The nature of 'relations' in Mind at Large

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
findingblanks

Re: The nature of 'relations' in Mind at Large

Post by findingblanks »

But the chemicals ARE dependent on my body to appear.

The chemicals are like the neuron.

You are having a great experience playing ping pong. When I look at you, your great experience *appears* to me as neurons lighting up (or however I am representing your body).

This is where we find the correlates between the neurons (which MY body produces as appearances when I look at your experience) and your experience.

So the activity of the neurons is objective in that I don't just make them up out of nowhere and they do correspond to your experience, but they are not the experience itself and they are definitely not its cause.

So back to the chemicals.

I watch one chemical get poured into another chemical and I see the highly details effects that take place. That is like looking at your neurons interact as you experience ping-pong. The chemicals and all that I see are dependent on my localized human alter.

The experience going on 'behind' the chemicals (Mind at Large's experience) is something else altogether.

I'm trying to ask how we relate the objective relations we find in the chemicals (or neurons) to the experiencing of which they are partial images.

I think this is where we hit the problem of how our language and perceptual systems simply did not evolve to deal with the actual nature of reality and, therefore, it is hard to find how to even conceptualize the relationship between this kind of objectivity (the chemicals effects) and that which they are images of (the experience of the Cosmos).

Anyway, thanks so much for hanging in there with me. It has helped me become more clear as to why this is such an issue :)
AshvinP

Re: The nature of 'relations' in Mind at Large

Post by AshvinP »

findingblanks wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:16 pm But the chemicals ARE dependent on my body to appear.

The chemicals are like the neuron.

You are having a great experience playing ping pong. When I look at you, your great experience *appears* to me as neurons lighting up (or however I am representing your body).

This is where we find the correlates between the neurons (which MY body produces as appearances when I look at your experience) and your experience.

So the activity of the neurons is objective in that I don't just make them up out of nowhere and they do correspond to your experience, but they are not the experience itself and they are definitely not its cause.

So back to the chemicals.

I watch one chemical get poured into another chemical and I see the highly details effects that take place. That is like looking at your neurons interact as you experience ping-pong. The chemicals and all that I see are dependent on my localized human alter.

The experience going on 'behind' the chemicals (Mind at Large's experience) is something else altogether.

I'm trying to ask how we relate the objective relations we find in the chemicals (or neurons) to the experiencing of which they are partial images.

I think this is where we hit the problem of how our language and perceptual systems simply did not evolve to deal with the actual nature of reality and, therefore, it is hard to find how to even conceptualize the relationship between this kind of objectivity (the chemicals effects) and that which they are images of (the experience of the Cosmos).

Anyway, thanks so much for hanging in there with me. It has helped me become more clear as to why this is such an issue :)
I think I may understand what you are getting at. If not, then just consider this an aside to contemplate and discuss.

The appearances of the chemicals' interaction (and the mineral realm in general) conceal the ideal relations which give rise to them. That is especially true of the mineral realm as contrasted with the plant-animal realms. It is through our thinking about the relations of the appearances within that realm that we unconceal some necessary aspects of those ideal relations. For ex., the laws of chemistry we infer from the interactions. Yet those laws are still only a partial percept-concept of the ideal relations and theoretically we can think through to even more necessary ideal relations of percepts-concepts which give rise to the laws of chemistry. So, in a nutshell, it is our thinking activity which connects the objective relations of appearances with the ideal relations which they are partial images of.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"