Metamorphoses of the Spirit: Transfiguring our Thinking (Part I)

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Eugene I

Re: Metamorphoses of the Spirit: Transfiguring our Thinking (Part I)

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:03 am Well, if we are simply ignoring all of the medieval thinkers I quoted in this part of the essay... then perhaps that "amalgamation" claim is somewhat accurate. There is a healthy form of "tearing apart", just as thinkers like Hoffman and Arakani-Hamed are "tearing apart" GR and QM to find a deeper sub-structure of explanation. That is also what we are doing here. No different from what Christ was doing through his Incarnation:

Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it."
Such "tearing apart" process is absolutely healthy and normal in science, it is the way science avoids stagnation. In Christianity it was supposed to be different, as St. Paul said - Christians are supposed to be united in one Church and in one faith as "the body of Christ":
There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism (Ephesians 4:5)
So in Christ we who are many are one body, and each member belongs to one another (1 Corinthians 12:27)
Hence the continuous efforts to keep the faith consistent and aligned within one Church, and considering disagreements in faith as heresy that, if not rectified, entailing in the excommunication form the body of Christ. As a result, even Catholics and Orthodox Christians, with their tiny and indistinguishable for anyone without PhD in theology difference in theology (filioque), excommunicated each other.
Last edited by Eugene I on Mon May 10, 2021 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:26 am
Here is a very significant disagreement. I believe the "foreknowledge" apologetic was only derived in the protestant era you mention, as a way to tamp down the harshness of the predestination view, which is pretty obviously harsh but somehow maintains in certain Reformed tradition. (I could be wrong about the dating on that, in which case I would like to know). Even the foreknowledge view is rather harsh, as it implies God created a whole set of humans with explicit knowledge they would be damned for all eternity. Regardless if we take that as eternal punishment in Hell or annihilation, I cannot see how a Just and Merciful God could possibly be involved in such a scheme.
It’s not just you that takes this view of it, but it’s not confusing to me. God makes us in his image, which gives us free will. It is a limited existence so we don’t see things fully as they are, but we see enough to know the difference between love, honesty, forgiveness etc. versus cruelty, selfishness, hatred, deceit etc. If we chose the latter as our way of life, despite being made in god’s image, we will hide from his light after we die. We just won’t be able to stand in his presence. In some ways it’s just the natural result of our choices.

Now god made us all in his image, he didn’t make us to fail. But he did give us genuinely free will to chose how we respond to life’s challenges. So we are free to make the choices, but god exists beyond time, so he also knows beforehand what choices we will make. But it’s still our free choices, his knowledge doesn’t affect our choices any more than me telling you now what I had for lunch would affect my choice in what I had for lunch.

You could question the details, such as a person born into a violent situation versus someone born into a peaceful, loving environment. We can assume this would influence our choices in life, but god says that the child for it’s parents sins. So this kind of detail across all the people of the world does require faith that everyone has a fair chance, but in principle, if you believe him that overall everyone has an equivalent choice, it’s not about god making the decision for us.

Of course there are universalists that believe something different, mainly in the orthodox church, but it’s difficult to support that from scripture (in my view).

Note: I am not arguing that the view must be ruled out because it is "harsh" - I think there are perfectly good philosophical-spiritual-scriptural reasons to rule predestination out as a doctrine of any importance to the Christian faith.
I think the harshness concern is valid. I personally don’t think it’s eternal suffering, I think there is good reason to believe that the second death is indeed a final end.
I am also curious, though, on what you think of my (admittedly brief) explanation for why Augustine took that view, i.e. the tension between his own individual experience devoid of immanent spiritual meaning and the holistic spirituality of Plotinism which he had explicitly studied and did not want to abandon completely?
I actually think the view came from scripture. He added more on it later which some take as him supporting “double predestination”, but I think this is a misreading that doesn’t appreciate the context of him arguing against a heresy.
Well I am not much interested in MAL, whatever we take that to mean, but rather the God revealed in Christ given that we both appear to agree on that. Why do you limit "transcendence of the boundary" to meditation? What do you make of Aquinas' assertion below?
Aquinas wrote:… it should be noted that different ways of knowing (ratio cognoscibilis) give us different sciences. The astronomer and the natural philosopher both conclude that the earth is round, but the astronomer does this through a mathematical middle that is abstracted from matter, whereas the natural philosopher considers a middle lodged in matter. Thus there is nothing to prevent another science from treating in the light of divine revelation what the philosophical disciplines treat as knowable in the light of human reason.
Oh I’m definitely not claiming that reason can’t help us to know about the universe/MaL, and indeed about god. This goes back to our different ways of knowing discussion. I was purely focussing on the different types of transcendent experience there.
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

