Decoding Synchronicity: Jung & Wolfgang Pauli

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

Decoding Synchronicity: Jung & Wolfgang Pauli

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

I'm curious as to what BK's Decoding Jung's Metaphysics might make of this ... I'm thinking there would be a disconnect.

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Martin_

Re: Decoding Synchronicity: Jung & Wolfgang Pauli

Post by Martin_ »

In which way are you thinking there would be a disconnect?

Personally, I still haven't figured out whether Jung was an Idealist or a Dual Aspect Monist. The 'tube above sides with the Dual Aspect camp, as does numerous academic articles, but there are also those who tag him as an Idealist.

An additional complication is that his metaphysical position seems to have changed over his course of his life.

Edit: If Bernardo is putting him in the Idealist camp, I'd be very interested to learn his reasons for that.
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Martin_ wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:22 pm In which way are you thinking there would be a disconnect?

Personally, I still haven't figured out whether Jung was an Idealist or a Dual Aspect Monist. The 'tube above sides with the Dual Aspect camp, as does numerous academic articles, but there are also those who tag him as an Idealist.

An additional complication is that his metaphysical position seems to have changed over his course of his life.

Edit: If Bernardo is putting him in the Idealist camp, I'd be very interested to learn his reasons for that.

Yes, the point about the disconnect is based on BK interpreting Jung's metaphysics in terms of idealism, and not some version of dual-aspect monism that views psyche and matter as being reducible to the anima mundi ~ a case I expect he'll make in his upcoming book.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

[Yes, the point about the disconnect is based on BK interpreting Jung's metaphysics in terms of idealism, and not some version of dual-aspect monism that views psyche and matter as being reducible to the anima mundi ~ a case I expect he'll make in his upcoming book.

Clever as the young man is, I doubt he's had the time to read Jung's entire corpus of works 2 or 3 times...
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Martin_ wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:22 pm In which way are you thinking there would be a disconnect?

It seems to me that 'dual aspect monism' which embraces the reality of mind, as Jung certainly did, is simply a subset of idealism. We could also label Schopenhauer a dual aspect monist since he claims the world is comprised of will and representations of will, both of which can be experienced directly, but he is also clearly an idealist thinker.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"