Spinoza's God

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Eugene I

Spinoza's God

Post by Eugene I »

"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kanzas anymore" Dorothy
AshvinP

Re: Spinoza's God

Post by AshvinP »

Eugene I wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:27 pm
Spinoza is a fascinating philosopher! Only in the modern era could someone like him be called an "atheist" simply because he posits that we can know God through the "laws of nature". It goes to show how much the Spirit was flipped on its head in that era, consigned to an unknown "supernatural" realm. For someone following the metamorphic progression of Spirit from the OT to the NT, without any such prior assumptions, the revelation that the Spirit of God came into the world could not be any more clear. Not just a "part" of God, but God in his entire essence. That is what we gather in thought every time we look at the Cross. Yet the most well-known theologians today are the ones who preach in the opposite direction and deny the Incarnation in the substance of nearly every sermon they give. It is a sight to behold. But there was a time when I thought that way and was convinced that someone saying things like I am saying now are ignorant "new age" heretics. So, I try to remind myself not to be too hard on them...
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"