Metamorphoses of the Spirit: Transfiguring our Thinking (Part I)

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Cleric K

Re: Metamorphoses of the Spirit: Transfiguring our Thinking (Part I)

Post by Cleric K »

Eugene I wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:45 pm Also, what makes you think that he was represented exactly and only by the Christ and not by Krishna (per Bhagavad Gita) or Vajradhāra Buddha or any other traditional Deities, and that only Christianity presents the "true" perspective on the Divine? It was very eye-opening for me to learn from NDE accounts how different the Being of Light turned out to be compared to what I learned before from Christianity.
Now we really have to enter into more esoteric waters for this. Necessarily this would sound as floating in the air for most but it's still completely logical if we think about it without prejudice.

The first thing is that when we see a human form with our senses we should not at all imagine that we have some atomic entity before us. As I mentioned on several occasions, what man is in the current stage is really the integrative memory process that gives us the I-ness of our experience. Our bodily sheaths are much more something that we live in symbiosis with. Things are even more complicated when we're dealing with higher beings which express through human bodies.

The bodily sheaths of Krishna were inspired (used as a tool) by the Sun-being and even higher Divine forces. The focus of investigation should be what exactly was different in the case of Krishna and in the case of Christ. When we read Bhagavad Gita with deep feelings we can't help but notice: "When Krishna speaks we have the Divine speaking. There's nothing human in Krishna." The Divine was speaking through the bodily sheaths of Krishna in the most magnificent way. If we read deeply we can't help but tremble before the unfathomable splendor of the Being that speaks to us. What happens from that Being's perspective when it was the time for Krishna's physical sheath to be laid aside? Nothing really. The Divine being was completely unaffected by this, that body was something completely external to it. The Divinity was inspiring the bodily complex from the heights of the spiritual world. When the body was gone, it was simply that the tool for this inspiration was gone. This affected in no way the Divine. And this is only to be expected when we deal with a supreme God expressing itself through a bodily avatar.

Bhagavad Gita portrays in a magnificent way the culmination of an epoch of evolution. The basic mood can be expressed as something like: "The soul is sinking deeper and deeper towards the sensory dream-pictures. Unless this is counteracted, the soul runs the real danger to be dissipated in the fragments. The impulse of Krishna gives the soul force that counterbalances this descent. Yes, the soul is sinking deeper and deeper into decoherence but it must keep the image of the Divinity within itself if it is to survive and keep its wholeness."

All this is very different when we reach the Christ event. Here we have the Sun-being which penetrates the bodily sheaths all the way to the physical. The time had come when the Divine not only had to counterbalance the descent but it had to infuse its nature into the physical world in order that it can be redeemed. When we deal with the Christ we see a Sun-Spirit that dwelt within the bodily sheaths provided by Jesus for three years - from the baptism at Jordan to the crucifixion. At that time the Christ being experienced something unique, which he didn't know before that. He was sucked in by the bodily sheaths, in effect he experienced the human condition. This is the most important difference compared to the way the Divine expressed in previous times. The Divine could now experience pain, hunger, temptation, weakness. And most importantly - the Divine was to experience death. What does it mean to experience death? It means that for the time of incarnation we experience our I-ness in tight relation to the reflecting apparatus of the body. The reason death is such an obstacle for man is that he doesn't know himself apart from this inner-bodily reflection. The Divine had to experience momentarily this state. This didn't cause him to forget his Cosmic nature but nevertheless he was thrust down into the fragments, into the world of concrete forms. The Divine is now dependent on these forms for its self-consciousness. If the forms dissipate, the Divine consciousness would also dissipate. Then the Divine turns around the whole process and infuses the physical world with the Divine nature - the body must become the temple of the Divine in the truest sense. The forces have been planted into the physical body which when developed will give the ability of the Spirit to speak forth the forms.

