think that this is immoral and thus human beings shouldn't see this as some kind of ideal for knowing their true Self (which at its most intimate foundations is the total CC)? In other words, CC zoomed into a finite configuration feels reluctant to know its own Cosmic dimension because it is worried that it is immoral?
lorenzop
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Essay: Retracing Spiritual Activity (Part V)

Post by lorenzop »

If you are asking ( using an example from materialism) can there be, or can one develop an Earth Consciousness . . . where a finite mind can know the ethos of the planet, know the ethos of all earth beings, perhaps know the contents of mind of all earth beings . . . Yes I suspect this is possible, and I can see how this state could be seen as quite desirous.
However, a being in such a state could (still) be unsettled and envious of unbounded consciousness, and true freedom and liberation.
So then the thought might be - I need to 'capture' more territory . . . Solar System consciousness, Galaxy consciousness . . . it never ends.
(I think) You are proposing that CC can be fully realized through development and expansion of thinking . . . maybe this is possible, but I think it's treacherous and difficult.
The question is: Can one think one's way to CC?
I'm voicing the more traditional approach - - proposing calmness\silence is the means -- or perhaps a 'moment of Zen' (silence by another means)
Post Reply