Souls Explain Brains

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Robert Arvay

Souls Explain Brains

Post by Robert Arvay »

https://headtruth.blogspot.com/2021/05/ ... t-dna.html

Every time I link to one of Mark Mahan's commentaries, I feel obliged to state that while I tend
to agree with him in general, we differ in some important respects.

Nevertheless, his posts are well worth reading, as is this one.

https://headtruth.blogspot.com/2021/05/ ... t-dna.html
Jim Cross

Re: Souls Explain Brains

Post by Jim Cross »

Actually the title of what your link is

A Soul Might Explain Instincts, but DNA and Brains Cannot

That's quite different from Souls Explain Brains, which I don't think you intended. Or did you?

However, I think instincts are built-in physiological and neurological patterns constructed from genetic and epigenetic instructions that exist largely prior to learning.
Robert Arvay

Post by Robert Arvay »

Mark Mahan says,
One of the central myths about DNA is the idea . . . that it is some kind of blueprint for an organism.
I think my title is an apt summation of Mahan's extensive commentary, but I won't belabor the point.
Jim said,
However, I think instincts are built-in physiological and neurological patterns constructed from genetic and epigenetic instructions that exist largely prior to learning.
Mahan addressed this, and if I read him correctly, he strongly disagrees.

While I am not always comfortable with Mahan's details, I think he is onto something.

My analogy is cosmological.
The observed structure of the universe (galaxies, clusters and galactic strings, etc)
is due to some invisible gravity-inducing substance (if it is indeed a substance) called "Dark Matter."

Similarly, if I may speculate, the organization of biochemicals into living organisms
is due to something that used to be called Élan vital, loosely translated as a "Life Force."

My speculation is that Élan vital, like consciousness, is not produced by matter, but that
it exists on a sort of higher level, a more foundational level.

As do Idealists, I find no plausible physical explanation for consciousness,
and many reasons to reject that explanation.

For example, consciousness is the only observed phenomenon that observes itself.
It is the consciousness of consciousness, the perception of perception, the observation of observation.
These descriptions are recursive, which strongly works against the physicalist definitions,
not only of consciousness, but of its two partners in tri-unity --
Life, (Consciousness) and Free Will

There are other arguable world views, but until I find a reason to change mine,
(as they say in the old gangster movies of yore)
that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
-
-
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

My speculation is that Élan vital, like consciousness, is not produced by matter, but that
This is a common attitude but I find that it actually denigrates our existence. It makes it something second rate, whereas I don't believe it is.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower 
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand 
And Eternity in an hour
Robert Arvay

Post by Robert Arvay »

This is a common attitude but I find that it actually denigrates our existence. It makes it something second rate, whereas I don't believe it is.
I am mystified by that finding.
SanteriSatama

Post by SanteriSatama »

Jim Cross wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:36 am

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower 
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand 
And Eternity in an hour
How do you see, feel, hear, taste, smell and think the relation of sentience and matter?
Robert Arvay

Post by Robert Arvay »

How does any of this denigrate our existence?
I think it rather gives us more meaningfulness.
consciousness is the only observed phenomenon that observes itself.