If we understand clearly we can see that we're dealing with something completely different here. In the impulse of Krishna we have the basic mood: "The sensory world is Maya. Don't forget me - the Divine nature - which is the true reality". In the Christ impulse we have the Divinity penetrating the world of Maya and beginning the process of its spiritualization and redemption from within. What does this mean? That we can no longer look upon the picture of Maya as something that we must simply not fall for, but we need to understand how the Spirit works behind the appearances. To spiritualize matter, in the broadest sense means to find the Cosmic forces that work into and shape the forms. This work begins from our own body. This is the archetypal deed of Christ. If this was not performed the gap between the Maya picture and the yearning of the soul towards the Divine, would go further and further apart. The souls drawn by the senses would be complete engulfed by the fragments. The souls that yearn for the Divine would be completely alienated from all Earthly happenings, they would simply wait patiently, interfering as little as possible with the world, until their time for departure comes. Through the Christ event the Sun-Spirit permeates and fertilizes the Earth body. This may sound absurd from materialistic perspective but is nevertheless a fact of spiritual perception - the physical matter of Earth received a new quality after the event of Golgotha. The force that counterbalances the entropic dissolution now exists within the very substance of the Earth. As it were, now every particle is a fertilized egg from which the Divinity has the potential to grow.

These are very deep topics and it's perfectly normal if very little of the above is immediately understood. The important thing is to realize that everything is moving, evolving, unfolding. The Divinity that spoke through Krishna is not exactly the same as the one that went through the gate of Golgotha, nor it is exactly the same as the Divinity that speaks today within our souls. The Sun-Spirit is itself going through metamorphic development. "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do;" Nothing stays static or ever repeats in the exactly same form. This is precisely what the Christ impulse should lead us to experience. Through the event of Golgotha a Cosmic process was triggered that begins to redeem the world of Maya. Not simply to cast it away as useless dream picture, but to infuse if with the forces of the Word. In other words, we only know the world of Maya when we attain to the perspectives from which that world is spoken forth. This is what it means to spiritualize matter - to experience how the Spirit works into the forms and take on from there our own creative work. This work begins from our own substance. Physical matter is the last thing we'll master. We begin from the more immediate and malleable towards the more resisting and opaque. We begin through our thinking substance which must first and foremost transform the astral substance - our desires and passions - and make it a docile instrument of the Spirit.

As far as the Bodhisattvas, these are the most advanced members of the human evolution. Every time a Bodhisattva becomes a Buddha an important impulse is added to human development. The important thing is that in the Buddha impulses humanity works as if from below upwards. Something is transformed within human nature in order to accommodate the Divine. As I've said several times, the deed of Gautama Buddha hasn't even reached its real significance yet. The perfection of perceiving, thinking, feeling, willing - which is at the heart of this impulse - is yet to be unfolded in its true grandeur. Similarly, in the future Bodhisattva Maitreya, through his attainment of Buddhahood, will unfold the impulse of Love in ways unfathomable today. Love is to become a real creative force.

All of this happens in the context of the unfoldment of the Christ impulse - the Spiritualization of reality through Love. This is the master blueprint. What happened through the event of Golgotha is only the seed for something that will unfold in all future time "and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.". Just as our ordinary life can be very diverse, yet it all starts with the birth event, within the context of which everything unfolds, so the birth of the Spirit within the physical realm marks a starting point within the context of which the Cosmic unfoldment will proceed. There'll be many more impulses that will concretize the details of this process but nevertheless everything is within the same context - that the Divine should grow more and more from the seed that physical man is. This is a twofold process. Physical man is the soil that is being refined below but the true Man comes from above and transfigures it. The accommodation of this higher Man is something that we can initiate only in complete freedom, out of Love.

As long as we understand things in their evolutionary context everything fits into place. The whole Cosmic development is an organic process, rhythmically unfolding.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

PS: This is implied above but let me render it from one more angle. Our Buddha nature (I'm using this term loosely) leads us from what is personal towards what is universal, what is One, where all differences dissolve. This impulse moves from below upwards so to speak. The Christ impulse complements this with what flows from above downwards. Even though this impulse streams from what is One, it doesn't make us all the same but quite the opposite - it gives us what is unique to our individual perspective. As a fun fact - even though the word "I" is one, it still has unique meaning for each one of us. Here lies the mystery of the "I" - even though there's only one "I" in the Cosmos, it is still experienced as something unique to our perspective (think of the Deep M@L picture). This is also why this impulse is the impulse of Love. The only way we can experience a self-conscious individual perspective within the Whole, while being in complete harmony with it, is through sacrificial Love. What moves from below upwards overcomes egoism by dissolving boundaries and becoming one with the whole. What moves from above downwards projects the oneness of the whole as something truly unique within the individual perspective and overcomes egoism through sacrificial deeds of Love.

