How is there a world that remains when not being perceived?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lou Gold

Re: How is there a world that remains when not being perceived?

Post by Lou Gold »

And yes, I heartily agree that BK leaves a great deal open for experimentation and elaboration in a forum such as this one. Idealism without a full accounting of psyche is strangely unsatisfying. Endless elaborations on the theme of non-duality do not accomplish that for me.
Yup. Non-duality gives openness and duality gives meaning, which is why we need both.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

dkpstarkey wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:50 am
Shaibei wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:35 pm If you are a solipsist m@l separates between object and subject, if you are an idealist it doesn't.
I do not know if the word consciousness is the word I would use for m@l since our consciousness experiences reality not only through thought and will, but also through senses, sight hearing and so on. We have no idea how M@L experiences reality and hence the contradictory statements between idealists themselves regarding its nature
If you've read BK's Decoding Jung... you may wonder about Jung's use of Psyche (in the fullest sense) being possibly equivalent to M@L. There are three segments of the full spectrum of Psyche for Jung, with the individual psyche in the middle. To me, this would be, if BK would have it so, a maturation of M@L, given a more fully-realized treatment in the form of Jung's Psyche.

Then the question is, would BK have it so? How can he not have been moved by this book, himself?
Yes, I read Bernardo's new and interesting book. As I commented elsewhere, in my opinion Jung's student Erich Neumann took things one step further.
As Neumann, I am more connected to what the Jewish tradition has to say on the subject. Kabbalah and Hassidism are rich in images, ideas and archetypes. For me, their importance is in the way they evoke aspiration for values, morals and meaning. Beyond that, accepting these descriptions is a matter of believing in revelation and the ability of a prophet or Kabbalist to draw these thoughts from divine mind. At the same time, a man, even a prophet, is only human and there is a gap between his thought and supreme thought.
On the philosophical level what is to be said on this subject is purely speculative
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
Astra052

Post by Astra052 »

I think Hoffman's idea around it makes the most sense to me. When you don't see something it still exists as code in the fabric of reality. Like when you play a video game and you get attacked from behind, even though you can't see the enemy and they aren't rendered they are still able to effect you because their code is still in the fabric of the game. When you look at things you render their code into the reality of human perception.
Brad Walker

Post by Brad Walker »

Objective reality is a precomputed simulation. (Berkeley's) God has already observed everything until heat death.
salvadorreyes371

Post by salvadorreyes371 »

Honestly, I mostly defer to Robert Lanza's conclusion detailed in his similar theory of "Biocentrism" - that being, that objects not in our perception both do and don't exist in a state of superposition, and return to objective existence once we percieve them again (sight, smell, hearing, etc). If idealism has some answer of its own, I'd be open to hearing it.
HelenAmery

Post by HelenAmery »

[/quote]
- In addition to hard problem there are multiple inconsistencies and explanatory gaps between materialistic model of causal and local material universe and resent QM experiments. To get around those problems, materialism has to either give up on the causality and locality of matter, or adopt the many-world interpretation.
[/quote]

Eugene can you say more or point me to resources about the “multiple inconsistencies and explanatory gaps” and what the QM experiments say instead?
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

HelenAmery wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:55 am Eugene can you say more or point me to resources about the “multiple inconsistencies and explanatory gaps” and what the QM experiments say instead?
Helen, there were a number of threads on the old forum where we discussed that, if you are interested please take a look, and if you are still not clear, feel free to ask further questions. I honestly have not been following the latest developments in the foundations of QM very closely, so I might be missing something, and if you spot that please let me know.
https://groups.google.com/g/metaphysica ... p_KNwjBwAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/metaphysica ... DoC19qBAAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/metaphysica ... DSd0mUAwAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/metaphysica ... AfW39vAQAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/metaphysica ... 0PjphLAwAJ
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Brad Walker wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:16 am Objective reality is a precomputed simulation. (Berkeley's) God has already observed everything until heat death.
Theology of Halting problem declared Berkeley's God (half-)dead.