Getting Real

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lou Gold

Getting Real

Post by Lou Gold »

I confess that the philosophical position of avoiding external compulsion seems to me as utter nonsense in light of Covid-19.

Here's how it is playing out in Brazil.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Soul_of_Shu

Re: Getting Real

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Do you really think that anyone here is so blindly ignorant so as to be incapable of googling this article, or many like it, and sharing it on social media, if so inclined. What exactly is your point of sharing it here, supposedly implying that we all live in some ivory tower of metaphysical speculation, with no concern for 'real life', without any reference to how it conforms to the specific focus of the forum?
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

I confess I'm ignorant of the philosophical position that we can avoid external compulsion. To me, external compulsion has always been a reality. However, it's possible that the interpretation of "external" may be challenged: some say our souls have contracted to put us through hell in order to evolve.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Ben Iscatus wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:21 pm However, it's possible that the interpretation of "external" may be challenged: some say our souls have contracted to put us through hell in order to evolve.
Breathing can challenge the interpretation of 'external' fairly well.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:58 pm I confess that the philosophical position of avoiding external compulsion seems to me as utter nonsense in light of Covid-19.

Perhaps you are referring to my Nietzschean critique of compulsion, and, as usual, referencing the lowest of the low hanging fruit as a "response". To which I respond, I have made clear the issue is metaphysical-spiritual freedom, which is focused on how we are perceiving and thinking about our-Self and our actions, rather than focusing on how societies are following this or that rule at this or that time for this or that 'benefit'. There is a huge difference between the two which should be rather obvious to anyone who takes the slightest interest in metaphysics.

Perhaps you were a politician in a previous life, Lou, because you are damn good at "responding" without actually saying anything of substance.
Last edited by AshvinP on Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Approximately 60 million human bodies meet their demise on this planet every year (never mind the non-human ones) and I expect that pretty much all of them have some tragic effect on someone's life, whether as profound grief, or angst, or some other kind of existential suffering. Are we to now start posting all the news stories associated with them, lest it be assumed that we don't care, hiding away in our ivory tower? Maybe I'll post a poll of participants here to ask if this is the way they want the forum to trend, so as to be just another version of social media platforms wherein to display to all our 'friends': "See how much I care about this that I'm willing to take the trouble of clicking on the share button?!"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:45 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:58 pm I confess that the philosophical position of avoiding external compulsion seems to me as utter nonsense in light of Covid-19.

Perhaps you are referring to my Nietzschean critique of compulsion, and, as usual, referencing the lowest of the low hanging fruit as a "response". To which I respond, I have made clear the issue is metaphysical-spiritual freedom, which is focused on how we are perceiving and thinking about our-Self and our actions, rather than focusing on how societies are following this or that rule at this or that time for this or that 'benefit'. There is a huge difference between the two which should be rather obvious to anyone who takes the slightest interest in metaphysics.

Perhaps you were a politician in a previous life, Lou, because you are damn good at "responding" without actually saying anything of substance.
Perhaps that's how process deals with substance.

Perhaps metaphysical-spiritual freedom can be oblivious to the obvious truths of the low-hanging fruits.
Last edited by Lou Gold on Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Perhaps we need some theme music ...

Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:02 pm Perhaps we need some theme music ...

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack
A crack in everything
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:59 pm
AshvinP wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:45 pm

Perhaps that's how process deals with substance.

Perhaps metaphysical-spiritual freedom can be oblivious to the obvious truths of the low-hanging fruits.
Perhaps... or it's just you derailing every metaphysical discussion you disagree with, finding a way to make it only about what you think is important, which weirdly excludes everything metaphysical on Meta Kastrup forum... oh well, to each his own I guess.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."