The irreducibility of consciousness

Here both posters and comments will be restricted to topic-specific discourse. Comments should directly address the original post and poster. Comments and/or links that are deemed to be too digressive or off-topic, may be deleted by a moderator.
AshvinP

Re: The irreducibility of consciousness

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:45 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:40 pm hailstan's
Who dat?
The guy who asked the question I was responding to - memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=144
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
DandelionSoul

Post by DandelionSoul »

SanteriSatama wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:45 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:40 pm hailstan's
Who dat?
OP of this thread.
hailstan

Post by hailstan »

DandelionSoul wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:32 amI would suggest that we know a few other things besides. We know that mind can appear to mind as matter, as in the case of dreams and some hallucinatory states. We know that at least some matter is an outer appearance of inner life. And we know that both matter and mind can only be conceived of in terms of mind. Idealism accommodates all of those facts very comfortably. Neutral monism just doesn't -- it posits as the reduction base we-know-not-what, and the we-know-not-what grounds both materiality and mentality we-know-not-how. If we're going to go that route, we might as well have let metaphysics bottom out at Kant.
This is a great response, thanks for reminding me of these things.