Consciousness, Civilization and Citizenship

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lou Gold

Consciousness, Civilization and Citizenship

Post by Lou Gold »

It seems to me that Relational Systems are, at minimum, a 3-legged stool or tri-unity. IMHO it is impossible to discuss Consciousness and Civilization without also discussing Citizenship. There's always Spirit, Container and Participant. Since citizenship inevitably raises the banned topic of politics -- I agree that it's too gnarly to handle in this forum -- I'm searching for a less "partisan current events" way to put the discussion on our conversational table.

I propose that we discuss how we humans might become citizens among all beings -- human and other -- and how to live out in practice inter-being. As a basis for discussion I offer the following podcast which challenges the listener toward lion-hearted leadership.

https://forthewild.world/listen/linda-t ... +Rewild%29
SanteriSatama

Re: Consciousness, Civilization and Citizenship

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:16 pm I propose that we discuss how we humans might become citizens among all beings -- human and other -- and how to live out in practice inter-being. As a basis for discussion I offer the following podcast which challenges the listener toward lion-hearted leadership.
This a matter of custom, not law.

Negotiation with fellow mice citizen is sometimes problematic and can IMHO justifiably involve also mouse-traps when their violation of sanctity of home becomes intolerable. Any advice for less lethal negotiation is of course welcome.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

SanteriSatama wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:19 am
Lou Gold wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:16 pm I propose that we discuss how we humans might become citizens among all beings -- human and other -- and how to live out in practice inter-being. As a basis for discussion I offer the following podcast which challenges the listener toward lion-hearted leadership.
This a matter of custom, not law.

Negotiation with fellow mice citizen is sometimes problematic and can IMHO justifiably involve also mouse-traps when their violation of sanctity of home becomes intolerable. Any advice for less lethal negotiation is of course welcome.
Yes, true inter-being or mitakuye oyasin is surely a matter of custom, not law.

Advice for less lethal negotiation? Endless practice of RESPECT as a fundamental custom. A culture or a civilization is a habit, a habitual way endlessly projected onto the world. How? Same as with any habit, by practice. I've already cited an example in other threads, an example of being heart-centered, which I'll repeat again...

"Having a good heart goes further than anything in terms of empathising with the nondual state. Intellectual elaborations are not important. Kindness is something you feel – a warmth and expansiveness which flows from our growing openness. Kindness is our contact, our strongest link with the nondual state. So much for law and order. The essence of Buddhism is similar to anarchism. Not anarchy in the distorted popular sense in which the word is understood—in the sense of dog-eat-dog-chaos—but anarchism in terms of ‘no external government’. Anarchism is the naturally manifesting inner government of awareness – unconditioned, present, direct and utterly responsible." ~ Ngakpa Chogyam

I'm not advocating narrowly for Buddhism, which is not my personal spiritual practice. I'm asserting that mitakuye oyasin, interbeing, the Golden Rule, there is no other, the field beyond right and wrong doing, and other similar expressions are made real in the world by practice, a practice called Citizenship, which links Consciousness and Civilization. Additionally, I found the podcast especially interesting for the the way it linked being Lionhearted and the Great Mother.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:49 pm Advice for less lethal negotiation? Endless practice of RESPECT as a fundamental custom. A culture or a civilization is a habit, a habitual way endlessly projected onto the world. How? Same as with any habit, by practice. I've already cited an example in other threads, an example of being heart-centered, which I'll repeat again...
Not very practical advice, the issue is not lack of respect and love for our mice kin, on the contrary - the little buggers are very smart and cute. The issue is genuine and very practical conflict of interests.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Not very practical advice, the issue is not lack of respect and love for our mice kin, on the contrary - the little buggers are very smart and cute. The issue is genuine and very practical conflict of interests.
I disagree.

Total respect for a worthy opponent is essential in martial arts. The

Code: Select all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morihei_Ueshiba
placed himself "in harmony with the universe" and demonstrated that the mere thought of attacking him would defeat the attacker. He called this harmonious placement, "Love."

And, in the domestic scene, traditional cultures often make regular food offerings outside the house in a ritual kindness that keeps the critters habituated to the location of food. This combines ritual, respect and kindness for critters who otherwise (in separation) would be considered as 'vermin' to be killed or trapped.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

DAMN! I wanted to embed url the behind words "founder of Aikido" as was so easy to do at the old google format.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou, when you finally figure out how to create a hyperlink using BBcode, you're gonna laugh about how easy it actually is. I can't explain it any clearer that in the recent email I sent you, along with the youtube video tutorial.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

SanteriSatama wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:41 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:49 pm Advice for less lethal negotiation? Endless practice of RESPECT as a fundamental custom. A culture or a civilization is a habit, a habitual way endlessly projected onto the world. How? Same as with any habit, by practice. I've already cited an example in other threads, an example of being heart-centered, which I'll repeat again...
Who and what exactly who do "mice" and "mouse traps" refer to?
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Mice are little critters that invade homes. eat food, spread germs and make a mess. Traps are for killing or capture. The conflict is real. In my household we prefer live traps rather than killing ones, which is how we practice respect. And, no, it does not always work and we move to harsher methods.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:28 am
Mice are little critters that invade homes. eat food, spread germs and make a mess. Traps are for killing or capture. The conflict is real. In my household we prefer live traps rather than killing ones, which is how we practice respect. And, no, it does not always work and we move to harsher methods.
I know what mice are... what or who are they are they representing in this analogy?
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."