Would it be the only ultimate experiment for proving/disproving consciousness surviving death?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
5MeO-DMT_Philosopher

Would it be the only ultimate experiment for proving/disproving consciousness surviving death?

Post by 5MeO-DMT_Philosopher »

We don't have that possibility yet but let's say in the future when we will know everything there is to know about what is necessary to be able to form a memory of an experience, and somehow turn off all brain activity except what is necessary for imprinting in memory. Then just ask a person if they have experienced anything, or was it just a total loss of consciousness/gap in experience for them.
Martin_

Re: Would it be the only ultimate experiment for proving/disproving consciousness surviving death?

Post by Martin_ »

I'm not really sure how any outcome of that experiment would prove consciousness surviving / not surviving death.

You say : turn off everything in the brain except a specific part.

When dead; it's ALL off (the brain activity), so how would the experiment say anything about what happens after death?
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Eugene I

Re: Would it be the only ultimate experiment for proving/disproving consciousness surviving death?

Post by Eugene I »

That's what they did in Pam Sanders NDE case and in Sam Parina NDE studies. But none of those experiments would prove consciousness surviving death, they can only prove that consciousness and memory is independent of any brain activity detectable by EEG or other life-monitoring instrumentation. But even that would not be a proof that consciousness is independent of matter, but it would still challenge materialism to explain how consciousness can fully function with even greatly enhanced cognitive abilities (as reported by NDE experiencers) in the total absence of any detectable brain activity. It would simply add to the list of the explanatory gaps of materialism (in addition to the "hard problem of consciousness", QM paradoxes, the origin of life etc.).
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy