Gabor Maté on Jordan Peterson

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Gabor Maté on Jordan Peterson

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:51 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:28 pm Well I'm not going to dig through all of your comments on the topic, but you frequently call that type of math "colonialist" and imply some oppressive political and socioeconomic qualities, which you also do for the word "individual", "individualism", etc. and much of Judeo-Christian mythological/theological approach, as you did with JP's interpretation of ancient Egyptian myths. It's too consistent of a trend to think I am just imagining all of it, just like the similar trends in American/Canadian grade schools through universities. I am glad JP keeps a few toes in that swamp because he has a massive audience along with the Weinstein brothers, Murray, etc, but I agree it's ultimately best for him to focus on metaphysical issues.
Well, the math of Seth theory, to put it in a pun, can't be ultimately separate from how long history of class society, in the technical meaning of quantitative administration by a ruling class of scribes, affects and forms the identities of alters. The separation humanity into the countable form of closed intervals / finite sets has been a colonizing mental process, which the already archetypal myth of Agent Smith exemplifies on a deep level. In ultimate form and logical conclusion this mathematical colonizing process becomes eliminative materialism and insistence of reducing consciousness and experience to discrete numbers and/or set theory. You work with numbers, and see daily what it can do to people when they are treated as mere numbers, when our multidimensional and qualitative debts of mutual dependence become mechanically quantified inhumane rules. It's not the Christian way, in any positive sense of the word. Sacrificing the meek of the Earth for the blind greed of Mammon is not the right way to give sacrifice, it is sacrilege. The true beauty of mathematics should not be used in such manner.

Therefore, I chose my words very carefully, when I said Relop is a new Gospel, a form of Living Logos, to deliver us from this hamartia, this error of mathematical writing gone wrong and acting much more as poison than medicine, badly out of good proportion. In Seth theory, the mathematical twin of materialistic scientism and physicalism, formalist school of mathematics separates mathematical writing from intuition and connection with spirit, and makes it a mere arbitrary language game of the post-modern condition.
I understand that is the narrative you support, but I don't agree with it and neither does JP. It's probably the aspect of PoMo philosophy that gets under his skin the most and I can see why. It is basically equating Western civilization, all the way down to the level of its mathematical origins, with class oppression in the worst sense of the word "oppression". It is cynical to the very core and infects every aspect of Western civilization with resentment, perhaps the only negative emotion capable of disguising itself as spiritual meaning. Maybe you are not resentful, but then you are by far the exception and it's easy to understand why so many people who follow that logic are.
Deconstruction is a good word to replace Heidegger's concept of destruktio, we can't responsibly destroy without rebuilding. We can't "cancel" mathematics, but we can give arithmetics and computation a new foundation which can reconnect with open interval what starting mathematics from closed interval separated.

As I've said, God of Number theory is primary to questions about monotheism, polytheism, dualism and non-dualism. So the spiritual healing of the M@L level math deity starts from number theory, by replacing the closed interval with open interval in the foundation of mathematics, by replacing quantification with codependent process.

The new foundation of mathematics has been intuitively received, and by the signs, the spirit is pleased with the form of writing. My role in this process is that of a humble translator.
Honestly I view this as a means of setting a standard for the foundation of "authentic" spirituality which you know, or should know, will never be met. It's the easiest way of making sure no one will take nondual Western monotheism seriously again, ever. It serves as an anti-theory to pragmatism by making the most exclusive framework and the framework which is least likely to be adopted as the one which is most "important" for spiritual faith. And that's a terrible way to go about it.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Honestly I view this as a means of setting a standard for the foundation of "authentic" spirituality which you know, or should know, will never be met. It's the easiest way of making sure no one will take nondual Western monotheism seriously again, ever. It serves as an anti-theory to pragmatism by making the most exclusive framework and the framework which is least likely to be adopted as the one which is most "important" for spiritual faith. And that's a terrible way to go about it.

