Essay: Man, Know Thyself

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Cleric K

Re: Essay: Man, Know Thyself

Post by Cleric K »

David_Sundaram wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:23 pm Brilliantly envisioned and eloquently said, Cleric!
Thanks, David!
David_Sundaram wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:23 pm all that the world is and all that transpires within it is the cumulative result of what has, from moment to moment since time began, been attitudinally entertained and inten­tionally purposed
I would like to write something in these lines but I guess it'll be at some future time.

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:52 pm Do you believe that if someone other than Jesus went to the Mount, that he or she would have delivered the same sermon?
I'm not sure what exactly you're asking. You mean if the Christ could have incorporated in any random human being?
Lou Gold wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:52 pm The Sun Spirit is the symbol of awakening for diurnal creatures like humans. Both Buddhists and Christians are speaking of consciousness or awareness "waking up."
And here's the point where mysticism stops while Esoteric Christianity continues further.
Lou Gold wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:52 pm Buddhists say the same and present a full canon of teachings as well as techniques for anyone to prove it in direct experience.
That's correct. And as we have already spoken few times elsewhere, the experience of pure awareness is perfectly attainable. As a matter of fact at the time of Buddha it was really the highest possible experience within the body. What we're speaking about is not that Buddha was wrong. He actually did the highest possible at that time of history. But the Spiral of evolution continues to unfold. After the Christ event, human consciousness can go further than pure awareness (detachment from the sensory self) - man can live in full self-consciousness within the processes and beings of the Spiritual World. And there we find the Sun not simply as a symbol for something but as real colony of spiritual beings that support the matrix of the whole Solar system (to use some fancy wording). The physical Sun is only the shadow of a whole creative world.

I'm not saying the above with the intention to sound convincing but only to point out where mysticism and Christian esoterism differ. For all forms of spirituality that focus on the pure awareness, the true Self, etc. we are left with the feeling that that's it! Once one gets to this experience, everything is resolved. All questions such as "why there's a Sun and planets?", "Why there are mineral, plant and animal kingdoms?", "Why we have will, feelings and thoughts?", "Why the body has the form it has?" and so on, are simply irrelevant for the enlightened mystic. They have no answer within the intellectual world and as such there's no point to ask. The most we get is something in the form of "The Sun and not-Sun are One and as such, the Sun doesn't exist as something real" And in certain sense this has been the proper attitude in ancient times. But now these questions can be asked and answers can be found. Every single detail in the sensory world can be traced to its origins in the doings of spiritual beings. That's why, from our human perspective, the Spiritual World is not only as complicated as the sensory (since it contains the causes of everything sensory) but is even more complicated because it contains many other processes that are not clearly projected as concrete sensory objects and events but are spread out everywhere.

Here lies the root cause for the differences. Unless this is grasped, talks like Buddha vs. Christ will always be fruitless and even damaging.

The Christian Initiate says: "I fully acknowledge that Buddha has pushed further human development through his teachings. He added a new and fresh impulse to the evolution of humanity which will continue to be active for millennia. With the Christ event another important impulse has been added. It in no way negates the deeds of Buddha but continues the stream of evolution further. Buddhism becomes one-sided if it doesn't recognize what has been added to evolving humanity through the Christ. In the same sense eXoteric Christianity is also one-sided because it takes the Christ just as any other God to be worshipped. The Christian Initiate fully understands the Buddhist method because in his meditations he makes use of this state. But he also connects with the powers of the Sun Spirit and through them he gains self-consciousness within the Spiritual World. This the Buddhist of today doesn't do. He doesn't admit that this possibility has been added to evolving humanity. Where the Buddhist experiences only void, the Christian Initiate recognizes a whole active world."

So, Lou, the root cause for the inability of understanding is the idea that humans are always the same in all ages of history. This gives the impression that all forms of spirituality are simply different paths towards the same ground Truth, which has always been available to humanity in the same ultimate form. Things begin to look differently when we recognize that humanity goes not only through technological evolution but more importantly through spiritual. There are certain things that happen in specific points of history and make possible something which wasn't previously. Even in the ordinary human development we can see this - the child can't reproduce until it reaches puberty. If this is comprehended on macrocosmic scale we come to understand that the human being is continually transformed. If we take the ancient teachings and apply them today in the same form, we are missing something. These teaching didn't speak of the things that are on today's agenda. In the same sense, what we are today talking here won't be relevant in the exact same way two thousand years from now.

