Posting of newsworthy articles

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

Posting of newsworthy articles

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

I'm seeking some clarification here regarding the posting of newsworthy articles as topics of discussion, of the kind that one can find just about anywhere nowadays, but which have no metaphysical focus or intention written into them ~ e.g. Lou's 'topic' linking to the Covid crisis in Brazil, and another such article posted today. Whatever Lou's motivation in this case, I feel that it's important that the forum stay within its intended metaphysical focus, and so no matter how topical or important such newsworthy stories may be, they should have some clearly focused metaphysical intention written within the story itself, above and beyond just being newsworthy. I understand that there can be a subjective grey area, and one needs to grant some leeway, but in the case of the Covid articles Lou has shared, I'm not seeing much grey area, but just straight up journalism intended solely to do what journalism is meant to do, far from what metaphysics is meant to do. However, feedback is welcome here, as to whether or not others feel that I'm being unreasonable here in wanting to keep the forum from becoming just a mini version of Facebook.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Re: Posting of newsworthy articles

Post by Lou Gold »

I clearly stated the metaphysical reason for my recent post as "What does the sanctity of individual free choice mean in a practical world dominated by governments, corporations, subsidies and contracts?" However, I no longer see the post. Does this mean that you "cancelled it", perhaps thinking that metaphysics need not be confronted with challenging examples journalistically and investigatively reported?
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou ... yes, after chatting with Simon, and pending further feedback from other participants here, I'm putting on hold posting of such articles that in and of themselves have no metaphysical focus or intention written into them. If there is some clear consensus for or against this, we'll take it from there.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:29 pm I clearly stated the metaphysical reason for my recent post as "What does the sanctity of individual free choice mean in a practical world dominated by governments, corporations, subsidies and contracts?" However, I no longer see the post. Does this mean that you "cancelled it", perhaps thinking that metaphysics need not be confronted with challenging examples journalistically and investigatively reported?
PS: Can you request feedback without posting the article for folks to contemplate in context of my stated metaphysical question?
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:41 pmPS: Can you request feedback without posting the article for folks to contemplate in context of my stated metaphysical question?

Well, we could get into metaphysical discussions about all kinds of topical news articles, but what I'm asking is should they be clear examples of articles that have some metaphysical focus or intention written into the article itself? Perhaps post one such example here that we may assess.
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

I think posts "on the fringe" would benefit from being visible.

Allow the post, and then lock it, stating the reason why it is locked. This will provide a kind of transparent self-documenting narrative for the forum policy.

Hiding stuff is never good.

For blatant hate-speech, profanities, etc. That's a different case.
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

As per references to linked news articles:
The post should state what specifically in this particular article makes it metaphysically relevant.

Maybe there's a quote in there, which is eerily similar to some metaphysical text. Or maybe some event maps back to what someone predicted would happen if idealism would become more common.
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Some people are good at stretching the boundaries and giving the moderator a teasing time. Moderator, be firm! Or be lax. Or both.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Martin_ wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:04 pm I think posts "on the fringe" would benefit from being visible.

Allow the post, and then lock it, stating the reason why it is locked. This will provide a kind of transparent self-documenting narrative for the forum policy.

Hiding stuff is never good.

Well, the post on the Covid crisis in Brazil is an example, which is not 'hidden'. This mainstream Covid vaccine article that Lou shared is also shared on Facebook, and so is hardly in the category of 'cancelled', and can be discussed there. ... https://www.facebook.com/lou.gold
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

And at Facebook folks are surely not discussing in metaphysical terms issues such as individual free choice or in the specific context of BK's alter constructions (whirlpools, DID, etc) the glaring absence of alter structures such as governments, corporations, economies or the earth itself. The challenge here is not to divert from metaphysics to covid but to see what metaphysics can contribute to practical existential realities where the rubber meets the road. If metaphysics can't or seeks to "cancel" hard problems, I see little hope that Idealism might become the guiding consensus. The deeper question is whether ideas cause events or events cause ideas. My answer is both/and which is, I acknowledge, an awkward fundamental position. Mitakuye Oyasin and Vivas to The Great Mysteriousness