Bernardo Takes a Strong Stand

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: Bernardo Takes a Strong Stand

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Is there an echo in here?
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Simon Adams

Re: Bernardo Takes a Strong Stand

Post by Simon Adams »

I understand Bernardo’s anger and it does seem to conflict with some of the things Pope Francis has said in the past (although I think it was gay civil unions he expressed support for, nor marriage). It also seems unkind, not something that comes from love. However I do also see the other side of this. As a catholic almost everything we do is a sin, someone cuts you up while driving and you swear at them, that’s a sin. Your neighbour has banging tunes on at 1am and you hope one of his speakers falls off the shelf onto his head, that’s a sin etc. The church sets the compass for an ‘ideal’ life, in full realisation that everyone will fall short at times.

With sexuality it’s tricky as there’s not anything a person could (or should) do to change that part of their nature, but marriage is one of the sacraments and no matter how liberal a pope is, I don’t think we will ever see that change. The issue is not really about homosexuality, the church will not be asking everyone to follow all the rules in Leviticus, it’s about the definition of marriage blessed as a sacrament.

Anyway I’m not fighting anyone on this as I don’t personally agree with everything the church does, but the nature of the church is to be a rock, and part of being a catholic is accepting that.
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine