Was Plato a Dualist

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Simon Adams

Re: Was Plato a Dualist

Post by Simon Adams »

Yes I agree 100% with all of that. Apologies I misunderstood where you were coming from. I also agree that the effect of this flawed cartesian way of thinking has spread widely. The strange thing is that there are people who have probably not read a single book on any area of philosophy or theology etc, (i.e. even less than me :) ) but seem to just naturally get the older way of seeing things. It’s tricky because a good education should get people to evaluate evidence, to be “objective” etc, which usually builds a certain mindset that can analyse things in very sophisticated and detailed ways, but misses the ‘woods for the trees’. Or at least compartmentalises the ‘woods’ as an irrelevant abstraction of ‘multiple trees’. I’m not sure what the answer to that is, other than regular time in silence perhaps. I guess music, time in nature with real wild animals, a clear sky full of stars, are all things that can help disrupt that very mechanistic view of things.
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
Simon Adams

Re: Was Plato a Dualist

Post by Simon Adams »

PS. One of the recent books I’ve ordered (which are all in a pile gathering dust right now) is this which apparently brings some of these elements together (including Jung). It has excellent reviews but I have no idea when I’ll get to it.
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine