The Autodidactic Universe - New Paper

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Pantalaimon

The Autodidactic Universe - New Paper

Post by Pantalaimon »

In the conversation between Vervaeke and Kastrup on Curt Jaimungal's Podcast Kastrup talks about the possibility that the universe learns its laws instead of them being determined at the "beginning".

Thus, when I found this scientific paper this morning, I just had to share it with this community. Have fun reading!

https://arxiv.org/abs/2104.03902
Jim Cross

Re: The Autodidactic Universe - New Paper

Post by Jim Cross »

Similar to this paper.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2008.01540

One thing difficult to reconcile is the lack of evidence that the laws of nature have changed for as long as we can look back in time. If there is learning happening, I think we would expect change.
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Yes, I heard that hypothesis voiced in Vervaeke-Kastrup talk and also thought that it would not make sense because we have not seen and changes in the laws of our physical universe. Also it is time inefficient for the MAL to run only one version of the universe and slowly tune it.

I'm more leaning towards the "learning multiverse" where many versions of local universes exist simultaneously with different laws and life emerges in the the ones that have the right conditions. It takes more "computational" resources but much faster in time. This is exactly how genetic optimization/learning algorithms work in the modern computer science. This is also similar to what some physicists propose (Steven Weinberg and others) to solve the cosmological constant puzzle - that a vast amount of regions with different string theory configurations and cosmological constants exist in the multiverse, and we are living in one of them where the constant is close to zero and formation of galaxies and life is possible.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Ben Iscatus

Post by Ben Iscatus »

Rupert Sheldrake points out that the speed of light seems to have changed according to measurements made in the twentieth century. Even Lee Smolin posits a "principle of precedence" -the idea that repeated measurements of a particular phenomenon yield the same outcomes not because the phenomenon is subject to a law of nature but just because the phenomenon has occurred in the past. He says this would explain all the instances in which determinism by laws work but do not prevent new measurements with different outcomes.