What is love?

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Ed Konderla

What is love?

Post by Ed Konderla »

What is love and especially unconditional love? How does unconditional love manifest itself? Does classifying an individual or group as "victims" really show unconditional love and how does that fit with Idealism? Is love a human emotion or is it some kind of "fundamental" state like consciousness?
Ben Iscatus

Re: What is love?

Post by Ben Iscatus »

As I see it, unconditional love might also be called unconditioned love, that is, unconditioned by evolution in a planetary environment. Therefore it has no preferences, no favouritism for relatives, partners or tribe. It is a general sense of connectedness with the whole of creation, since it does not recognise the separation brought about by its own dissociation. In other words, it is the Ocean's love for itself, unconcerned by the differences in its waves and currents. Wild tsunami or still lagoon, all are part of one body of water - the ocean.
Ed Konderla

Post by Ed Konderla »

So much of the worlds dialogue today appears to be driven by narratives. These narratives have titles and demands that seem to have no definitions and their validity is not to be questioned. If one accepts Idealism as being the best bet for a description of the big picture it allows one a pretty solid starting point to expound on these concepts. I have definition of love in my mind although hard to articulate I probably could if push comes to shove. With so many throwing the term around as a justification for demands and action I'm curious what this group thinks. If you tell me to take an action based on a concept in my mind one should have to be able to explain that concept. Many use the attitude that "If you have to ask the question you wouldn't understand the answer"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Ed Konderla wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:45 pm What is love and especially unconditional love? How does unconditional love manifest itself? Does classifying an individual or group as "victims" really show unconditional love and how does that fit with Idealism? Is love a human emotion or is it some kind of "fundamental" state like consciousness?

Not sure that this answers the question, 'what is love?', with the answer apparently being 'everything', but I've found it helpful nonetheless ...

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

In terms of idealism, as noted before me, love has an essential feature of being, a feature of integration of what was once unified. Such an attribute of integration you find for example in Spinoza's intellectual love. But I do not think that Spinoza's moral attitude, which is in some ways close to that of Nietzsche, is anything to brag about.
A more beautiful moral conception is to be understood in Schopenhauer. But I do not think Schopenhauer is a good example of how such a moral approach is realized. To me, Schopenhauer is an example of the human need to create a beautiful world of ideals, to say much but to do little.
I don't know about general philosophy, but I am familiar with the character of Judah Leon Abravanel. He literally saw love as the foundation of reality. He was influenced by the doctrine of Solomon ibn Gabirol who saw "The Will" as the root of reality. In his eyes in love the lover
loses himself and becomes a stranger to himself within the beloved. The lover, the love and the beloved become one. In Hebrew, by the way, the word 'one' (אחד) has the same numerical value as the word 'love' (אהבה).
When it comes to the practical implications of these ideas, I think moral issues may arise with "unconditional love," and here I am close to the views of Jordan Peterson
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Another curiosity is the apparent correlation between this revelation of unconditional love/bliss with the all-pervasive 'Divine' light spoken of with respect to mystical awakenings, NDE events, some psychedelic trips ~ especially with 5-Me0-dmt ~ such that they seem inextricable, and presumably is that same light spoken of in the revelation, "I am the light of the world", in that it might also have been stated as "I am the love-light of the world" ~ not to mention that unconditioned 'luminous' mind spoken of in some Buddhist traditions, albeit I'm not sure that all these references are equatable.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Btw, I trust that Cleric can shed some 'light' on this topic.
Ed Konderla

Post by Ed Konderla »