Eugene I wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:51 am
Simon Adams wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:34 am it seems to me that Ashvin’s is an amalgamation of Christianity with the likes of Steiner and Jung.
Yes, that's what it is. The thing is, there is a continuous process in Christianity of dividing into more an more sects, denominations and sub-views, every new one claiming to encompass the Christian true faith and restore the lost unity, but in fact doing exactly the opposite and dividing and tearing apart Christianity even further.
Yes I agree … protestantism is fissile. If you look at where the apostolic succession has been retained catholic and orthodox (and maybe anglican), then in terms of human ‘ideologies’ and human organisations, then you’d have to say it’s been relatively stable and consistent for a very long time. Of course Buddhism is even older and has something similar, but that’s a fairly ‘broad church’ which is essentially a process in which you can absorb gods, have no god, etc.
Ideas are certain original forms of things, their archetypes, permanent and incommunicable, which are contained in the Divine intelligence. And though they neither begin to be nor cease, yet upon them are patterned the manifold things of the world that come into being and pass away.
St Augustine
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Simon Adams wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:18 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:26 am
Here is a very significant disagreement. I believe the "foreknowledge" apologetic was only derived in the protestant era you mention, as a way to tamp down the harshness of the predestination view, which is pretty obviously harsh but somehow maintains in certain Reformed tradition. (I could be wrong about the dating on that, in which case I would like to know). Even the foreknowledge view is rather harsh, as it implies God created a whole set of humans with explicit knowledge they would be damned for all eternity. Regardless if we take that as eternal punishment in Hell or annihilation, I cannot see how a Just and Merciful God could possibly be involved in such a scheme.
It’s not just you that takes this view of it, but it’s not confusing to me. God makes us in his image, which gives us free will. It is a limited existence so we don’t see things fully as they are, but we see enough to know the difference between love, honesty, forgiveness etc. versus cruelty, selfishness, hatred, deceit etc. If we chose the latter as our way of life, despite being made in god’s image, we will hide from his light after we die. We just won’t be able to stand in his presence. In some ways it’s just the natural result of our choices.

Now god made us all in his image, he didn’t make us to fail. But he did give us genuinely free will to chose how we respond to life’s challenges. So we are free to make the choices, but god exists beyond time, so he also knows beforehand what choices we will make. But it’s still our free choices, his knowledge doesn’t affect our choices any more than me telling you now what I had for lunch would affect my choice in what I had for lunch.

You could question the details, such as a person born into a violent situation versus someone born into a peaceful, loving environment. We can assume this would influence our choices in life, but god says that the child for it’s parents sins. So this kind of detail across all the people of the world does require faith that everyone has a fair chance, but in principle, if you believe him that overall everyone has an equivalent choice, it’s not about god making the decision for us.

Of course there are universalists that believe something different, mainly in the orthodox church, but it’s difficult to support that from scripture (in my view).
You are providing me another apologetic for a doctrine which I claim is nowhere to be found in scripture and is a result of flawed dualist thinking. Under the monist metamorphic view, such a question does not even arise because we are not other than God and we are truly bringing self-aware intent into the world-evolving process which was not there before. We do not fall into conundrums such as predestined-foreknown camps of humanity consigned to damnation by a loving God.