This should be mention because a conception like that of Eugene's, where nondualism actually includes the idea of individual conscious perspectives, already unknowingly tries to accommodate the Christ impulse, even though it is not yet recognized for what it is. Yet this view tries to reap the benefit of the individual perspective endowed by the Cosmic I AM, without accounting for the responsibilities that this implies.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Cleric K wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 amAs far as the Bodhisattvas, these are the most advanced members of the human evolution. Every time a Bodhisattva becomes a Buddha an important impulse is added to human development. The important thing is that in the Buddha impulses humanity works as if from below upwards. Something is transformed within human nature in order to accommodate the Divine. As I've said several times, the deed of Gautama Buddha hasn't even reached its real significance yet. The perfection of perceiving, thinking, feeling, willing - which is at the heart of this impulse - is yet to be unfolded in its true grandeur. Similarly, in the future Bodhisattva Maitreya, through his attainment of Buddhahood, will unfold the impulse of Love in ways unfathomable today. Love is to become a real creative force.
Speaking of the Bodhisattvas, as masters of conscious activity, it occurs to me that they could actually shift their focus of activity to a transcorporeal modality, and still willingly, if not imperatively, revert to this corporeal mode, thus playing an integral role in purveying the possibility of such a shift. Out of curiosity, should such Bodhisattvas become so great in number, influence and effectiveness that such a shift were to ever happen on a collective scale, what would become of the corporeal construct?
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:13 pm Speaking of the Bodhisattvas, as masters of conscious activity, it occurs to me that they could actually shift their focus of activity to a transcorporeal modality, and still willingly, if not imperatively, revert to this corporeal mode, thus playing an integral role in purveying the possibility of such a shift. Out of curiosity, should such Bodhisattvas become so great in number and effectiveness that such a shift were to ever happen on a collective scale, what would become of the corporeal construct?
The cycling between the worlds is normal. Incarnational cycles will continue for a very long time, although they won't have the same meaning when consciousness becomes uninterrupted. To put it into a picture, souls will be like conscious divers that accrete corporeality around themselves in order to operate for a period of time in the denser realm. There's a lot of work to be done there (here). As mentioned, the destiny of the corporeal realm is to be gradually spiritualized. This starts first with our bodies but then also the animal, plant and mineral kingdoms. This is a gradual process. It's not like leaving behind the formed world behind at some point. Everything must be redeemed. To stir the imagination - in the far, far future man would be able to change the form of his body at will. To put it into a scientific picture, physical matter will have to become more and more quantum coherent. Quantum tunneling will be a norm. For example the cells of the bodies will exist in a superposition state and thus different configuration could easily transform from one another. I beg you not to take this too directly. There're many things that must be said if analogies like these are not to be misleading.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Cleric K wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:44 pmEverything must be redeemed. To stir the imagination - in the far, far future man would be able to change the form of his body at will.
Does this entail something like the nagual to jaguar shapeshifting alluded to in the Castaneda books? Or shapeshifting into some unprecedented imaginal form?
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

Nice sermon, Cleric, you are a professional preacher :) I would say that, whenever we try to reach to Divinity, there is always a mutual response and help, no matter in which culture or spiritual tradition we seek the Divine, no matter what names we call it. I don't see much difference in such transformation and interpenetration of the Divine and alters in Christian or Vedic or other traditions :
But them that worship Me with love, I love;
They are in Me, and I in them!
Bhagavad Gita
On that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you.
The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him.
John 14:20
There are two kinds of unity:
- Unity in sharing common energy-qualities - Love, Knowledge etc (in the Christian theology called "theosis" by communion with Divine energies - see Palamism)
- Unity in experiential recognition of the ever-present common non-dual aspects of reality.

