Footage of 'spherical' UFO

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Jim Cross

Re: Footage of 'spherical' UFO

Post by Jim Cross »

Robert,

I provided a link to his lies on vaccines.

But anyway, back to topic.

I think there is a problem with trying to give metaphysical import to UFOs and other unusual phenomena. There is too much of a possibility of having a Rorschach test type of effect. We can imagine patterns and meaning in random or nearly random phenomena. Closely related are optical illusions and magic. An ordinary airplane with the right lighting and flying toward an observer can look like a hovering sphere for example. Magicians all of the time perform feats that looks impossible but are just tricks. The government could, in fact, be the magician in this case. And to the extent the tracking software of the planes works in any way similar to human vision it could also have vulnerabilities to something similar to optical illusions.

There is just enormous potential to read into strange phenomena your own wishful thinking.
Robert Arvay

Post by Robert Arvay »

I provided a link to his lies on vaccines.

But anyway, back to topic.

I think there is a problem with trying to give metaphysical import to UFOs and other unusual phenomena. There is too much of a possibility of having a Rorschach test type of effect. We can imagine patterns and meaning in random or nearly random phenomena. Closely related are optical illusions and magic. An ordinary airplane with the right lighting and flying toward an observer can look like a hovering sphere for example. Magicians all of the time perform feats that looks impossible but are just tricks. The government could, in fact, be the magician in this case. And to the extent the tracking software of the planes works in any way similar to human vision it could also have vulnerabilities to something similar to optical illusions.

There is just enormous potential to read into strange phenomena your own wishful thinking.
1. Not lies, controversial comments on an obfuscated subject on which the government has repeatedly contradicted itself.

2. I agree with you on the need for skepticism (extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence). During WW2, the British actually employed a professional "magician" to deceive the Germans with optical illusions, and his ruses worked spectacularly.
Metaphysically, the reality we see is not necessarily reality as it is.
That said, we rely on tangible evidence to refine our conclusions, and in a few days, according to some, much stronger evidence will be produced. IF and when that happens, we can form a more fact-based opinion.
Until then, we can fall back on Occam, and favor mundane conclusions.
-
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Odd UFO things continue. I just recently re-watched the movie Arrival (2019) before these reports started coming out, which is mostly why I am paying more attention, but still...

"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:08 pm Gave some consideration to abducting an intelligent life form, checked out the Navy vessel, and went with an octopus.
Good one. :)

My hypothesis is that the flying saucers come from our future timeline, and are made of pure math.