Alien Languages

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Robert Arvay

Alien Languages

Post by Robert Arvay »

In another post, I offered the video of the octopus nervous system being decentralized.
This forces us to consider whether exo-planetary life forms might be so radically different
from us, especially different from our brains, that we might find communicating with them
impossible, or extremely difficult -- if the aliens even WISH to communicate with us.

The video link above discusses languages in general, indeed, communications in general,
and then applies that to the question of what kind of languages aliens might have.

My speculation: our language tends to be linear. Advanced alien languages might be holistic.

Food for thought (whatever thought is, LOL)
-
Shaibei

Re: Alien Languages

Post by Shaibei »

I would not even go far to aliens. To me, the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis is not entirely unfounded. It is possible that the fact that a person speaks another language makes him look at reality a little differently. As one whose English is not his first language (as can be noticed) I find for example that when I bring a verse from the Bible in English verses tend to get lost in translation. I'm not talking about incorrect translation (it also exists), I'm talking about their spirit and music.
"And a mute thought sails,
like a swift cloud on high.
Were I to ask, here below,
Amongst the gates of desolation:
Where goes
this captive of the heavens?
There is no one who can reveal to me the book,
or explain to me the chapters."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Robert Arvay wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:24 am and then applies that to the question of what kind of languages aliens might have.

My speculation: our language tends to be linear. Advanced alien languages might be holistic.

Food for thought (whatever thought is, LOL)
-
Have you seen the movie Arrival (2016)? I really enjoyed it.
Twelve extraterrestrial spacecraft hover over disparate locations around the Earth. Affected nations send military and scientific experts to monitor and study them; in the United States, US Army Colonel Weber recruits Banks and physicist Ian Donnelly to study the craft above Montana. On board, Banks and Donnelly make contact with two cephalopod-like, seven-limbed aliens, whom they call 'heptapods'; Donnelly nicknames them Abbott and Costello. Banks and Donnelly research the complex written language of the aliens, consisting of palindrome phrases written with circular symbols, and share the results with other nations.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Robert Arvay

Post by Robert Arvay »

I have not seen it, but you have piqued my interest.
Thanks.
-