The Grand Inquisitor argues similarly.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:24 am

The Grand Inquisitor argues similarly.
Yes! I can definitely see the GI crucifying Christ again over an off-hand remark which embraces set theory :)
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Good that the "prisoner" stayed silent.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Looks to me like the line-up for the game is Ashvin and Cleric on one end; Lou and Santeri on the other; with Eugene picking up the middle. Seems like the Emperor has no clothes.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:53 am Looks to me like the line-up for the game is Ashvin and Cleric on one end; Lou and Santeri on the other; with Eugene picking up the middle. Seems like the Emperor has no clothes.
I think you just lost Santeri with your cavalier use of linear point-like set theory imagery :lol:
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:19 am I understand that is the narrative you support, but I don't agree with it and neither does JP.
Unless JP has given you the power of an attorney, it's not kosher to speak for him. ;)
It is basically equating Western civilization, all the way down to the level of its mathematical origins, with class oppression in the worst sense of the word "oppression". It is cynical to the very core and infects every aspect of Western civilization with resentment, perhaps the only negative emotion capable of disguising itself as spiritual meaning. Maybe you are not resentful, but then you are by far the exception and it's easy to understand why so many people who follow that logic are.
The wrong turn was "Cantor's paradise" (as called by Hilbert, father of Formalism) which lead to the prevailing set theory. Not Babylonian, Egyptian and Greek math as such, or Indian, Chinese, Maya etc. math. The resentment you refer to seems to be mostly phenomena of settler self-hatred originating from complex Shadow projection and integration processes on cultural level. Echoed and amplified by the hysterics of very American outrage culture. As Lou said, forgiveness to self can be the hardest thing.

If sin is defined as separation from God, as Christian scholars very often explain the deeper spiritual meaning, then those separated by a false theory of mathematics are lost lambs, don't you agree?

Open interval is not an exclusive concept, it's both more and less. Nor is it a competing religion, no belief is required, it's only offering ability to think more clearly about the age old problem between continuity and discontinuity. It's just math, prior to Aristotelean logic. Aristotelean etc. logic of either-or becomes really possible only with the concept of a closed interval, such as empty set. Closed intervals of finite sets are not denied, the only trick is to switch the foundational order. Closed intervals (etc. school arithmetics) can be coherently (<and prag[ma]tically!>) derived from open interval, but not vice versa. The initial truth theory is here same as BK applies, coherence theory of truth. The coherence theory in turn enables more specific proof theories, such as classical logic, intuitionist logic, etc. as they become defined in further construction of the foundational theory.

both-and - inclusive
either-or - exclusive

Do you get it now? Closed intervals, which enable meaningful either-or relations between objects, can be derived from halting the process of an open interval, ie. "neither more nor less/neither increases nor decreases". The good, computable aspects of math are not lost, only given a coherent foundation.

Thank you for your patience and attention. You are helping much to learn to speak this more plainly. Perhaps some day so plain, that even Lou comprehends, despite his "resentment" towards intellectual comprehension... ;)
Last edited by SanteriSatama on Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

both-and - inclusive
either-or - exclusive
Nothing to resent in that. I intuit that math sets are mindsets.
JustinG

Post by JustinG »

Peter Jones wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:26 am
AshvinP wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:11 pm Of course BK endorses non-dualism. But he rarely talks about "mysticism" or makes any sort of philosophical arguments for it without making the topic much more precise. Which is the same thing JP does - he formulates the philosophical questions he is thinking through and attempting to answer very precisely. Which is not what you are doing in your criticism of him at all. You have already admitted you have no desire to read his books, and I imagine the same applies to his lectures/interviews, so why offer an uninformed opinion in the first place?
Why do you suppose my opinion is uninformed? I have no desire to read his book because I''m well enough informed to know he doesn't understand philosophy or mysticism. I'm not sure whether he'd agree but I suspect he would.

BK does not make the topic more precise. He avoids making the connections to mysticism because it would not serve his agenda and might actually do damage. Compare his mate Rupert Spira with JP. and ask yourself who has a better grasp of reality.

I'm not putting JP down, just noting that he is not as well-informed as he could be.
Here here. Life is short and there are thousands of authors whose books could be read ahead of Peterson. Why waste one's time.

He has an ability above that of the average academic to communicate with the public, which he has been able to monetize. But apart from that he is just your average academic. I don't get why his stuff occupies so much space on this forum, especially given that most of his nonsense is overtly political and not metaphysical.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:34 am
both-and - inclusive
either-or - exclusive
Nothing to resent in that. I intuit that math sets are mindsets.
Sounds ok. There's the expression "setting your mind to a task", with some finite objective.