What is the strongest argument against Bernardo's monistic idealism and/or non-duality?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
SanteriSatama

Re: What is the strongest argument against Bernardo's monistic idealism and/or non-duality?

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:09 pm Santeri ... What 'substance' are you referring to?
The concept of substance, not any specific value given to that variable in this case.

I consider idealism primarily a methodological choice, because it's much less limiting than materialism. And materialists make their methodological choice for the same reason in inverse, they want the limiting aspect. The technologial teleology of mechanical repeatability requires the limiting aspect. In the holistic look, our ability to build machines and mechanize functions, is of course part of mental causation.

BTW, do you ever wonder how and why push out mineral goo out of our earlobes? Not the vax stuff in the ear channel, the lobe stuff that I just scratched plenty under my nail.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: What is the strongest argument against Bernardo's monistic idealism and/or non-duality?

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

The concept of substance, not any specific value given to that variable in this case.

A concept/idea that as far a I can tell is not comprised of any substance.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Santeri,
PS: a comment on terminology. A codependent relation does not mean dualism. It means relation.
Intuitively, I have always grokked and experienced Mitakuye Oyasin (All My Relations) as expressing both self and no-self. My sense of otherness co-arises with a sense of no-other. My sense of duality co-arises with a sense of non-duality. Somehow, this seems obvious to me.

In terms of the image, the people standing in line for the ascent do not see the shadow created by the light, which is hovering over them. As an interesting experiment testing for ascent bias, folks might show this image to others asking, "What do you see?" How many mention the shadow? And, once the shadow is pointed out, how many can no longer see it? This is the alchemy of awareness.

The image is entitled "Sightseeing" and was created by Jaime Lluch who goes by elsilencio at Flickr.
Last edited by Lou Gold on Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:41 pm

A concept/idea that as far a I can tell is not comprised of any substance.
Agreed. However, this does not deny that concepts/ideas function as substantial forces in our lives. Aho Mitakuye Oyasin
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

However, this does not deny that concepts/ideas function as substantial forces in our lives.

Welcome to idealism, which requires only one ontological prime ... an idea-manifesting Mind.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:46 pm In terms of the image, the people standing in line for the ascent do not see the shadow created by the light, which is hovering over them. As an interesting experiment testing for ascent bias, folks might show this image to others asking, "What do you see?" How many mention the shadow? And, once the shadow is pointed out, how many can no longer see it? This is the alchemy of awareness.
Ah yes. After you asked me to look again, I did so only with minds eye, and started to associate the image/question with Plato's cave, wondering if the "message" was that only one can go visit the light at a time. And in my imperfect memory I wondered if and how shadow figured in that Platonic interpretation. :)
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:04 pm
However, this does not deny that concepts/ideas function as substantial forces in our lives.

Welcome to idealism, which requires only one ontological prime ... an idea-manifesting Mind.
An "idea-manifesting Mind" is a myth, just as BK points out in "More Than Allegory" that both dualism and non-dualism are myths. The rubber meets the road as believing in the truth of one or the other myth manifests substantial experiences in your life. I prefer non-dualism because it enlarges my palpable experience of the mysteriousness. I hold that God (M@L, Great Mysteriousness, Supreme Whatever) is instinctively creative and that this Will is fundamental to all that is.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

An "idea-manifesting Mind" is a myth ...

What an curious notion, a myth that pops out of a myth, absent a Mind. We seem to have been reading different books
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

SanteriSatama wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:35 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:46 pm In terms of the image, the people standing in line for the ascent do not see the shadow created by the light, which is hovering over them. As an interesting experiment testing for ascent bias, folks might show this image to others asking, "What do you see?" How many mention the shadow? And, once the shadow is pointed out, how many can no longer see it? This is the alchemy of awareness.
Ah yes. After you asked me to look again, I did so only with minds eye, and started to associate the image/question with Plato's cave, wondering if the "message" was that only one can go visit the light at a time. And in my imperfect memory I wondered if and how shadow figured in that Platonic interpretation. :)

The image is brilliant. There's even a true and a false shadow in it. :roll:
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

What are we to make of the one possibly staring at the shadows on the floor? Is a shadow 'false' due to being a function of reflected light?