Posting of newsworthy articles

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Posting of newsworthy articles

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:39 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:18 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:58 pmPS: I thought the NYT article was damn good investigative journalism. Interesting that you saw it as "solely politically focused and charged with countless provocative, arguably partisan points that could be politically contested." Similar might be said about BK's recent rant about the papal decision on gay marriage. I waited more than I day for you to post it here but you didn't and so I did. Makes me suspect that you just don't like politics. :roll:
BK's Church article clearly had the kind of nuanced metaphysical focus and intention written into it that I feel should be a prerequisite here. Curiously, BK also shared that Church article on Facebook, and then explicitly stated that he was checking out of the comments section, asking folks to behave themselves :lol:
I completely agree that BK's article was full of "nuanced metaphysical focus and intention." So, why did you (or he) not post it here on the metaphysical forum?

Please remember that this is really not about you, me or BK. I'm performing a role whose mission is to shine a light on what is hidden in the dark, which often turns out to be politics.
I relate this metaphysical forum to a good form of art like a movie - its various 'scenes' (posts) carry political implications but never (or very rarely) explicitly. A terrible movie, in contrast, is anything but subtle and beats you over the head with political messaging in every other scene, as if that was the sole purpose of making the movie in the first place. Let's stick with the good movies and scenes.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:32 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:21 pmThe post was made in the Essay section of this BK site of which this forum is another section. I'm not sure what you mean by "BK's blog." Does he have one?
Yes, BK's website is a blog
Good to know the technical lingo. Perhaps, I check the blog, otherwise known as this website.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
ScottRoberts

Post by ScottRoberts »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:14 pm I'm seeking some clarification here regarding the posting of newsworthy articles as topics of discussion, of the kind that one can find just about anywhere nowadays, but which have no metaphysical focus or intention written into them ~ e.g. Lou's 'topic' linking to the Covid crisis in Brazil, and another such article posted today.
I think such articles, or links to them, should not be posted. If one reads an article on a controversial topic with no metaphysical discussion within the article, but you think there is an interesting metaphysical aspect to it, you should just write a post about that aspect, with no reference to the article.

As for BK, he is of course entitled to post whatever he wants on his blog. That does not mean that all his topics on his blog are suitable for discussion in this forum. One can, after all, post comments on his blog.
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

ScottRoberts wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:07 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:14 pm I'm seeking some clarification here regarding the posting of newsworthy articles as topics of discussion, of the kind that one can find just about anywhere nowadays, but which have no metaphysical focus or intention written into them ~ e.g. Lou's 'topic' linking to the Covid crisis in Brazil, and another such article posted today.
I think such articles, or links to them, should not be posted. If one reads an article on a controversial topic with no metaphysical discussion within the article, but you think there is an interesting metaphysical aspect to it, you should just write a post about that aspect, with no reference to the article.
I disagree. You should write a post about that aspect AND refer to the article since it supports your argument.
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

In dream space during my afternoon nap, I received the following message:

Mission accomplished.
The Emperor has no clothes.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Lou Gold wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:14 am In dream space during my afternoon nap, I received the following message:

Mission accomplished.
Lou ... such transparent taunting only serves to support my own dreamtime intuitions.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:10 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:14 am In dream space during my afternoon nap, I received the following message:

Mission accomplished.
Lou ... such transparent taunting only serves to support my own dreamtime intuitions.
VIVAS to our dreams.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Just bumping this up ... I'm assuming that any currently active participants who are likely to have checked this out have already done so ~ given there's 137 views and only 119 members. However, I was hoping for a bit more feedback regarding any concerns about my suggestion that when creating topics based on some topical news article, such articles should have some nuanced metaphysical focus and intention written into the article itself, and that the follow up discussion stay similarly focused. If anyone else feels this is unreasonable, please feel free to speak up ~ I won't be insulted. Otherwise I can only assume that there is no concern over this suggestion.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:04 pm Just bumping this up ... I'm assuming that any currently active participants who are likely to have checked this out have already done so ~ given there's 137 views and only 119 members. However, I was hoping for a bit more feedback regarding any concerns about my suggestion that when creating topics based on some topical news article, such articles should have some nuanced metaphysical focus and intention written into the article itself, and that the follow up discussion stay similarly focused. If anyone else feels this is unreasonable, please feel free to speak up ~ I won't be insulted. Otherwise I can only assume that there is no concern over this suggestion.
I totally support this.

Just one other suggestion/option. Another way we can approach this is to create a separate section to discuss topics not directly related to metaphysics. This is often done on other thematical forums. There is of course a good chance that it might become difficult to moderate and people will start discussing politics and other similar hot topics which may lead to heated discussions. I understand that this might be too much burden to handle for our admin and moderator, so I would leave it to their discretion.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:37 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:04 pm Just bumping this up ... I'm assuming that any currently active participants who are likely to have checked this out have already done so ~ given there's 137 views and only 119 members. However, I was hoping for a bit more feedback regarding any concerns about my suggestion that when creating topics based on some topical news article, such articles should have some nuanced metaphysical focus and intention written into the article itself, and that the follow up discussion stay similarly focused. If anyone else feels this is unreasonable, please feel free to speak up ~ I won't be insulted. Otherwise I can only assume that there is no concern over this suggestion.
I totally support this.

Just one other suggestion/option. Another way we can approach this is to create a separate section to discuss topics not directly related to metaphysics. This is often done on other thematical forums. There is of course a good chance that it might become difficult to moderate and people will start discussing politics and other similar hot topics which may lead to heated discussions. I understand that this might be too much burden to handle for our admin and moderator, so I would leave it to their discretion.
I wouldn't go down that route either. There's a well know maxim among poker players - the game with all the gambling action will attract all the players. No limit Texas hold em' game is like a metaphysical section, with players who are patient, disciplined, skillful and looking to improve, while pot limit Omaha Hi-Lo is the political section, which turns those same players into degenerate gamblers. The best way to kill a hold em' game is to start an Omaha game.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"