Nominalism versus Realism

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Nominalism versus Realism

Post by AshvinP »

RehabDoc wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:57 pm Yes, Ashvin, but don't you think it is confusing to reject 'Realism' when what is being rejected is the nature of the relationship between perception and actuality. For example, it does not necessarily reject the idea that an understanding of the truth of actuality can be approached through consensus across individual observations. So what are we supposed to do with that? The idea of there being the possibility of understanding truth through consensus is exactly what Peirce proposed as the way the truth is obtained--through the consensus that arises among a community of inquirers who are all using the 'semiotic spiral' which we call the 'scientific method' to make sense out of our observations. The huge problem with Cartesian Nominalism is that it claims that an individual BY THEMSELF, has direct access to truth--ie so-called 'foundationalism'. This is a huge problem with Nominalism that feeds into its connection with Individualism, and its fundamental undermining of the significance of communication. How do you bring together the statement that there is no actual 'Realism' with the statement that Scholastic Realism is viable and actually in a position to supersede Cartesian Nominalism?
Gary, I was pointing out there are two separate definitions of "realism" which you are conflating in your critique of BK's Idea of the World. The one you are criticizing is the materialist position which stands in opposition to idealism, and I think you would agree that Peirce was an idealist. Ironically, it is the 20th century "realists" who embrace the "Nominalism" of the late Middle Ages and reject the "Realism" of the scholastics, because materialism is incompatible with universal categories (e.g. Platonic forms or archetypes) being real. Do you see what I mean?
It is also difficult to disentangle the concept of truth through scientific consensus and the undermining of 'realism'. My contention is that there is MUCH TO BE GAINED here by introducing the science of Semiotics as the science of signification and meaning, together with the insights of Charles Sanders Peirce which were of great importance and, if we want to bring it around, of great 'significance'. Why? Because of the displacement of the material foundation that Nominalism maintains by a relational foundation consistent with Scholastic Realism and triadic semiotics. Which implies that we are meaning-making creatures, that communication is real and necessary, that we only survive through the 'Social Principle' and through cooperativity, and that the 'Gospel of Love' is of higher importance and significance than the 'Gospel of Greed' into which Nominalism feeds. For me personally, this is the most important message to come out of the fundamental shift that Bernardo is fueling. And it cannot come a minute too soon. None of us is going to get out of this predicament through individual isolated action. It is going to take a concerted and coordinated effort on the part of each Semiotic Animal on the planet. And it begins with a recognition of the reality of Semiosis--that we are interpretant of our experience--and that evolution itself is actually semiosis in action, as was maintained by the late John Deely in his papers on the reality of 'physiosemiosis'--ie. that even the inanimate matter of the universe is engaged in semiosis that directs things in defiance of the second law of thermodynamics, to greater and greater semiotic freedom in the context of open systems into which energy is being pumped. That is, evolution, as semiosis, is directed toward the generation of dissipative systems of greater and greater complexity with steadily increasing semiotic freedom. And that this process goes from the very beginning of time forward and from the very origin of space outward. The universe is engaged in a process of continual semiosis. Which explains how we came to be.
I pretty much agree with all of the above.

PS - The individual vs. collective critique was raised by Eugene and not one that I share.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

I must also confess that the point about 'realism' is lost on me. BK's idealism clearly states that there is a reality that must still exist independent of any given alter-mode consciousness, but not, as is the premise of physicalism, independent of the fundamental, irreducible Consciousness that is the ontological primitive of idealism. So, as a finite locus or individuation of this fundamental, irreducible Consciousness, one only has experiential access to an extrinsic, objectified phenomenal appearance of an underlying realm of noumenal ideation now obfuscated by the screen of perception. Analogously, I can conceive a poem as a purely ideated reality, which must remain entirely unknowable to another subject until it is experienced as some extrinsic phenomenal form, either textual or oral. Likewise, so it is for the primal ideation of Mind at large ... or so it seems.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Do it, Gary. If you're showing how semiotics relates to Idealism, it's relevant.
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:55 pm I must also confess that the point about 'realism' is lost on me. BK's idealism clearly states that there is a reality that must still exist independent of any given alter-mode consciousness, but not, as is the premise of physicalism, independent of the fundamental, irreducible Consciousness that is the ontological primitive of idealism. So, as a finite locus or individuation of this fundamental, irreducible Consciousness, one only has experiential access to an extrinsic, objectified phenomenal appearance of an underlying realm of noumenal ideation now obfuscated by the screen of perception. Analogously, I can conceive a poem as a purely ideated reality, which must remain entirely unknowable to another subject until it is experienced as some extrinsic phenomenal form, either textual or oral. Likewise, so it is for the primal ideation of Mind at large ... or so it seems.
This is my understanding too. Hence why Schopenhauer refers to the noumenal mind at large will as 'blind'. The phenomenal appearance can be thought of as an interference pattern generated by the interplay of local and noumenal mind.

I often notice the erroneous temptation here to visualise the noumenal as like the falling rain code in the matrix - A thing out there that is normally translated into phenomena but is also in rare circumstances perceivable in itself.
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

Gary, I do think your point on realism is very valid. However it seems to me that it’s a wider problem in philosophy. I read a discussion recently on whether Aquinas was a dualist, and it seems he doesn’t fit into any of the modern descriptions, be it substance dualist, cartesian dualist, hylomorphic dualist etc. He saw the human as a unified whole, not part body and part soul, and yet has the soul surviving death, so this doesn’t really fit into the modern definition.

Just as Descartes took ideas from Augustine and Theresa of Avila, and repackaged them to be something new and different, I guess that’s just the process of philosophy that results in things completely changing their meaning over time. People then discredit the new meaning of the term, and the old meaning gets lost, or sometimes rediscovered. It can sometimes seem like the story of the Tower of Babel....
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:55 pm I must also confess that the point about 'realism' is lost on me. BK's idealism clearly states that there is a reality that must still exist independent of any given alter-mode consciousness, but not, as is the premise of physicalism, independent of the fundamental, irreducible Consciousness that is the ontological primitive of idealism.
I like the way Hoffman calls it: consciousness realism.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy