Metamorphoses of the Spirit: Breaking Bad Habits

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Eugene I

Re: Metamorphoses of the Spirit: Breaking Bad Habits

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:18 pm That God is not other feels so important to me, not merely intellectually, but actually feels. I am sure you could have guessed that from my posts and essays, otherwise I would not bother writing them. It is true that your view has a strong foundation in the early Church, but it is equally true that another understanding was already present at that time and runs through the entire history of the Western Church, although was almost eradicated in the last few centuries.
The eye with which I see God is the same with which God sees me. My eye and God's eye is one eye, and one sight, and one knowledge, and one love.
Meister Eckhart
“What you seek is seeking you.”
"I searched for God and found only myself. I searched for myself and found only God."
“Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.”
“The universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself, everything that you want you already are"

"All through eternity
Beauty unveils His exquisite form
in the solitude of nothingness;
He holds a mirror to His Face
and beholds His own beauty.
he is the knower and the known,
the seer and the seen;
No eye but His own
has ever looked upon this Universe."

Rumi
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:17 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:18 pm That God is not other feels so important to me, not merely intellectually, but actually feels. I am sure you could have guessed that from my posts and essays, otherwise I would not bother writing them. It is true that your view has a strong foundation in the early Church, but it is equally true that another understanding was already present at that time and runs through the entire history of the Western Church, although was almost eradicated in the last few centuries.
The eye with which I see God is the same with which God sees me. My eye and God's eye is one eye, and one sight, and one knowledge, and one love.
Meister Eckhart
"I searched for God and found only myself. I searched for myself and found only God."
“Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.”
“The universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself, everything that you want you already are"

"All through eternity
the seer and the seen;
No eye but His own

Rumi
Nice! If you like those, Eugene, you should really like the next essay installment. I think there will only be one quote of scripture :)
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:07 pm
Meister Eckhart

"All through eternity
the seer and the seen;
No eye but His own

Rumi
Nice! If you like those, Eugene, you should really like the next essay installment. I think there will only be one quote of scripture :)
Right. This is the pinnacle and common ground of all major Western and Eastern traditions: the whole universe if only seeing (= conscious experiencing) of ideal forms, and the experiencing=experiencer=seeing=the Seer is the same everywhere, and the seeing=experiencing is not separate from what is seen (ideal forms). And once the Seer sees=experiences and realizes it directly and intimately and clearly comprehends the idea of it, it then recognizes itself everywhere in every idea, form, person, deity and in all there is. Everything there is "you already are".
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

AshvinP wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:18 pm Simon,

I am sure Cleric will offer a more helpful response later, but I just wanted to remark briefly... it is very interesting that what you consider "so important the rest is trivial", i.e. "god being entirely 'other'", is what I find so important in the complete opposite direction. That God is not other feels so important to me, not merely intellectually, but actually feels. I am sure you could have guessed that from my posts and essays, otherwise I would not bother writing them. It is true that your view has a strong foundation in the early Church, but it is equally true that another understanding was already present at that time and runs through the entire history of the Western Church, although was almost eradicated in the last few centuries.

I would further argue that many of those Christian theologians you may think support your view are not quite as supportive as imagined due to the metamorphic spiritual progression we are involved in. Many theological views we find so "central" to Christianity are artifacts of the modern age. I will be posting the first part of my last part :) of the essay today, and I hope you get a chance to read it, because I would love to hear your thoughts. Obviously I feel these are the most important questions we could be asking and exploring as humans, let alone humans interested in idealist philosophy.
I agree these are important questions. In some ways it’s a subtle difference between us. Divinisation is a core part of christian belief, and always has been. It’s mentioned in scripture, it mentioned by the church fathers right from Irenaeus. It’s in the catechism, it’s mentioned at every mass, and is seen as the pinnacle of the spiritual journey. But for those who achieve it in this life, it’s not a realisation of existing divinity, but rather a merging of the whole person (lower and upper self!) into the divine. In the words of John of the Cross;
In thus allowing God to work in it, the soul ... is at once illumined and transformed in God, and God communicates to it His supernatural Being, in such wise that it appears to be God Himself, and has all that God Himself has. And this union comes to pass when God grants the soul this supernatural favour, that all the things of God and the soul are one in participant transformation; and the soul seems to be God rather than a soul, and is indeed God by participation; although it is true that its natural being, though thus transformed, is as distinct from the Being of God as it was before.
Nonetheless, I agree that the process is one of ‘becoming god’. I guess the biggest concern I have with the ‘subtle’ difference, is that there is a risk that if people see Christ as their higher self, the relationship is not right. We can’t just expect this to happen, nor will it just happen by intellectually understanding anything. As Theophilus of Antioch put it in the second century;
Neither, then, immortal nor yet mortal did He make him, but, as we have said above, capable of both; so that if he should incline to the things of immortality, keeping the commandment of God, he should receive as reward from Him immortality, and should become God...
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Simon Adams wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:04 am
AshvinP wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:18 pm Simon,

I am sure Cleric will offer a more helpful response later, but I just wanted to remark briefly... it is very interesting that what you consider "so important the rest is trivial", i.e. "god being entirely 'other'", is what I find so important in the complete opposite direction. That God is not other feels so important to me, not merely intellectually, but actually feels. I am sure you could have guessed that from my posts and essays, otherwise I would not bother writing them. It is true that your view has a strong foundation in the early Church, but it is equally true that another understanding was already present at that time and runs through the entire history of the Western Church, although was almost eradicated in the last few centuries.

I would further argue that many of those Christian theologians you may think support your view are not quite as supportive as imagined due to the metamorphic spiritual progression we are involved in. Many theological views we find so "central" to Christianity are artifacts of the modern age. I will be posting the first part of my last part :) of the essay today, and I hope you get a chance to read it, because I would love to hear your thoughts. Obviously I feel these are the most important questions we could be asking and exploring as humans, let alone humans interested in idealist philosophy.
I agree these are important questions. In some ways it’s a subtle difference between us. Divinisation is a core part of christian belief, and always has been. It’s mentioned in scripture, it mentioned by the church fathers right from Irenaeus. It’s in the catechism, it’s mentioned at every mass, and is seen as the pinnacle of the spiritual journey. But for those who achieve it in this life, it’s not a realisation of existing divinity, but rather a merging of the whole person (lower and upper self!) into the divine. In the words of John of the Cross;
I posted my response in the new essay thread and hope to continue the discussion there. You and Cleric can continue your discussion here or there, whatever works best for you guys.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"