That being said, I still find your apologetic wanting - any sort of predestination undermines free choice as in meaningful choice. If a political election is rigged so that my candidate cannot possibly win under any circumstances, my vote is meaningless.
Simon wrote:Oh I’m definitely not claiming that reason can’t help us to know about the universe/MaL, and indeed about god. This goes back to our different ways of knowing discussion. I was purely focusing on the different types of transcendent experience there.
Yes but the precise claim of Aquinas' was that another science can be developed under the Spirit's illumination via Reason, i.e. spiritual science. Even if you disagree with Steiner's version, do you agree that such a thing is possible?
Last edited by AshvinP on Mon May 10, 2021 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

Eugene I wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:15 am Hence the continuous efforts to keep the faith consistent and aligned within one Church, and considering disagreements in faith as heresy that, if not rectified, entailing in the excommunication form the body of Christ. As a result, even Catholics and Orthodox Christians, with their tiny and indistinguishable for anyone without PhD in theology difference in theology (filioque), excommunicated each other.
Excommunication is just the spiritual equivalent of putting someone in jail. It’s the removal from the body until their ‘behaviour’ is more in line with what the rest of the body considers healthy. If I were to preach a violent jihad against the UK government I would be locked up in jail because the body of our society agrees that’s not a healthy message to spread.

It’s only meant to be temporary… if possible.
St Augustine
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:15 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:03 am Well, if we are simply ignoring all of the medieval thinkers I quoted in this part of the essay... then perhaps that "amalgamation" claim is somewhat accurate. There is a healthy form of "tearing apart", just as thinkers like Hoffman and Arakani-Hamed are "tearing apart" GR and QM to find a deeper sub-structure of explanation. That is also what we are doing here. No different from what Christ was doing through his Incarnation:

Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it."
Such "tearing apart" process is absolutely healthy and normal in science, it is the way science avoids stagnation. In Christianity it was supposed to be different, as St. Paul said - Christians are supposed to be united in one Church and in one faith as "the body of Christ":
There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism (Ephesians 4:5)
So in Christ we who are many are one body, and each member belongs to one another (1 Corinthians 12:27)
Hence the continuous efforts to keep the faith consistent and aligned within one Church, and considering disagreements in faith as heresy that, if not rectified, entailing in the excommunication form the body of Christ. As a result, even Catholics and Orthodox Christians, with their tiny and indistinguishable for anyone without PhD in theology difference in theology (filioque), excommunicated each other.
Again this goes to the central premise of these essays - there are not two separate essential ways of knowing in science vs. spirituality. I truly believe and take seriously this assertion in this essay:

"With Aquinas, we see an abstract yet vital penetration of the psychic realm into the physical realm, so that they can, in fact, be regarded as one and the same realm. If the matter had been left there, then natural science would have proceeded in the light of the Spirit's powerful illumination. Yet such a development never came to pass for reasons we will explore soon."

Although upon consideration that was a bad phrasing, because such a development did come to pass, starting with Goethe's science. It has just remained a very marginal and mostly unknown stream of scientific pursuit.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Eugene I