Christianity is the path of the former unity, but I find the latter kind of unity missing in the Christian tradition, and still missing even in its latest developments (Steiner and others), so that is why I was saying that it is incomplete. The Vedic tradition covers both in its two vehicles: Bhakti yoga (the union in Love) and Jnana yoga (the union in the Gnosis of the non-dual aspects).
Last edited by Eugene I on Tue May 11, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:57 pm Does this entail something like the nagual to jaguar shapeshifting alluded to in the Castaneda books? Or shapeshifting into some unprecedented imaginal form?
I don't know. My feeling on this is that it's not about such shapeshifting. At least in the more conceivable stages it should be more about changing height, the length and shape of limbs, etc. When we have to deal with animal forms in religious and mythological context, it should be clear that almost certainly we're speaking about astral phenomena. I don't know how appropriate it is to speak of these things here. Pulling such things out of context makes the one speaking to simply look crazy. In the process of involution certain soul qualities of instinctive nature were expelled from the Cosmic human (this happens well before any process of mineralization). The thrust out soul qualities assume their own life which later form into the animal world. So in occult sense, when we speak about the animal world, we're envisioning spiritual processes that had to be differentiated from man, otherwise the human form would be too instinctually hard-wired for the spirit to make use of it. A certain balance was needed. The form couldn't be too free from instincts because the spirit wouldn't be able to take on all the tasks needed to consciously support the existence of the form. Yet enough flexibility was also needed so that the spirit could gradually take foot in the human form and continue its work from within outwards. The human brain provides such flexibility.

In this sense, when we speak of shapeshifting like in the Mesoamerican traditions, it's more likely to be about disembodied souls, probably of inferior character, who can strongly associate with the above mentioned expelled astral forms. For visionary clairvoyance this would be experienced precisely as human form that shapeshifts into animal form. It's also possible that these beings can associate with actual physical animals and influence them to attack someone, for example.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Eugene I wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:49 pm
But them that worship Me with love, I love;
They are in Me, and I in them!
Bhagavad Gita
I'm not going to enter into debates over scriptures here. I just want to point out that there's specific difference in what it means to worship a god in pre-Christian times and what this becomes after that. All this is related to the metamorphosis of Spirit:
John 4:21 wrote: “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. ... Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”
To explain what it means to worship in Spirit and Truth will take another sermon so I'll save it :) But these things are precisely the indicators for the way the relations between the soul and the Divine, metamorphose with evolution.

I could address the distinction between the unities too but I feel this will only turn into a circle so I'll refrain at this time.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Simon Adams wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:51 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:51 pm
We can say the rigorous empirical aspect of science was not considered in Aquinas' time, but that does not fundamentally alter what is being pursued. All science, as all philosophy, is about observation and thinking. It is about taking some data from observation and figuring out, through reason, what higher order ideal relation (of concepts) explains that data. That was the same for Aquinas as it is for modern scientists.
Yes there is definitely a big overlap there.
I would argue "how they present in the psyche is what matters" for all philosophical and scientific pursuits. That is generally what we call phenomenology, basically starting with Hegel. Psychology, as Nietzsche observed, was in the best position to observe the psychic phenomenon which lead us back to their sources in the relations of idea-beings. The latter are what Jung termed "archetypes of the collective unconscious". Steiner took the phenomenological approach with our spiritual activity of thinking in the PoF, which is what the final part of this essay will explore. There is really no sense in me going beyond what I have already written since I hope to post that soon and I will not find a better way of explaining it than will be used in that final part.
I’ll wait for that, but at least we have found the root of where we disagree. It’s all about the grand narrative you have. We each build our own ‘wall of truth’, which is our Weltanschauung. For the physicalist, the foundations are laid on the material world, and it’s measured properties. For the artist it may be something like beauty. For the traditional theist, it’s god. Our ‘learning’ will nearly always be changing around the bricks on the top of the wall, or adding bricks. Normal decision making only ever looks at a couple of bricks at a time, something that would be critical for survival in an evolutionary sense. You don’t want to be thinking about the meaning of life every time a new predator comes sniffing around the cave entrance.

