latest interview with Bernardo

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

latest interview with Bernardo

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

The lobbying has begun with a comment I made on this youtube video to get BK on board with a chat with Jordan Peterson, along with an email I sent to BK with the same message ... Get busy with the 'likes'👍

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Soul_of_Shu

Re: latest interview with Bernardo

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Update: Bernardo just replied to my email to say that if invited by JP to be on his podcast, then he is game. Best now to focus on persuading JP ... I'm guessing it could also surpass 1,500,000 views.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

As well, my comment/suggestion to Jordan, just a few minutes ago via the Jonathan Pageau youtube interview, to invite BK on his podcast, has already received a 👍
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Nice! To be honest, though, I never thought getting BK on board would be difficult... there's a massive audience to be gained by doing so. The challenge is getting JP to see something BK wrote in regards to Jung and idealism which will intrigue him enough to consider it. I imagine there are a lot of other 'public intellectuals' already in queue to speak with him. Posting on the YouTube videos is a good idea, especially the newer ones. I think we need a solid quote from DJM to use, and then multiple people can post it on every video.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:38 pm Nice! To be honest, though, I never thought getting BK on board would be difficult... there's a massive audience to be gained by doing so. The challenge is getting JP to see something BK wrote in regards to Jung and idealism which will intrigue him enough to consider it. I imagine there are a lot of other 'public intellectuals' already in queue to speak with him. Posting on the YouTube videos is a good idea, especially the newer ones. I think we need a solid quote from DJM to use, and then multiple people can post it on every video.

True enough ... I'll start looking through my copy of DJM for some 'teasers' 🤔
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Thanks for posting this latest interview, Dana.

Bernardo gets increasingly clear and clever in expressing himself in these interviews, which is pretty amazing considering how clear he has always been. The new image of television sets on opposite sides of a football pitch to demonstrate quantum entanglement was, I thought, super.

One area where he may need to express himself more precisely, though is when he says that nature's non-reflective suffering in the past 3 billion years has been unimaginable, but later points out that actually, since only metacognitive creatures can suffer (us, elephants, dolphins, gorillas, chimps etc), other creatures merely feel pain. So it must be said by this reckoning that strictly speaking the earthworm being cut up by ants in the garden does not suffer...

Also, maybe a bit more on the role of the ego - since it is the ego that nature has invested so much in evolving in order for MAL to become self-reflective, but at the same time, the ego has no control over the direction of our lives, as we are mere corks on Nature's stormy ocean. The two positions (the ego's importance and yet its simultaneous unimportance) might on the face of it seem incommensurate, so a more nuanced discussion of these polar positions would, I think, prove useful, particularly as there is a kind of implication that MAL wants us to suffer (wants to thwart our own personal egoic will), since suffering leads to the very self-reflection that MAL seeks for itself.

Thirdly, a bit of speculation, considering that Bernardo says there's no scientific reason why we only became capable of symbolic thinking with its attendant self-reflection 30,000 to 50,000 years ago instead of 200,000 years ago when we evolved. We are the naked ape, and naked apes are sometimes going to get cold at night, even in Africa (or in The Garden of Eden). We're going to think, "I am cold" and look for something more than leaves, such as an animal skins, to cover ourselves. This could be the sense in which we took a bite from the apple on the tree of knowledge, becoming aware that we were naked (rather than the rather dubious idea of shame brought on by sexual self-awareness). Perhaps Africa was never cold or homo sapiens had thick bodily hair until 50,000 years ago, but otherwise this need to cover our nakedness, due to feeling cold, killing for more than mere food, seems to me to give rise to at least a primitive kind of self-reflection ("now how can I warm myself up -that cheetah's fur coat looks kind of cosy...")