Post by Eugene I »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:48 am "With Aquinas, we see an abstract yet vital penetration of the psychic realm into the physical realm, so that they can, in fact, be regarded as one and the same realm. If the matter had been left there, then natural science would have proceeded in the light of the Spirit's powerful illumination. Yet such a development never came to pass for reasons we will explore soon."
I actually agree with that, since under idealism the physical realm originates from the spiritual, hence we would need to reach to spiritual in order to penetrate deeper into the origins of the laws of the physical. The problem is, as I said before, that the scientific method of natural sciences breaks when science attempts to extrapolate onto the spiritual realm, because in the spiritual there are no verifiable and reproducible facts anymore against which we can test the scientific models. And Reason alone is able to produce an innumerable number of different models of spiritual reality, each self-consistent but contradicting others, so that without any way to verify them experimentally against facts, this would lead to nowhere.
"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:42 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:48 am "With Aquinas, we see an abstract yet vital penetration of the psychic realm into the physical realm, so that they can, in fact, be regarded as one and the same realm. If the matter had been left there, then natural science would have proceeded in the light of the Spirit's powerful illumination. Yet such a development never came to pass for reasons we will explore soon."
I actually agree with that, since under idealism the physical realm originates from the spiritual, hence we would need to reach to spiritual in order to penetrate deeper into the origins of the laws of the physical. The problem is, as I said before, that the scientific method of natural sciences breaks when science attempts to extrapolate onto the spiritual realm, because in the spiritual there are no verifiable and reproducible facts anymore against which we can test the scientific models. And Reason alone is able to produce an innumerable number of different models of spiritual reality, each self-consistent but contradicting others, so that without any way to verify them experimentally against facts, this would lead to nowhere.
Why is it that the spiritual realm cannot contain verifiable and reproducible facts unlike the 'physical' realm? Is there any reason apart from our simple assertion that this is the way it must be? Keeping in mind, we cannot appeal to difference of opinion/interpretation of spiritual facts because that happens plenty in all mainstream scientific fields studying the 'physical' realm as well. Neither can we appeal to past ignorance of the spiritual facts because that is equally if not more true of mainstream 'physical' science which only picked up in the last 500 years.
Simon Adams

Post by Simon Adams »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:40 am
You are providing me another apologetic for a doctrine which I claim is nowhere to be found in scripture and is a result of flawed dualist thinking. Under the monist metamorphic view, such a question does not even arise because we are not other than God and we are truly bringing self-aware intent into the world-evolving process which was not there before. We do not fall into conundrums such as predestined-foreknown camps of humanity consigned to damnation by a loving God.
Forgive me for being blunt, but I think you a completely missing the difference between our relationship to time and god’s perspective from outside of time. You are not the only one to do this, for some reason people don’t seem to be able to imagine a perspective of being outside time and having knowledge of all time.

Also, to say it’s not found in scripture is strange as it seems very clear to me. For example this clear case from Paul, Romans 8:28–30:
We know that in everything God works for good with [bold] those who love him, who are called according to his purpose.For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son[/bold], in order that he might be the first-born among many brethren. And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified.
Ashvin wrote:That being said, I still find your apologetic wanting - any sort of predestination undermines free choice as in meaningful choice. If a political election is rigged so that my candidate cannot possibly win under any circumstances, my vote is meaningless.
No that’s a complete misunderstanding. ‘Knowledge of’ is not the same as influencing. You know that Biden won the last election, does that mean you caused him to win?
Yes but the precise claim of Aquinas' was that another science can be developed under the Spirit's illumination via Reason, i.e. spiritual science. Even if you disagree with Steiner's version, do you agree that such a thing is possible?
One thing to remember is that Aquinas had a different view of what science means than we do, it’s about knowledge that can be established from ‘the causes’, as opposed to speculation. This is different from todays meaning, which is in theory more about repeatable empirical evidence. You could argue that our version of science is a much narrower definition, but interestingly much of what happens in modern physics would probably fall outside of Aquinas’s definition of science. It would fall under “doxa” instead.

I should say that there is a part of me that fully supports your intention here, as my default response is always about what I disagree with. The way our academics and our culture have hived off stuff “we know” through science from stuff we experience “subjectively”, and treated the latter as inferior, is harmful bullshit.

Nonetheless l’m also a realist. We have evolved a huge range of disciples over the past few centuries, and each of them have developed their own partial but sophisticated framework, with their own rules for discerning validity. With the “hard” sciences, there are big areas of overlap where you can match the ‘knowledge’ in one area with the ‘knowledge’ in another.

However even in those areas it still reveals how very primitive our knowledge is. For example, biologists talk about photosynthesis, the basic function without which there would be no life. They have a very detailed story from chemistry about how the sun, water and carbon dioxide capture energy from the sun to produce proteins. But ask three physicists about what is happening and each of them will probably give you a different answer, as they just don’t know how the knowledge from biology and the knowledge from chemistry are working together.

