Getting Real

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
SanteriSatama

Re: Getting Real

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:19 pm Well, insofar as the heyoka game of the 'trickster' starts to become blatantly transparent, what's the trick?
Ah, now that's a question!

Trick or treat?
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

SanteriSatama wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:11 pmAh, now that's a question!

Trick or treat?
Hoping to see a convincing heyoka trickster costume first :mrgreen:
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

To understand the process dynamic, see my recent cognitive scientist story in response to Santeri here.

Everything I say here is a costume. Why do you not accept it?
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:55 pm
Shaibei wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:25 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:17 pm

Or, perhaps, pain is real but suffering is optional. Of course, as soon as one clings (positively or negatively) the opposite emerges.
Maybe. Although this is not an easy task. After writing the comment above I looked at it again and understood why "the quiet ones win". They do not need to talk because they win ... (alternatively they keep everything in their stomachs until things explode)

Exactly!

Martial art Aikido founder Ueshiba said something like, "I have placed myself in harmony with the Universe. The mere thought of attacking me will defeat the attacker. I call this harmony Love." It may be that silence does not work because it wins but because it transcends (lets go of) winning.
What I meant to say is that sometimes the need to speak stems from a lack, and silence may indicate the fullness of the inner world. But we are normative people so we talk. I guess what this guy is aiming for is called "flow." And flow is really an interesting phenomenon of merging with reality. A basketball player with a game, a pianist with a melody etc. A phenomenon that actually occurs when thinking and self are relaxed, making room for the quick instinct, which actually increases our ability. At the same time I do not think it indicates that reality is instinctive but point to our limitation of perceiving it with our limited intellect.
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Shaibei wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:59 pm
Shaibei wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:25 pm

Maybe. Although this is not an easy task. After writing the comment above I looked at it again and understood why "the quiet ones win". They do not need to talk because they win ... (alternatively they keep everything in their stomachs until things explode)

Exactly!

Martial art Aikido founder Ueshiba said something like, "I have placed myself in harmony with the Universe. The mere thought of attacking me will defeat the attacker. I call this harmony Love." It may be that silence does not work because it wins but because it transcends (lets go of) winning.
What I meant to say is that sometimes the need to speak stems from a lack, and silence may indicate the fullness of the inner world. But we are normative people so we talk. I guess what this guy is aiming for is called "flow." And flow is really an interesting phenomenon of merging with reality. A basketball player with a game, a pianist with a melody etc. A phenomenon that actually occurs when thinking and self are relaxed, making room for the quick instinct, which actually increases our ability. At the same time I do not think it indicates that reality is instinctive but point to our limitation of perceiving it with our limited intellect.

Which is true for the perspective that we are sinners who have missed the mark, a widespread pov. One might even argue that it is the God-given Null Hypothesis underpinning scientific inquiry.
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:14 pm

Exactly!

Which is true for the perspective that we are sinners who have missed the mark, a widespread pov. One might even argue that it is the God-given Null Hypothesis underpinning scientific inquiry.
I do not see how this has to do with being "sinners."
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:29 pm Hoping to see a convincing heyoka trickster costume first :mrgreen:
I heard that the little girl with the most convincing costume was called Maya. Didn't you see her, when you stood in the doorway?
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:46 pmEverything I say here is a costume. Why do you not accept it?

I should think a good trickster costume is one that would be completely fallen for, otherwise the trick is exposed. Maybe try some new costumes ;)
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:46 pm Everything I say here is a costume. Why do you not accept it?
Cause when on stage, you keep constantly stripping? :D

To stay in the role, you should keep at least the thongs on, with the straps where the money goes... ;)
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Shaibei wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:21 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:14 pm

I do not see how this has to do with being "sinners."
My understanding is that in old Hebrew 'sin' means to 'miss the target' -- to err. Trial-and-Error is essential to investigation. Most experiments in evolution (mutations) and in science simply delete errors or stuff that doesn't 'work'. The reason elders are considered wiser than kids is more mistakes.