The Nose Dive of Philosophy

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Peter Jones

Re: The Nose Dive of Philosophy

Post by Peter Jones »

SanteriSatama wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:44 pm Calculus has been a sick infant from it's birth. We do need medicine of philosophy to heal the baby, so that it can grow strong and wise.
This seems an important point, but a big topic.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Peter Jones wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:46 pm
SanteriSatama wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:44 pm Calculus has been a sick infant from it's birth. We do need medicine of philosophy to heal the baby, so that it can grow strong and wise.
A big topic indeed. My comments to your Weyl article were about some first steps in that topic.
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

SanteriSatama wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:25 pm
Peter Jones wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:46 pm
A big topic indeed. My comments to your Weyl article were about some first steps in that topic.
I'd enjoy pursuing this, but it'd be off-topic here.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Peter Jones wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:54 pm I'd enjoy pursuing this, but it'd be off-topic here.
Maybe, maybe not. The mod is pretty cool. :)

If you'd like some other platform, what that might be?
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:58 pm
Peter Jones wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:54 pm I'd enjoy pursuing this, but it'd be off-topic here.

Maybe, maybe not. The mod is pretty cool. :)

If Simon had wanted to keep this thread strictly 'on topic', and not digressing into tangential themes, as just about every topic seems to do in this section, I assume he would have posted it in the 'formal discussions' section. But if you feel it deserves a room of its own, go for it.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Not sure if "here" referred to this thread or this forum. There's another thread called 'more-less mathematics' on the front page, but perhaps the formal section would be best, if this forum is OK.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:28 pm Not sure if "here" referred to this thread or this forum. There's another thread called 'more-less mathematics' on the front page, but perhaps the formal section would be best, if this forum is OK.
Well, I must concede that much of this math stuff is out of my league, and I'm not always clear on its metaphysical aspect, but when you write this ...

SanteriSatama wrote: "Calculus has been a sick infant from it's birth. We do need medicine of philosophy to heal the baby, so that it can grow strong and wise."

... I'm not sure why it would be unsuitable in this forum, unless it's somehow related to antagonistic, us-vs-them, polarized partisan politics.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:12 pm If Simon had wanted to keep this thread strictly 'on topic', and not digressing into tangential themes, as just about every topic seems to do in this section, I assume he would have posted it in the 'formal discussions' section. But if you feel it deserves a room of its own, go for it.
Yes, this topic was just my little rant as I was skimming through some areas of philosophy, so I’m more than happy for it to be diverted.
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:42 pm
SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:28 pm Not sure if "here" referred to this thread or this forum. There's another thread called 'more-less mathematics' on the front page, but perhaps the formal section would be best, if this forum is OK.
Well, I must concede that much of this math stuff is out of my league, and I'm not always clear on its metaphysical aspect, but when you write this ...

SanteriSatama wrote: "Calculus has been a sick infant from it's birth. We do need medicine of philosophy to heal the baby, so that it can grow strong and wise."

... I'm not sure why it would be unsuitable in this forum, unless it's somehow related to antagonistic, us-vs-them, polarized partisan politics.
I thought the OP wouldn't want to wander off, but it seems he;s okay with it.

I presume the point about the calculus made by SanteriSatama is the status of infinitesimals and the modeling of the number line as a series of them. The approach works for calculations, but it has philosophical problems. Is this the issue? .
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Peter Jones wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:46 am I presume the point about the calculus made by SanteriSatama is the status of infinitesimals and the modeling of the number line as a series of them. The approach works for calculations, but it has philosophical problems. Is this the issue? .
A major part of the issue. Philosophy of language, continuity, infinity and time are inseparable from it, so it's a handful. :)

While the most general level can't be kept apart, mathematical focus offers hope to be able to discuss with more clarity.

A natural starting point/region could be sense-making of the key disagreements in the Brouwer-Hilbert controversy (in which Weyl played on both sides), wider implications of those disagreement, and how they look now in the light of advances in computation theory, Wittgenstein-Badiou "controversy", etc.