Shaibei wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:27 pm In terms of idealism, as noted before me, love has an essential feature of being, a feature of integration of what was once unified. Such an attribute of integration you find for example in Spinoza's intellectual love. But I do not think that Spinoza's moral attitude, which is in some ways close to that of Nietzsche, is anything to brag about.
A more beautiful moral conception is to be understood in Schopenhauer. But I do not think Schopenhauer is a good example of how such a moral approach is realized. To me, Schopenhauer is an example of the human need to create a beautiful world of ideals, to say much but to do little.
I don't know about general philosophy, but I am familiar with the character of Judah Leon Abravanel. He literally saw love as the foundation of reality. He was influenced by the doctrine of Solomon ibn Gabirol who saw "The Will" as the root of reality. In his eyes in love the lover
loses himself and becomes a stranger to himself within the beloved. The lover, the love and the beloved become one. In Hebrew, by the way, the word 'one' (אחד) has the same numerical value as the word 'love' (אהבה).
When it comes to the practical implications of these ideas, I think moral issues may arise with "unconditional love," and here I am close to the views of Jordan Peterson
You are way better read than I am. You touched on my question, "What does the practical application look like?" I love my wife with all of my heart and soul and would gladly die for her without a moments hesitation. I would also bring great harm down on anyone that attempted to harm her without a moments hesitation or guilt. I assume me reality is much different than most although no more or less valid than the people on this blog. I am 67 years old and I just returned from running my excavator on the side of an extremely steep mountain on my little farm and teaching my worker/adopted son how to cut lumber with a chain say. I feel like I have been hit by a bus with teeth. In my view of reality the closest thing I can get to unconditional love beyond my wife is that of the worthy opponent. There are many people that I think are so wrong they border on crazy but I do believe they sincerely believe they are right. In such a case they deserve my respect and if possible some level of support. I don't know if this is love. However there are others who are extremely selfish and dangerous that to confuse myself attempting to feel some nebulous emotion towards them is just plain silly.
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

Ed Konderla wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 pm
Shaibei wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:27 pm In terms of idealism, as noted before me, love has an essential feature of being, a feature of integration of what was once unified. Such an attribute of integration you find for example in Spinoza's intellectual love. But I do not think that Spinoza's moral attitude, which is in some ways close to that of Nietzsche, is anything to brag about.

You are way better read than I am. You touched on my question, "What does the practical application look like?" I love my wife with all of my heart and soul and would gladly die for her without a moments hesitation. I would also bring great harm down on anyone that attempted to harm her without a moments hesitation or guilt. I assume me reality is much different than most although no more or less valid than the people on this blog. I am 67 years old and I just returned from running my excavator on the side of an extremely steep mountain on my little farm and teaching my worker/adopted son how to cut lumber with a chain say. I feel like I have been hit by a bus with teeth. In my view of reality the closest thing I can get to unconditional love beyond my wife is that of the worthy opponent. There are many people that I think are so wrong they border on crazy but I do believe they sincerely believe they are right. In such a case they deserve my respect and if possible some level of support. I don't know if this is love. However there are others who are extremely selfish and dangerous that to confuse myself attempting to feel some nebulous emotion towards them is just plain silly.
I can identify with what you wrote. Although I am curious and read about a variety of topics, believe me I have long realized that life itself is much stronger. As I read more I learned to distinguish between banal and instrumental use of words, and words behind which a soul hides. From reading your words I understand that you do not need theoretical discussions about love. With a loving wife and family you are immersed and surrounded by love, which is the greatest achievement
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
Ed Konderla

Post by Ed Konderla »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:50 pm
Ed Konderla wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:45 pm What is love and especially unconditional love? How does unconditional love manifest itself? Does classifying an individual or group as "victims" really show unconditional love and how does that fit with Idealism? Is love a human emotion or is it some kind of "fundamental" state like consciousness?

Not sure that this answers the question, 'what is love?', with the answer apparently being 'everything', but I've found it helpful nonetheless ...

I think the guy is as spot on as one can be attempting to describe something that is virtually indescribable using human language. Here in lies the problem in our modern world. You have people that need to believe they can accurately communicate any concept through words if the receiver is not so stupid as to not understand them Then you have people that use these types of concepts to manipulate. I have been on a personal quest my complete life and have experienced and still experience amazing things I cannot possibly accurately articulate. I don't have a degree in a damned thing or single letter after my name besides Jr. I look at many of these hyper intellects and question, "Do they really understand it better than I do?" These experiences are profound and moving and if I were to attempt to relate them they would lose a great deal of their power. To speak them is to diminish them. I look at death straight in the eye with little or no fear and maybe even a little eagerness. Not from a morose place but from a place knowing that will be the only way I get to know "the rest of the story".