Nolan Movies - Especially Tenet

For posting metaphysically relevant art-forms: e.g. films, literature, poetry, music, etc. As everyone has different sensibilities, posters are encouraged to not post such content in other forum threads, but instead refer thread participants to pertinent content here.
AshvinP

Nolan Movies - Especially Tenet

Post by AshvinP »

Dana and I were discussing this a bit on the old digs. Has anyone seen Tenet yet? I'd love to explore the metaphysical themes but don't want to spoil for anyone who hasn't yet.

Memento and Inception are good candidates to discuss as well.

Tenet Trailer -
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Re: Nolan Movies - Especially Tenet

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ashvin .... Yet to watch Tenet, but when I do I'll get back to you with some thoughts if feeling so inclined at that time ~ since these days, for whatever unknown reason, I seem more and more drawn to quietude. Btw, great signature you affixed to your posts ... Nice to see that anima side unveiled.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

I was inspired by yours, but I'm not nearly as poetically minded, so I just searched through some Rilke quotes. Synchronically, after deciding on that one, I came across this "Quest" drawing that is now my profile avatar.

No rush on Tenet... you may need to have a couple viewings, anyway. Nolan and quietude definitely do not mix.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

It takes a little while to get your head around Tenet. It’s interesting that they have it such that it’s the intention to drop the reverse entropy bullet that picks it up...

(I don’t think that’s too much of a spoiler?)
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Simon Adams wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:12 pm It takes a little while to get your head around Tenet. It’s interesting that they have it such that it’s the intention to drop the reverse entropy bullet that picks it up...

(I don’t think that’s too much of a spoiler?)

For sure, Nolan explores the Fate-Free Will polarity in depth, while only having a few lines of exposition related to it. In that bullet scene, the scientist character remarks, "don't try to understand it, just feel it". She is speaking to the audience too, because that's exactly when things start to ramp up and "just feeling it" allows us to follow along with what's happening more effortlessly.
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

Yes you do need to just follow it along at some level. I feel like I need to watch it again some time, even though you see most of the relevant scenes twice ...
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Simon Adams wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:50 pm Yes you do need to just follow it along at some level. I feel like I need to watch it again some time, even though you see most of the relevant scenes twice ...
It's a real shame it came out during lockdowns and theater closing. The theatrical experience of this movie was beyond words. Although I will admit it is easier to hear what the characters are saying with a shitty sound system.
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

I have a very small lounge (you'd probably call it a closet from a US perspective), but I have a great AVR setup which goes some way towards a theatrical experience. It's definitely one of those films where you feel like you've seen a new experience. I think the problem I had is that I'd read a few things saying how amazing and brilliant it was beforehand, and it's always difficult for things to live up to such high praise...

It's funny how these things change over time. When I first saw The Matrix in the cinema that was one where you came out of the cinema thinking you'd really had a new experience. But I saw it again a few months ago and it looks quite dated now.
St Augustine
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Simon Adams wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:17 pm I have a very small lounge (you'd probably call it a closet from a US perspective), but I have a great AVR setup which goes some way towards a theatrical experience. It's definitely one of those films where you feel like you've seen a new experience. I think the problem I had is that I'd read a few things saying how amazing and brilliant it was beforehand, and it's always difficult for things to live up to such high praise...

It's funny how these things change over time. When I first saw The Matrix in the cinema that was one where you came out of the cinema thinking you'd really had a new experience. But I saw it again a few months ago and it looks quite dated now.
I would liken it to reading a great work on philosophy. The first time you read it, you will be too caught up in figuring out what all the terminology means to appreciate it. You may even put the book down and revisit it a few months later. Eventually you figure out what all the rave was about.

Setting high expectations is usually a problem for films too, but Nolan's name will be synonymous with high expectations no matter what given his previous works. This one actually had relatively bad reviews. It's only 70-76% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

When characters loop back on themselves, wouldn't they go a bit mad. They have seen how things play out the first time around, and no matter what they do the same events must occur - a bit like being in locked in syndrome while the world plays out?