How Many 'Alters' Per 'Organism'?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lou Gold

Re: How Many 'Alters' Per 'Organism'?

Post by Lou Gold »

Cleric wrote: Yes, views differ. I'm not arguing right vs. wrong. I'm speaking of my own experience.

In no sense do I challenge your experience. I'm reporting my experiential response to your judgemental -- higher/lower, superior/inferior -- interpretive lingo, which is the kind of view that can throw the baby out with the bath by viewing a child primarily as an incomplete adult. Jesus correctly advices that to gain entry to heaven, "be as a child" because, as Suzuki Roshi observed, a "beginner's mind" (judgement free) is the port of entry to learning. Finding "best fit" in a dynamic system requires that models be loosely held.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Here's an insightful poetic view:

Soulwork

Tracy K. Smith

One’s is to feed. One’s is to cleave.
One’s to be doubled over under greed.
One’s is strife. One’s to be strangled by life.
One’s to be called and to rise.
One’s to stare fire in the eye.
One’s is bondage to pleasure.
One’s to be held captive by power.
One’s to drive a nation to its naked knees
in war. One’s is the rapture of stolen hours.
One’s to be called yet cower.
One’s is to defend the dead.
One’s to suffer until ego is shed.
One’s is to dribble the nectar of evil.
One’s but to roll a stone up a hill.
One’s to crouch low
over damp kindling in deep snow
coaxing the thin plume
of cautious smoke.
One’s is only to shiver.
One’s is only to blow.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:25 pm Indeed, as I too am speaking from experience, and which has perhaps been jaded by my socialworker experience, whereby hoping someone might be inclined to go where they simply are not yet ripe to go, often felt like this ...
:D
I sympathize.
Lou Gold wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:08 pm In no sense do I challenge your experience. I'm reporting my experiential response to your judgemental -- higher/lower, superior/inferior -- interpretive lingo, which is the kind of view that can throw the baby out with the bath by viewing a child primarily as an incomplete adult. Jesus correctly advices that to gain entry to heaven, "be as a child" because, as Suzuki Roshi observed, a "beginner's mind" (judgement free) is the port of entry to learning. Finding "best fit" in a dynamic system requires that models be loosely held.
Honestly, I don't know why this topic always ends up like this :) I'm speaking of something so elementary obvious. To me it feels like:
- It's getting cold in here, mind if I bring the the heat few degrees up?
- Woow woow. What's up with the warmth discrimination? The temperature should go in all directions at the same time!
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

It's getting cold in here, mind if I bring the the heat few degrees up?

Another option, go for a walk in the sub-zero windchill, after which I have to turn the heat down in the house :mrgreen:
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Cleric K wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:39 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:25 pm Indeed, as I too am speaking from experience, and which has perhaps been jaded by my socialworker experience, whereby hoping someone might be inclined to go where they simply are not yet ripe to go, often felt like this ...
:D
I sympathize.
Lou Gold wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:08 pm In no sense do I challenge your experience. I'm reporting my experiential response to your judgemental -- higher/lower, superior/inferior -- interpretive lingo, which is the kind of view that can throw the baby out with the bath by viewing a child primarily as an incomplete adult. Jesus correctly advices that to gain entry to heaven, "be as a child" because, as Suzuki Roshi observed, a "beginner's mind" (judgement free) is the port of entry to learning. Finding "best fit" in a dynamic system requires that models be loosely held.
Honestly, I don't know why this topic always ends up like this :) I'm speaking of something so elementary obvious. To me it feels like:
- It's getting cold in here, mind if I bring the the heat few degrees up?
- Woow woow. What's up with the warmth discrimination? The temperature should go in all directions at the same time!
What's up with the warmth discrimination? The temperature should go in all directions at the same time! is your persistent strawman. The steelman position is that it's just as important to know how to turn the thermostat down as to know how to turn it up. No one is asserting
The temperature should go in all directions at the same time
. I'm reporting to you that your choice of lingo consistently reveals an ascent bias. You do not say:
I'm speaking of something so elementary obvious. To me it feels like: - It's getting hot in here, mind if I bring the the AC few degrees down?
This is the difference that makes the difference.

Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou ... Viewing that artwork depicting a queue standing before a stairway to a window view, I'm reminded, in contrast, of someone claiming that entities of the empyrean domain are lining up for a chance to experience the constraints of the tragic-comic corporeal domain, as attracted to it as we might be attracted to their realm ... if so, what's 'up' with that?
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:54 pm Another option, go for a walk in the sub-zero windchill, after which I have to turn the heat down in the house :mrgreen:
After taking a plunge in ice-cold water, walking naked in the snow feels quite warm.

A real spiritual master worth his paygrade would of course not accept turning up the battery knob or burning wood in the fire place: "Learn tummo now, boy, or freeze to death and see if I care!"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

After taking a plunge in ice-cold water, walking naked in the snow feels quite warm.

Hmm ... I was more imagining Santeri making steamy love in the sauna, before frolicking naked in the snow.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:05 pm Lou ... Viewing that artwork depicting a queue standing before a stairway to a window view, I'm reminded, in contrast, of someone claiming that entities of the empyrean domain are lining up for a chance to experience the constraints of the tragic-comic corporeal domain, as attracted to it as we might be attracted to their realm ... if so, what's 'up' with that?
What's up with that? One can always name another more transcendent level such as the "empyrean domain." The potential of naming is infinite. Maybe it's done just ...

Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

OK. I capitulate - my analogy has been demolished into quarks :mrgreen:
Lou Gold wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:57 pm I'm reporting to you that your choice of lingo consistently reveals an ascent bias. You do not say:
I'm speaking of something so elementary obvious. To me it feels like: - It's getting hot in here, mind if I bring the the AC few degrees down?
This is the difference that makes the difference.
I could have given the same example as yours. That was not the point. It was that whatever we do, we must make a step in a given direction and in this act we prioritize it over all other directions. And if someone wants to play opposition they can always say "Why exactly this direction? Why neglect so easily all other?"
My child-example was about the specific context of education. And not even speaking of the 'evil' indoctrination-education of our age. Isn't it true that a child does not yet understand all the consequences of its actions. If a child is left on its own it may watch TV or play on its tablet all day long. Isn't it the role of the parent to guide the child, even if it feels this as a restriction at the given time? It's not about demeaning the child but by helping it develop the needed qualities to become a reasonable and beneficial for the whole, human being. I'm not advocating that the child should be converted into dull, close-minded, dry adult. We've been through this before when I said that we should retain the innocent, pure and open heart of the child. But as far as the mind goes, there are things that the child simply has to learn, like the most basic thing - to be able to provide its food. You said it yourself "the beginner's mind is the entry to learning". Nowhere it's said that we should remain at the level of judgment free but ignorant mind. This is not what Jesus advised. We should keep our flexibility when judging about reality but our knowledge and wisdom must clearly increase, otherwise there's no learning. Even in the world of animals the little have to learn the basic skills before they are weaned by their mother.

Leaving aside the failed heat analogy. Speaking directly. How it is worse for humanity if individuals strive fully consciously to better themselves, to rectify their flaws, to achieve broader and less prejudiced view, to study the visible and invisible laws of Nature and the Cosmos, to strive for healthy and functional life, to seek the common Center that unifies and gives Life? Yes, this is "one-sided" in the sense that there are countless other ways. But how can this be 'dangerous' or lead to evil? How can conscious striving for Love, Wisdom, Truth, Brotherhood, Freedom somehow lead to evil? While if we integrate and make room for evil (through white/dark balance), this somehow magically leads to the virtues mentioned? Seriously, I simply don't get the logic here.