Posting of newsworthy articles

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lou Gold

Re: Posting of newsworthy articles

Post by Lou Gold »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:04 am Just some further thoughts on this ... I very much doubt, given the level of thinking in this forum, that anyone here would dispute, or need be constantly reminded, that dysfunctional, us-vs-them politics as usual, as a function of a deprived and foundering paradigm, is clearly not serving us well. And as can be readily observed and shared, if one needs any blatant examples of this then just read or watch the mainstream news on any given day, never mind it being copied-and-pasted all over social media by the second. Surely there are valid articles to be written and read, and discussions to be had, about how a given metaphysical premise can have implications with respect to addressing the above ~ e.g. how might a paradigm based in the primacy and unicity of consciousness make some significant difference, or not as the case may be? And so those would be the kind of metaphysically nuanced articles I feel would be most pertinent to share here, rather than just rebroadcasting yet another glaring example of what's not working, coming from a perspective still deeply mired in the mindset at the core of the problematic 'news', however well researched it may be.

As an offering of such a nuanced article, resonated or argued with, consider this ... Source Temple and the Great Reset
Shu, I think you'll find the obit on the death of Adam Zagajewski truly newsworthy. Hopefully, folks can find a route around the paywall.

Here's a taste of the poet:

Try to praise the mutilated world.
Remember June's long days,
and wild strawberries, drops of rosé wine.
The nettles that methodically overgrow
the abandoned homesteads of exiles.
You must praise the mutilated world.
You watched the stylish yachts and ships;
one of them had a long trip ahead of it,
while salty oblivion awaited others.
You've seen the refugees going nowhere,
you've heard the executioners sing joyfully.
You should praise the mutilated world.
Remember the moments when we were together
in a white room and the curtain fluttered.
Return in thought to the concert where music flared.
You gathered acorns in the park in autumn
and leaves eddied over the earth's scars.
Praise the mutilated world
and the gray feather a thrush lost,
and the gentle light that strays and vanishes
and returns.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

SanteriSatama wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:37 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:45 pm Oh, High Linguist, you travelled way beyond my paygrade.
A poem from the book, in English translation of questionable accuracy:

I am
alpha and omega
mercy and sentence
Jason and Medea

Who you?

You are the bear claw
you slow down and turn
half way around in yourself.
The cut embroiders the past,
leaves it for beholding,
turns back towards becoming.
In the runs of times you let the senses
do gymnastics, the wind blow.

Shelter! Shelter! Shelter!
Fallen leaves on a forest path
swirling in a sudden wind.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:38 pm
Here's a taste of the poet:

Try to praise the mutilated world.
Remember June's long days,
and wild strawberries, drops of rosé wine.
The nettles that methodically overgrow
the abandoned homesteads of exiles.
You must praise the mutilated world.
You watched the stylish yachts and ships;
one of them had a long trip ahead of it,
while salty oblivion awaited others.
You've seen the refugees going nowhere,
you've heard the executioners sing joyfully.
You should praise the mutilated world.
Remember the moments when we were together
in a white room and the curtain fluttered.
Return in thought to the concert where music flared.
You gathered acorns in the park in autumn
and leaves eddied over the earth's scars.
and returns.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

SanteriSatama wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:51 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:38 pm
and returns.
Here is my heart throb

Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

Off topic much?
However, feedback is welcome here, as to whether or not others feel that I'm being unreasonable here in wanting to keep the forum from becoming just a mini version of Facebook.
I agree with the sentiment, this place shouldn't be a link-fest. On the other hand, i think we should be able to refer (using links) to material, be it news-articles, opinion-pieces, or anything else which supports the case your'e making in the post. But, the reference shoud be a supporting piece, not the point of the post.

I'm reminded of the House Rules:
All Topics, without exception, must first and foremost pertain to metaphysics, and directly related topics.

No promoting of partisan politics, and/or ideological or religious evangelizing, Some leeway will be given in referencing the political implications of certain metaphysical positions, as long as it doesn't degenerate into antagonistic, polarized polemic.
In the end; it's a matter of degree. I'm reminded of sports-referees who all follow the same set of rules, but interpret them differently, leading to very different games depending who's the referee. That's fine really. The key is consistency.

I suggest that whatever the mods decide, it's amended to the house rules. This gives clarity both for the posters and the mods.
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Martin_ wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:56 amI agree with the sentiment, this place shouldn't be a link-fest. On the other hand, i think we should be able to refer (using links) to material, be it news-articles, opinion-pieces, or anything else which supports the case your'e making in the post. But, the reference should be a supporting piece, not the point of the post.

Martin ... Duly noted. I concur that when expressing a metaphysical premise, it might be useful to refer to topical news stories as examples of how that premise plays out in the everyday world, once the premise has been clearly put forth from the outset. Also, as stated, I'm open to granting some leeway when the metaphysical premise has political implications, as long as it doesn't just degenerate into partisan political polemic. However, if the premise is simply to say that the current paradigm based in materialism is deprived and foundering, along with its symptomatic dysfunctional politics, and to make as case for how an alternative paradigm might make a difference, I'm not sure how many rebroadcasted news references we need to support this premise, and when that just becomes another redundant link-fest. No doubt it'll always be somewhat subjective, hence my inclination to seek some consensus here.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Kids do play. :D
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

As it now seems unlikely that I'll get any more feedback on this, and given the input, or lack thereof, regarding concerns over the suggestion that topical news stories posted as topics of discussion should have some nuanced metaphysical focus and intention written into them, it has only served to reaffirm that this suggestion is not unreasonable. And so from now on this will be applied as a general rule. And if the source material is only available via a paid subscription, and therefore can't otherwise be accessed/assessed, then please post a significant excerpt from the article that makes clear the metaphysical focus and intention that is written into it. When I get a chance, I will update the house rules to reflect this change. Any further issues with this decision can be discussed with me via PM.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.