So this is the challenge - the static, unchanging human being or the human being within the stream of evolution that raises him to higher stages of consciousness, which reveal the causes behind himself and the sensory world.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Circling about as ever.

I think you have written an excellent progressive developmental evolutionary Christian religious story and believe it has potential for liberating the awareness of those caught in more dogmatic versions of the myth. May those who like it use it in the most expanded and liberating ways possible. May all manner of thing be well. May all manner of people be well. May there be peace on the holy mountain.

Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Cleric, good insights, thanks. Having practiced both mystical Christianity and Buddhism, IMO, they are both lacking in certain aspects, yet, they both were important steps in the development of human consciousness. You are right that Buddhism lacks the appreciation of the reality of forms and the insight into the active world of forms, it disregards the variety for the sake of oneness and fullness for the sake of emptiness. On the other hand, Christianity misses the fundamental reality and unity of awareness and suffers from duality where "God" is perceived as some "entity" "outside" of the human soul. Some Christian mystics, such as Meister Eckhart or St. John of the Cross, were able to almost transcend this duality, but never to a full extent. As we agree that the evolution of human consciousness progressed since Buddha and Christ times, may be it's also time to move beyond the limitations of their teachings to a next more integrated level where the non-duality and duality are integrated and reconciled without disregarding one vs the other. The reality that we experience is mysteriously and simultaneously non-dual and dual, oneness and variety, emptiness and fullness.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:40 pm Circling about as ever.
It's just that there's a Gate. You say that the Gate is not significant and everything needed can be found on our side. I say that there's something that can give the true impetus to human development only when the Gate crossed.
My whole point was not to go in circles but to pinpoint the exact place where our philosophies diverge, so that the root cause is clear and avoid arguing about side effects. That's all :)
Lou Gold wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:40 pm May those who like it use it in the most expanded and liberating ways possible. May all manner of thing be well. May all manner of people be well. May there be peace on the holy mountain.
Now that we have pinpointed the root cause, I suggest leave it to everyone's freedom to consider the Gate or not. Your words above are a good finale :)
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

As we agree that the evolution of human consciousness progressed since Buddha and Christ times, may be it's also time to move beyond the limitations of their teachings to a next more integrated level where the non-duality and duality are integrated and reconciled without disregarding one vs the other. The reality that we experience is mysteriously and simultaneously non-dual and dual, oneness and variety, emptiness and fullness.
VIVA!
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Cleric K wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:09 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:40 pm Circling about as ever.
It's just that there's a Gate. You say that the Gate is not significant and everything needed can be found on our side. I say that there's something that can give the true impetus to human development only when the Gate crossed.

This is your projection as I never mentioned "my" gate, nor have I ever asserted that all the 'action' takes place on 'this side'. If I was to mention a 'gate' it would quite possibly sound like acceptance of a great mysteriousness, similar in kind to Eugene's, in which the dual and the nondual, the One and the many, the wonder and the terror are even more integrated in an awareness forever manifesting in a many directional and many splendored process.
Last edited by Lou Gold on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:28 pm This is your projection as I never mentioned "my" gate.
Yes, I was speaking of this gate:
John 10:9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Cleric K wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:38 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:28 pm This is your projection as I never mentioned "my" gate.
Yes, I was speaking of this gate:
John 10:9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture.
YES! This is your Christian religious story. I'm not opposed to it. Indeed, much of my personal direct experience is aligned with it. I just want it recognized for what it is: a religious story. And, I resist any portrayal that insists that this is the only gate or that denies the possibility of multiple gates in interconnected action.
Last edited by Lou Gold on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Perhaps of interest here, another story of encounters with the Seraphim ...

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Cleric,

I suspect that the 'root' disagreement is that you may see development as a individual process, which would naturally align with a singular 'gate' whereas I see an "I-Thou" or "Me-to-We" or species-level step in which many gates opening for separate individuals may occur simultaneously.