When you then add areas like psychology, sociology, history etc into the mix, this problem is magnified exponentially. Add art, literature, poetry, and it’s exponential on top of exponential. The different ways of knowing by then have such different perspectives, and such different ways of discerning value from not value, that you would need to have specialist subjects about how to correspond the knowledge from each discipline to each other discipline. That would be an extremely messy process, and would by almost certainly be wrong most of the time.

For me this is the biggest problem with your approach. We could speak to a Freudian, a Jungian, an atheist, a Jew, a Hindi and a Buddhist about physics, and we all would know the ground rules. Each of these could be scientists working on the same area, and each would value each others work and opinion. Each of them may have a different conclusion about what the results mean in a wider context, and I agree that this Kantian separation between the empirical results and the wider implications is damaging. The lack of any ontology being applied naturally results in an assumption of the lowest common denominator ontology - physicalism. Of course that’s not the case for many individuals working in science, as they have their own grand narrative of which their work is just a part.

To me the answer is not to try to change the definition of science. As Einstein remarked, the increasing specialisation in science is too far gone to expect anyone to retain the broad horizon of knowledge. Even a polymath has to at some point accept a high level summary from the specialists. Instead the answer must be to challenge the assumed ontology of physicalism, and I think there is hope in this area. That way we have a better chance of the high level summaries having more informed metaphysical assumptions, and we have a better chance of fitting the different high level jigsaw pieces together.
St Augustine
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

AshvinP wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:40 pm
Eugene I wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:01 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:25 pm That's a very good way of asking the question. It forces us to consider why we think we are not worthy of the actual reunion. Why we assume Augustine's concepts of "total depravity" and "predestination", which found their way into the much of Reformed tradition, must be the accurate view of our relation to God. We will find that the reason is ultimately not much different than the reason materialists-dualists cannot accept the subject plays any role in the reality of the object, that our consciousness plays any role in the reality of the 'unconscious' world around us.
There may be many possible perspective on this topic of dissociation-reunion, neither of which may be entirely correct, and all of which may be partially true. But another perspective (supported by many NDE accounts) is that it has nothing to do with any "fall", of being "worthy" or "not worthy". Dissociation and incarnation is a way for the MAL to explore the reality of its own consciousness from many possible perspectives, both expanded/integrated and contracted/fragmented. Neither of them are "truer" than any others, "higher" or "lower", they are all valuable experiences and ways to explore the infinite space of conscious states and ideas. But dissociated and fragmented states typically involve confusion, memory loss and suffering, and when alters live through their fragmented phases, they suffer, get confused and seek the ways back into integration, and this is completely natural and expected. Yet, the telos of this whole adventure might not not be specifically to integrate from fragmentation, but actually to experience the fragmentation in order to perceive the reality from different perspectives, and then integrate those perspectives into the wholeness of the MAL knowledge, including the experiential knowledge about the aspects of the reality of consciousness that MAL can not experience in the integrated state. Here is an interesting NDE account about this":
If such were the case, i.e. all equally valid perspectives simply being explored and then integrated or not as the case may be for each localized consciousness, then we would also have to admit our speculation here is a complete waste of time. It also seems to me your bolded statement is at odds with the earlier points in the comment. If integration is not "higher" than non-integration, then we have no reason to say anyone should be striving towards integration. Moreover, we have no answer to the question of evil and suffering, because we are claiming the integration which relieves such evil and suffering is no more desirable than the fragmented perspective which necessitates it.
Here let's revert to the whirlpool metaphor, as limited as it may be. Imagine being a stream, the immanent nature of which is to eventually create and experience whirlpoolness, and while that is occurring then that is what some focus of attention revolves around. However, as the stream ceases creating and experiencing one ephemeral instance of whirlpoolness, it reverts to carrying on without that particular focus, while not precluding others. So in that sense there is no longer thinking in terms of disunion><reunion but more like diversion><reversion, with the realization being that all modes are integral.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.