Curt Jaimungal announces a 3 way conversation between himself, Hoffman, and Kastrup is coming!

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Curt Jaimungal announces a 3 way conversation between himself, Hoffman, and Kastrup is coming!

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:28 pm what is experienced are ideations, true, but those are forms. The experiencing itself is not an idea, not a form, but the experiencing of any form/ideation. If there would be no experiencing, what would be ideations without experiencing them?
He is talking about "meaning" as fundamental over and over again. That is idea not mere experience.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Eugene I

Re: Curt Jaimungal announces a 3 way conversation between himself, Hoffman, and Kastrup is coming!

Post by Eugene I »

oh sure, there are meanings as ideas, they are talking about higher and deeper meanings and their importance in our life. But he never said that they are "fundamental" in any "ontic" sense, nether he said that there is such thing as "universal meaning"
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Eugene I wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:28 pm what is experienced are ideations, true, but those are forms. The experiencing itself is not an idea, not a form, but the experiencing of any form/ideation. If there would be no experiencing, what would be ideations without experiencing them?

We've been through this before, as has Scott, clearly to no avail, so it seems we're not going to get beyond our different ideas of what idealism entails, and I see no point in going through it all again, just out of the joy of arguing. ;)
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

ok, last argument: how one idea (the idea of experience) can experience another idea (idea of an apple)? An idea cannot experience anything, any idea is what IS experienced (while not being separate from its experiencing)
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:44 pm oh sure, there are meanings as ideas, they are talking about higher and deeper meanings and their importance in our life. But he never said that they are "fundamental" in any "ontic" sense, nether he said that there is such thing as "universal meaning"
Yes, he did say meaning is fundamental. They were discussing ontology and the "meaning crisis" when he said it. Sorry but BK is not aligned with you on this one, which of course does not mean you are wrong, but simply that he disagrees.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:03 pm
Eugene I wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:44 pm oh sure, there are meanings as ideas, they are talking about higher and deeper meanings and their importance in our life. But he never said that they are "fundamental" in any "ontic" sense, nether he said that there is such thing as "universal meaning"
Yes, he did say meaning is fundamental. They were discussing ontology and the "meaning crisis" when he said it. Sorry but BK is not aligned with you on this one, which of course does not mean you are wrong, but simply that he disagrees.
I would also point out BK liked and retweeted the essay on Incarnating the Christ, which he does not do for everything I send his way, so he is not really aligned with you on that one either.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:03 pm Yes, he did say meaning is fundamental. They were discussing ontology and the "meaning crisis" when he said it.
May be I missed that. If ontology can solve the meaning crisis, that does not mean that the meaning is ontological. It means that a better ontology can bring better meanings to us. But anyway, if you can find any BK's quote where he states that the meaning is ontically fundamental, that would definitely help
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

BK is now saying that subject combination problem makes panpsychism fundamentally incoherent. Which means he does accept that the subject combination problem is an argument/criterium that can make an ontology incoherent.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

BK states that intentionality is and emergent functionality not immanent to MAL. John says that such position runs into the "Chinese room" problem
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:27 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:03 pm Yes, he did say meaning is fundamental. They were discussing ontology and the "meaning crisis" when he said it.
May be I missed that. If ontology can solve the meaning crisis, that does not mean that the meaning is ontological. It means that a better ontology can bring better meanings to us. But anyway, if you can find any BK's quote where he states that the meaning is ontically fundamental, that would definitely help
Go to 1:40 timestamp of "Meaning and Ontology" - BK discusses Schopenhauer's criticism of Kantian epistemology and then goes into a discussion of whether depth psychology can address the absence of meaning, i.e. the fundamental issue of our day, without also discussing ontology. He says, "either meaning is really there, or my giving meaning to things is self-deception" and asks, "do you think we can solve the meaning crisis without addressing ontology head on?"