The Supersensual Life by Jakob Böhme

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Soul_of_Shu

The Supersensual Life by Jakob Böhme

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Whatever one may make of the revelations of the Christian mystic Jakob Böhme, this is a quite eloquent reading from The Supersensual Life, read by a Buddhist nun no less ...

Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Shaibei

Re: The Supersensual Life by Jakob Böhme

Post by Shaibei »

It's a bit funny that the cover says Jesus the King of the Jews. I'm in favor of peace between religions and all that, but from a brief reading of what the guy writes, I don't think that Judaism is about the negation of the will. The negation of the will is good to some extent, but in general Judaism is about the affirmation of the will ...
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Shaibei wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:05 pm It's a bit funny that the cover says Jesus the King of the Jews. I'm in favor of peace between religions and all that, but from a brief reading of what the guy writes, I don't think that Judaism is about the negation of the will. The negation of the will is good to some extent, but in general Judaism is about the affirmation of the will ...
I only listened to a bit of it and I'm not familiar with Böhme. My off-the-wall comments are: 1) this is why people plunge into ecstatic dance, which is quite like being a child; and 2) since, all tribal names mean The People, it may be time to start hearing it that way.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

Lou Gold wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm
Shaibei wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:05 pm It's a bit funny that the cover says Jesus the King of the Jews. I'm in favor of peace between religions and all that, but from a brief reading of what the guy writes, I don't think that Judaism is about the negation of the will. The negation of the will is good to some extent, but in general Judaism is about the affirmation of the will ...
I only listened to a bit of it and I'm not familiar with Böhme. My off-the-wall comments are: 1) this is why people plunge into ecstatic dance, which is quite like being a child; and 2) since, all tribal names mean The People, it may be time to start hearing it that way.
Im not sure i understand what you mean. I'm talking about the book's cover written in hebrew. As for my remark, I suppose mystics of this kind have led to Schopenhauer's conception. A perception that I less identify with. There is a philosophical observation here, not giving grades
Where goes
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Shaibei wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:09 pm
Im not sure i understand what you mean. I'm talking about the book's cover written in hebrew. As for my remark, I suppose mystics of this kind have led to Schopenhauer's conception. A perception that I less identify with. There is a philosophical observation here, not giving grades
I think I was just giving voice to my peeve about how commentary often privileges differences over similarities. Sure makes it hard to find common ground.
Shaibei

Post by Shaibei »

Lou Gold wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:34 pm

I think I was just giving voice to my peeve about how commentary often privileges differences over similarities. Sure makes it hard to find common ground.
As far as I can judge, I think I try to examine things as they are and not Ed Hominem. I have no problem giving Schopenhauer a compliment when I agree with him and I do not think the opinion I have expressed is far from the truth. As for the point I made I am sure you understand the answer to the question why the hell does anyone write such a thing in Hebrew on the cover
Where goes
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Shaibei wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:39 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:34 pm

As far as I can judge, I think I try to examine things as they are and not Ed Hominem. I have no problem giving Schopenhauer a compliment when I agree with him and I do not think the opinion I have expressed is far from the truth. As for the point I made I am sure you understand the answer to the question why the hell does anyone write such a thing in Hebrew on the cover
To be honest, I did not grok the cover at all and I was surely not suggesting anything ad hominem. My apologies if I launched a misunderstanding. Your point is well taken.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Lou Gold wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm all tribal names mean The People, it may be time to start hearing it that way.
Mensch, who da goyim for you? ;)

Or, for We the People, also rock and stone people can be people? :)
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

SanteriSatama wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:47 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm all tribal names mean The People, it may be time to start hearing it that way.
Mensch, who da goyim for you? ;)

Or, for We the People, also rock and stone people can be people? :)
We, we and we.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

"The next Buddha will not take the form of an individual. The next Buddha may take the form of a community; a community practicing understanding and loving kindness, a community practicing mindful living. This may be the most important thing we can do for the survival of the Earth."
~ Thích Nhất Hạnh

art: Autumn Skye - Light Work