This is why people are so resistant to changing fundamental ontologies, as you can’t change the bricks at the bottom without much if not all of the rest of the wall coming down. It usually only happens when people are “at the end of their tether”, or something happening where they can see the whole wall at once. All these debates on the internet, YouTube etc can be seen in this light, as people from different ontological foundations are speaking about the top couple of rows on their wall, and wondering why they don’t match the top couple of rows of the person they’re talking to.

In the case of all those you mention, and presumably yourself, the foundation of the wall is the psyche. There are bricks and indeed whole courses that will match with someone’s wall where the foundation is god, but because they sit in a different part of the wall, there will always be a misalignment of sorts.
These terms are not very helpful. What I consider Psyche (Soul-Spirit) is essentially what you are calling "god" - precisely the Holy Trinity aka Godhead of Christianity. I know you stated before your view is different from anyone else on this forum, and presumably that is because you consider the Godhead to transcend any sort of ontological classification, i.e. idealism. We cannot speak of Godhead as "Idea" any more than we can speak of Him as "matter". That definitely is in tension with the monism I am arguing for because it implicitly sets up a dualism.

That monism is not about rearranging bricks on the wall. It is about forgetting the brick wall ("dying to our sin") and seeing what sort of new wall is built from within our own spiritual essence and through our own spiritual activity ("baptized and born again in the Spirit"). So yes it is definitely at odds with those who want to maintain a "traditional" brick wall of any sort and simply rearrange the top bricks from time to time. That simply is not adequate for true spiritual progression in our age.

I understand it is very difficult for those steeped in such tradition to walk away from it, especially if they have family and friends, etc. who will be estranged from them because of it. It's a terribly difficult situation for anyone to navigate. There are many bricks of the person's identity seemingly dependent on that foundation. All I can offer that person right now in response are the words of Christ quoted before, which may seem harsh but are still necessary for us to take seriously:

Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it."
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Cleric K wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:51 pm
Soul_of_Shu wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:57 pm Does this entail something like the nagual to jaguar shapeshifting alluded to in the Castaneda books? Or shapeshifting into some unprecedented imaginal form?
I don't know. My feeling on this is that it's not about such shapeshifting. At least in the more conceivable stages it should be more about changing height, the length and shape of limbs, etc. When we have to deal with animal forms in religious and mythological context, it should be clear that almost certainly we're speaking about astral phenomena. I don't know how appropriate it is to speak of these things here. Pulling such things out of context makes the one speaking to simply look crazy. In the process of involution certain soul qualities of instinctive nature were expelled from the Cosmic human (this happens well before any process of mineralization). The thrust out soul qualities assume their own life which later form into the animal world. So in occult sense, when we speak about the animal world, we're envisioning spiritual processes that had to be differentiated from man, otherwise the human form would be too instinctually hard-wired for the spirit to make use of it. A certain balance was needed. The form couldn't be too free from instincts because the spirit wouldn't be able to take on all the tasks needed to consciously support the existence of the form. Yet enough flexibility was also needed so that the spirit could gradually take foot in the human form and continue its work from within outwards. The human brain provides such flexibility.

In this sense, when we speak of shapeshifting like in the Mesoamerican traditions, it's more likely to be about disembodied souls, probably of inferior character, who can strongly associate with the above mentioned expelled astral forms. For visionary clairvoyance this would be experienced precisely as human form that shapeshifts into animal form. It's also possible that these beings can associate with actual physical animals and influence them to attack someone, for example.
So no flying spaghetti monsters then? 👹

Seriously though, under idealism, ever-evolving shapeshifting imagery is what the activity of Consciousness is always engaged in, albeit over many aeons, while in human alter-mode working on the hyper-acceleration of that process. So if it could happen on demand in some future version of now may not be all that far-fetched.