What is the strongest argument against Bernardo's monistic idealism and/or non-duality?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
SanteriSatama

Re: What is the strongest argument against Bernardo's monistic idealism and/or non-duality?

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:07 pm The image is brilliant. There's even a true and a false shadow in it. :roll:
Brilliantly dark layering! Various grades of "true and false", as shadows from the light source in the roof behave almost but not exactly as expected, in various ways.
Lou Gold

Re: What is the strongest argument against Bernardo's monistic idealism and/or non-duality?

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:26 pm What are we to make of the one possibly staring at the shadows on the floor? Is a shadow 'false' due to being a function of reflected light?
Or overhead light? There are three paths of light in the image -- window, overhead light and reflected. The 'falsity' lies in seeing it only one way, which would be my generalized challenge to ontology. My admittedly imperfect way is to call the OP, "The Great Mysteriousness" and hold it lightly without grasping it.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:37 pm The rubber meets the road

Supreme Whatever
Vermin Supreme's rubber boot meets the sky. The only boot that a certain kind can agree to lick. :)
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:56 pm
An "idea-manifesting Mind" is a myth ...

What an curious notion, a myth that pops out of a myth, absent a Mind. We seem to have been reading different books
"Instinctively creative Will" is closer to sentience than sapience. Idea-manifesting mind of Ideal Ism associates more closely with meta-cognitive sapience.

Creative force comes from balls and ovaries. Mind, when not absent minded, can shape the force, but not force it.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Creative force comes from balls and ovaries.

If my dreams are any indication, I have very imaginative balls :o
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Astra052

Post by Astra052 »

SanteriSatama wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:47 am
Astra052 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:21 am Ultimately I think the biggest clash of ontologies is between physicalism and idealism.
The question was about strongest arguments against BK's approach. Physicalism fails at the starting line. Physicalist supervenience of mathematics - circularity of explaining mathematical cognition with math, leads in current form to Badiou's set theoretical ontology. Which anybody sane could not accept as materialism, and would consider a form of idealism. Badiou himself claims to be materialist, but he's that in the Marxist sense of dialectical materialism, not in the metaphysical/ontological sense of scientism. There's no obvious conflict between dialectical materialism and platonic idealism.
I mean this is kind of the point I was trying to make. I don't think there are really too many holes in BK's individual approach to idealism and the ones you could find are probably minor/up to personal taste. I think Kastrup's approach is probably the strongest idealist approach there is, especially if it is synthesized with Hoffman's approach. If you believe physicalism is wrong then I think Kastrup's idealism is pretty much the only ontology that makes sense and there really aren't any "strong" arguments against it. We know dualism is false, and really I don't think there are many other idealists who would look at Kastrup's views and go "no, this guy has it all wrong".
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:20 pm
Creative force comes from balls and ovaries.

If my dreams are any indication, I have very imaginative balls :o
So, how's the ole anima-animus integration coming along with you? You said something about the missus being more of hardline materialist STEM character, vs softy idealist you. :)
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

You said something about the missus being more of hardline materialist STEM character, vs softy idealist you.

Nah ... missus just unquestioningly and softly accepts the word of the high priests of a deprived paradigm, and prefers I don't spook her out with doubts concerning the 'substance' of reality ...
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

SanteriSatama wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:05 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:56 pm
An "idea-manifesting Mind" is a myth ...

What an curious notion, a myth that pops out of a myth, absent a Mind. We seem to have been reading different books
"Instinctively creative Will" is closer to sentience than sapience. Idea-manifesting mind of Ideal Ism associates more closely with meta-cognitive sapience.

Creative force comes from balls and ovaries. Mind, when not absent minded, can shape the force, but not force it.
Intuition works for me as you say. I feel and words just flow forth. When I was young, this was mistaken for smarts. Now that I'm old, it's mistaken for wisdom. But it never feels that way. The words just arrive. Symbols of consciousness, I guess.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:07 pm Nah ... missus just unquestioningly and softly accepts the word of the high priests of a deprived paradigm, and prefers I don't spook her out with doubts concerning the 'substance' of reality ...
Aren't also nearly all STEMs authoritarian followers like that? Who da high priests?